• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A scoped CVA Wolf muzzleloader (.50cal) will allow the boy to get an extra hunting season in.

It's not a hard learning curve with 50 grain pellets and sabot bullets. Definitely, no recoil. A heck of a lot lighter than a shotgun.

Last edited:

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    A scoped CVA Wolf muzzleloader (.50cal) will allow the boy to get an extra hunting season in.

It's not a hard learning curve with 50 grain pellets and sabot bullets. Definitely, no recoil. A heck of a lot lighter than a shotgun.
    Great handy rifle. Recoil is more push than kick. Good way to teach, "make the first shot count" and also cleaning and maintenance.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have a 556 and 22lr upper from them that works pretty well. It's funny on their website for the 350 Legend they have a disclaimer (paraphrasing) "other manufacturers have feeding issues too"
    I believe a lot of the feeding issues along all brands were mostly magazine related. Relief ridges in the front portion of mags designed for the 5.56 were causing friction with the 350. I think most of that has been fixed, use proper mags.
    ML as mentioned would be good also, more than doubles your hunting opportunities.

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Savage 220 is a fantastic choice, but they are a bit pricey.

I have one that I've been considering selling as I rarely use it now.... Located in MoCo.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I see Bear Creek Arsenal makes a 350 legend upper. As long as it's accurate at 50 yards and can load 1 round, that may be a good option.
    I put a scope and one of their uppers together yesterday on a lower I had laying around just yesterday.
    I laughed my ass off becuase it shot less than half MOA with a little bit of effort and some training wheels for a rest. I never would have expected what I witnessed.

My wife even looked like an expert and she cant even see 50 yards without glasses but could manage cloverleaf groups at 100 yds. And she doesn't even shoot CF rifles for the most part.
    I never would have guessed that either.

Hell I even took the time to clean it afterwards against expert advice.
    It is the 18" version with some sort of Iron man FFT and some 5round mags that were with it, about 10 good dabs of some STP and Winchester SP hunting ammo 180's.
    At 200 the ammo dropped 8 moa. No ftf, fTe's or other deviations often associated with the brand so fingers crossed.

Detractors were, there was too much ammo availability for a quick range session so no sense of urgency, Assembly and preparation was too easy, there were no malfunctions to pine over, upper lower fit not optimal,
    I used points to obtain China scope and Warne mount fro someone elses rifle. Those 5 shot mags were a little much I seem to recall. However no laundry list of ladder charts here, boring manufacture accessory part numbers oratories, synthetic BCG oil application rituals etc.
    Winchester powder formulation doesn't dump enough particulate to nearly ruin by over cleaning. Cannot inspect muzzle due to helix cut flash suppressor/ unsure of effectiveness during low light ops at this time.

All in all I think polk stalk SG's and 3-4 dollar a round ammo is likely a thing of the past. And really what I learned is being more open minded to non traditional equipment just might be an eye opener if you allow it planning for a deer getter/combine-lender swamp beavertail boat rig mud gun. Even for a kid with appropriate mature guidance or an experienced adult advanced hunter.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Used is good. I didn't see the age of your son, so that could be a factor.

Me, I had the kids learn the AR. First deer at 9 and the second at 10 a few days later.
    AR's can run many legal calibers (yes, I know it's FPS and muzzle energy in MD).

With the AR platform you can change calibers faster then your shoes.

Attachments

• Char first deer.JPG
      Char first deer.JPG
      85 KB · Views: 48
    • Char deer 2.JPG
      Char deer 2.JPG
      98.2 KB · Views: 51

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The BCA feeding issues are not overblown. Mine is basically a single shot most of the time. I've tried different mags, tuned the feed lips, and sent the upper back to them for polishing.

Stick with a Ruger or savage bolt action.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Remington 870 youth 870 in 20 guage is what I got my son when he was small and wanted to go hunting

It was a great gun and it came with 2 barrels, one for deer hunting and one for upland game

He shot many deer, squirrels and dove with it until he outgrew it

That would be my choice

There's a whole lot to be said for this idea! Combo opens up new user to any of the clay sports, plus 7 months or more of various Maryland hunting seasons. Many uses in some form or fashion.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    There's a whole lot to be said for this idea! Combo opens up new user to any of the clay sports, plus 7 months or more of various Maryland hunting seasons. Many uses in some form or fashion.
    Yes dir

That way they are not tied to only one type of hunting or shooting

Imo it’s the best firearm for a kid and it opens up many possibilities

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yes dir

That way they are not tied to only one type of hunting or shooting

Imo it’s the best firearm for a kid and it opens up many possibilities

Indeed. Not the least of which, in addition to all of the above, is fostering familiarity, safe handling practices and respect. How do you do that? By keeping a youth engaged, and a firearm for a wide variety of activities in junior's hands.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

I was thinking the same thing and have given this advice to others.

I think the easiest way to get a new person a deer is it the Early ML season. Bucks respond well to rattling at that time of year also.
    You can use one statewide in all seasons except archery season.
    You can shoot lighter bullets with less powder if recoil is an issue.

One con is some bullets and caps can be hard to find these days.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    A Savage bolt action in 350 legend would be my recommendation. Both the Axis and Apex line have an 18” barrel. The Apex has an adjustable LOP. Very mild recoil and accurate.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I ordered a BCA 350 Legend upper and it just arrived yesterday. I'm going to polish the feed ramp and chamber and give it a try this weekend and see how it goes. I also ordered a couple CMMG 350 Legend 5 round mags that will arrive in a couple weeks.

@teratos I just saw your offer. (don't know how I missed it?) I appreciate it and still may be interested for Junior. Let me know if it is 20 gauge and we can work out a deal.
    Thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Only if you are running it “slow” with a 50 grain pellet. My CVA Wolf with a 110gr charge of BH209 and 300gr .44 XTPs has about as much, or slightly more recoil velocity than my Remington 870 with 28” barrel and 3” turkey shot shells. It is a light scope on there, but a Wolf is a very light muzzleloader. I mean, I love it, but it is high recoil with a stout charge in it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Only if you are running it “slow” with a 50 grain pellet. My CVA Wolf with a 110gr charge of BH209 and 300gr .44 XTPs has about as much, or slightly more recoil velocity than my Remington 870 with 28” barrel and 3” turkey shot shells. It is a light scope on there, but a Wolf is a very light muzzleloader. I mean, I love it, but it is high recoil with a stout charge in it.
    I meant to say "using 50 grain pellets".

The standard deer charge of powder is 100 grains, or 2 50 grain pellets.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The BCA feeding issues are not overblown. Mine is basically a single shot most of the time. I've tried different mags, tuned the feed lips, and sent the upper back to them for polishing.

Stick with a Ruger or savage bolt action.
    I have a CMMG and it won’t feed for chit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Youth weekend in VA starts before archery. Im pretty sure MD has a similar youth weekend. Very helpful.
    Youth weekend is around veteran’s day in MD. Archery season opens the second Friday in September and ends the end of January (only closed on youth day and Sundays some counties).

That is a great time for kids to be afield. I’ll admit it kind of annoys me, but that’s also when I want to be out there in my stand hunting! Not like kids can come hunt on my property. But I get it. So it is more a mild annoyance than me being actually mad about it.

If not looking for extra season hunting time, I’d consider going a 300BO or 6.5 Grendel if you won’t be hunting straight wall counties. The later is a fantastic deer round with highly manageable recoil. The former can make a much lighter firearm that is more pleasant to shoot. A 16.1” barreled 300BO is pretty low muzzle blast and is easier to suppress and carry around and no real impact on ballistics.

Straight wall counties, a 44 magnum rifle is really hard to beat. Great on deer. And recoil is still very manageable. I would not do a .357 for a kid. Shot placement is so much more crucial and the ballistics means you really want to be sure it’s a pretty close shot (which, granted, all of my deer harvested have been). A .41 magnum rifle would actually be a fantastic youth rifle for a great mix of ballistics, hard hitting, and light recoiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom