• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • [Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    My son asked me if I would take him hunting this season, and we'll be taking a hunter safety course next month. Assuming we deer hunt there would be a good chance we would be in a shotgun only zone. Unless there are better suggestions, I'm probably getting a 20 gauge shotgun.

Questions:
    Why are bolt action shotguns so costly?
    Should I stay away from a single shot shotgun? They are pretty inexpensive.
    or
    Just keep it versatile and get a Mossberg pump and put on a red dot?

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I personally would prefer a 20 gauge for a younger hunter. You can get one with iron sights like a Rossi or New England used at one of the gun shops. 20 gauge is longer range and basically less drop than a 12 gauge slug. Nothing the matter with break opens if you dont mind bead sights. Also Mossberg 20 gauge with a slug barrel is an option. I bought my sons and grand sons single shots and also a pump 20 gauge. Most places are shotgun unless you go western Maryland.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I see Bear Creek Arsenal makes a 350 legend upper. As long as it's accurate at 50 yards and can load 1 round, that may be a good option.
    I’m a fan of the Savage Axis rifles. Accurate, reasonably priced, and includes a scope.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Ruger and Savage and Winchester all make a great youth worthy bolt actions. My kids killed their first deer using a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Single shot break action, 20 ga with rifled heavy barrel.
    Rossi, H&R, etc.
    Simple, safe, effective.
    In fact, over 10 years ago I switched to a H&R 20ga USH (heavy barrel) youth/compact as my deer management gun, I never looked back.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I personally would prefer a 20 gauge for a younger hunter. You can get one with iron sights like a Rossi or New England used at one of the gun shops. 20 gauge is longer range and basically less drop than a 12 gauge slug. Nothing the matter with break opens if you dont mind bead sights. Also Mossberg 20 gauge with a slug barrel is an option. I bought my sons and grand sons single shots and also a pump 20 gauge. Most places are shotgun unless you go western Maryland.
    I have 3 heavy rifled barreled break action 20ga (2-H&R, 1_ Rossi), They all came tapped with a scope mount.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    My son asked me if I would take him hunting this season, and we'll be taking a hunter safety course next month. Assuming we deer hunt there would be a good chance we would be in a shotgun only zone. Unless there are better suggestions, I'm probably getting a 20 gauge shotgun.

Questions:
    Why are bolt action shotguns so costly?
    Should I stay away from a single shot shotgun? They are pretty inexpensive.
    or
    Just keep it versatile and get a Mossberg pump and put on a red dot?
    I had/have a Mossberg 500 20ga with a rifled barrel, I tried to start my 3 kids on it,, It kicked like a mule and my oldest (8 at the time) shyed away form it (and hunting) for a year or so.

I picked up a Rossi 20ga break open single shot with a heavy rifled barrel, it had 1/2 the kick of the M500, all my kids hunted with it and a H&R 20 ga USH

Where are you located??

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Remington 870 youth 870 in 20 guage is what I got my son when he was small and wanted to go hunting

It was a great gun and it came with 2 barrels, one for deer hunting and one for upland game

He dhot many deer, squirrels and dove with it until he outgrew it

That would be my choice

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Worst thing I ever learned teaching my kids to hunt is most "youth" guns are made light and kick like a damn mule. Consider the weights of guns in the purchase as kids don't want to shoot what they are afraid of. Single shot shotguns were probably the worst.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would go with the Savage 220. See if you can find one used. They are easy to resell if it doesn't work out. I use mine in Frederick Co where rifles are allowed. I love that gun. Surprisingly gentle to shoot and very accurate.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Another vote for the 350 Legend. Except for a few public lands you can use it statewide, economical practice ammo, very little recoil. Easy.
    As for brand, most of the big names make one, Bear Creek uppers are a crap shoot from all the internet banter. Even so at less than $300 even if it’s reliability is that of a single shot, you’re not out much. :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have a H&R single shot 20 gauge (I’m pretty sure it’s 20g) he can have, if interested. I don’t even know where I got it, I’ve had it forever, it just sits there.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Worst thing I ever learned teaching my kids to hunt is most "youth" guns are made light and kick like a damn mule. Consider the weights of guns in the purchase as kids don't want to shoot what they are afraid of. Single shot shotguns were probably the worst.
    Most single shot lines are available with a HEAVY 20ga rifled barrel.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I had/have a Mossberg 500 20ga with a rifled barrel, I tried to start my 3 kids on it,, It kicked like a mule and my oldest (8 at the time) shyed away form it (and hunting) for a year or so.

I picked up a Rossi 20ga break open single shot with a heavy rifled barrel, it had 1/2 the kick of the M500, all my kids hunted with it and a H&R 20 ga USH

Where are you located??
    Is that the version with the scope mount?
    I'm in Mount Airy

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Another vote for the 350 Legend. Except for a few public lands you can use it statewide, economical practice ammo, very little recoil. Easy.
    As for brand, most of the big names make one, Bear Creek uppers are a crap shoot from all the internet banter. Even so at less than $300 even if it’s reliability is that of a single shot, you’re not out much. :)
    I have a 556 and 22lr upper from them that works pretty well. It's funny on their website for the 350 Legend they have a disclaimer (paraphrasing) "other manufacturers have feeding issues too"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom