• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Vltor stock in itself won't do it, they are referring to a Vltor A5 system which has a longer buffer tube. You can use an magpul ACS or Vltor to get a longer LOP.

You will need buffer spacers to run that with most 9mm buffers as there will be more bolt travel.

I have the A5 system and it still wouldn't make the minimum length with the 8.5 barrel. I will have to pin something on it to make that length.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Have you looked into integrally suppressed 9mm bbls? You're only , maybe, an inch and a half from making 29'', right? ...or am I wishfully thinking?

No, I wouldn't want that. I want many hosts for my suppressor, no since in another $200 for a 1 gun suppressor.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have the A5 system and it still wouldn't make the minimum length with the 8.5 barrel. I will have to pin something on it to make that length.

I never said that it would. The Vltor RE and a longer Carbine Stock will only add about 1.25". at 9" you will get darn close. 9.5" will make it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Simple question for a simple mind:) MD aside, does ATF have a min OAL for an SBR?

AFAIK, if it has a butt, it's a rifle. If it has a barrel shorter than 16", it's an SBR. Never heard of a minimum length.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Maybe this would add OAL when FULLY extended ?
    7dd11ddd9ab27f37e7d506db50abaf33.jpg

Mako Group GLR16 with Cheek Riser

Last edited:

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    You guys just need to take a page from the MN gun owners when building these.

DSCN0418w-1.jpg

DSCN0417w.jpg

The can fits inside a sleeve that is perm attached to the end of the barrel, you may have to have the shoulder before the threads begin turned back slightly But the can slides down inside the tube and attaches, the tube being perm attached brings the barrel to the length you need.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Simple question for a simple mind:) MD aside, does ATF have a min OAL for an SBR?

Not a minimum, but a <26" rifle is an SBR no matter the length of the barrel. A 25.9" OAL rifle, even if it has a 16.1" barrel is an SBR. Typ requires a bullpup config to run afoul of that rule.

The can fits inside a sleeve that is perm attached to the end of the barrel
    Same as tac-sol 10/22 barrel. Other folks have done it to. Good for avoiding an SBR stamp.
    sbx.jpg

But if you still want a short SBR and can do that level of work anyway, just extend a buffer tube. Thats the solution to the OPs question. A couple of us have discussed it at length and think you could make a AR w/ ~6" barrel meet the 29" MD law and not move the minimum past the A2 stock LOP. Get two buffers, chop one, a little welding it to the other and bingo. FWIW, use 6061 tubes to make your life easier.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Not a minimum, but a <26" rifle is an SBR no matter the length of the barrel. A 25.9" OAL rifle, even if it has a 16.1" barrel is an SBR. Typ requires a bullpup config to run afoul of that rule.

Same as tac-sol 10/22 barrel. Other folks have done it to. Good for avoiding an SBR stamp.
    sbx.jpg

But if you still want a short SBR and can do that level of work anyway, just extend a buffer tube. Thats the solution to the OPs question. A couple of us have discussed it at length and think you could make a AR w/ ~6" barrel meet the 29" MD law and not move the minimum past the A2 stock LOP. Get two buffers, chop one, a little welding it to the other and bingo. FWIW, use 6061 tubes to make your life easier.

On the design i posted you could take it a step farther have the end of the tube threaded for an end cap use an ID that just happens to share with a freeze plug and file a stamp on it, engrave it and boom, now its a can :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have one Vltor Basic EMOD kit, milspec, with A5 kit. Black in color. Has a few scuffs on the tube but nothing you will notice when installed. In box with part number AEBK-A5B.

Price-$5,175.00 or Best Offer. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom