• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I'm sure someone here has some answers for me as I know the level of knowledge with out members. Please give me any advice or personal opinions you have. I have a range I can shoot out to 300 yards. I currently do that with my ar-15 and a red dot. I'm looking to start shooting further, say to 1000 and beyond. I don't mind the travel since this is going to be a new hobby for me. 300 will probably quickly lose the thrill so I'm thinking ahead.

I want to get a rifle to start shooting at those extreme distances. The problem is I don't have a ton of knowledge for bolt guns, and searching the Internet runs me in circles. I've always shot hunting rifles but I'm looking for something different.

I want to get started without spending a ton for now until I work my way up past 300 and out to the long ranges. I'm thinking 308 so I can learn the wind calibrations and everything that gos with it. From what I've read, 6.5 creedmor is great but I feel like I'd learn more with a 308. I was also thinking maybe a 300 win mag, but I don't wanna get beat up by recoil.

So what are your suggestions? What is the best starting out rifle? Something I can upgrade as I go and learn. Something that I can put a muzzlebrake on? What will give me the most bang for my buck?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You are doing it backwards. These folks have rifle recommendations that will be important to hear.

Get with them first, talk, buy rifle, shoot.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    First things first. Keep your AR. Shoot smaller targets. Then consider a bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmore. At range, it has 25% less drop in elevation and 25% less wind drift than comparable .308. Which means its easier to shoot longer range with less deviation and it will be easier to track your own impacts because it recoils less. The Ruger American is generally considered a solid 1 MOA gun from the factory.

bmeek

Jan 24, 2013
    I have a Remington 700 in 308 that is a great shooter, but you end up upgrading everything over time which makes it much more expensive than the initial investment. I'd look hard at the Ruger RPR for an entry into long range that has gotten great reviews out of the box for such an inexpensive rifle. Good luck finding one right now though and glass for long range can get crazy quick. Check out SWFA or Burris XTR II line for inexpensive quality glass.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Dicks in Glen Burnie and Gambrills both have RPR in 6.5 creedmor. Just looked at them today. I thought learning on a 308 would be harder, but more valuable because I'll have to develop the principals. Maybe I'm wrong and should just go 6.5 creedmor from the start. I just looked at the Savage 11, Savage 10, and Remington 700. I'd rather stick with a more traditional rifle. The RPR just didn't do it for me. That along with a high price tag right off the start and it's not even a truly customized rifle. I get that it fits a need but I want a rifle to start with that isn't over the top, and that I can customize as my skills grow. I'll wait and see what some of the options here are. The biggest problem I've had is there are so many variations from both manufacturers. And that's not even including the Tikka rifles everyone seems to like on the web. Decisions decisions. Rack and Roll I do want to hear from the more experienced guys before I purchase anything. I was saying eventually I'd like to take the class after I get some recommendations and make a purchase.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    I found a two month old Model 77VT in .308 Wisconsin for 400 bucks on the Gander Mountain used gin rack. I would swears it was never fired. It shoots 1/4 Moa at 100 yards. I decided not to buy a Savage or Winchester after that. I think I got lucky. Unfortunately because of illnesses I never shot it over 200 yards.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Ed Shell

2. Consult first before dropping big $ on long range specific rig .

3. Not to step on anyone's toes, but normal distance marksmanship skills are prerequisite. If you haven't yet regularly achieving sub MOA at 100yd, work on trigger control, position, sling and/ or bipod use there , before adding major additional variables.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I know he's an IP here. What's the easiest way to get his recommendation? Pm, calling, or wait for a response to this thread. I don't want to drop big money right from the start. I'd like to find something that will allow me to get into longer distances, but that I can upgrade as I go to make it better.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    How accurate is accurate, how inexpensive is inexpensive ?

We're not delibertly messing with you, it has a bearing.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I'd like to start with a rifle (no glass) for a thousand or less. Then upgrade from there. I guess accuracy is really going to depend on me so I don't really know how to answer that one. Like I said I'd eventually like to be able to ring some steel plates out close to, or further than 1000.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    Another option for you would be to use a .22 rifle on the 300 yard range you have access to. There would be a lot of wind drift and drop to compensate for with a .22 at that range. You could work on the fundamentals of long range shooting without having to drop a ton of cash by going this route to start with

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    I'd like to start with a rifle (no glass) for a thousand or less. Then upgrade from there. I guess accuracy is really going to depend on me so I don't really know how to answer that one. Like I said I'd eventually like to be able to ring some steel plates out close to, or further than 1000.

A Savage Model 10 or a Remington 700 fits the bill. For a little more, consider the Ruger Precision Rifle.

The 3 Savages I've owned have all been sub-MOA rifles out of the box. Personally, I would recommend them to anyone. I've seen good and bad 700s... I guess with anything you could get a lemon, but they seem to be more prevalent with the Remmy's. (YMMV)

As far a caliber, depends on what you want to do. .308 will get you there and components/ammo are fairly easy to get if you reload or not. Not as easy with .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. And don't let anyone fool you about .260 v 6.5C. They are almost identical in performance. In the past, the differentiator was if you reload (.260) or not (6.5). I think it's getting harder and harder to find good 6.5 ammo on the shelves due to everyone jumping on that wagon. So, maybe it's just a coin flip anymore? I would even recommend you take a good look at the .243 or 6.5x47L. They shoot smaller bullets, but they're easily 1000yd cartridges. Just harder to spot.

For a beginner rig, I would get a Savage Model 10 in .308. That'll put you back about $700-$800. If you don't like it, because they all use the same bolt head, get a replacement barrel and change it to .243, .260, 6.5x47L or 6.5 all by yourself. (Of course, you'll need the equipment and know-how, but you won't need to send it to a gunsmith)

But, as mentioned, wait for Ed Shell to chime in.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    A Savage Model 10 or a Remington 700 fits the bill. For a little more, consider the Ruger Precision Rifle.

The 3 Savages I've owned have all been sub-MOA rifles out of the box. Personally, I would recommend them to anyone. I've seen good and bad 700s... I guess with anything you could get a lemon, but they seem to be more prevalent with the Remmy's. (YMMV)

For a beginner rig, I would get a Savage Model 10 in .308. That'll put you back about $700-$800. If you don't like it, because they all use the same bolt head, get a replacement barrel and change it to .243, .260, 6.5x47L or 6.5 all by yourself. (Of course, you'll need the equipment and know-how, but you won't need to send it to a gunsmith)

Savage Model 10 is great advice. My 308 out of the box is shooting half moa. As for the 300 win mag kick, I have a lightweight savage that I use for hunting and have put a clamp on muzzle break from witt machine on it. The win mag kicks less than my 308 now.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I think your best option is to grab any rifle that shoots 1" groups or better with ammo that is readily available, Put a scope that tracks reliably on it and invest in training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom