• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Maybe I'm wrong but the reason I decided to go with 308 over the creedmor is because I want the experience of learning to read environmental factors. The savage has a barrel that I can replace myself so if i decide to switch calibers I can do it myself. That ruger looks pretty nice but I think there is not as much aftermarket support. Again I'm new to this realm but those are my thoughts.

Me too. I think you are right. And I haven't decided to do much long range shooting, you sound more determined. Not many places to shoot over 300 in Maryland.

Since I don't reload, looks like good cartridges for either will be $1-1.50 per shot; so tie there.

Currently slightly more good cartridge options for 308.

308 barrel will probably last 2-4x longer than a 6.5 barrel. So advantage 308.

Out to 200, stay with 5.56 (223). Out to 600, 308 is best option. Beyond 600-1200 6.5 seems to have significant advantage.

Recoil is very relative, both are mild/moderate, so all things being equal, slight advantage to 6.5.

Any other differences, considerations? Is this info accurate, precise, both or neither? :)

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    From everything I've researched it seems you're spot on. The other thing with recoil is that with the model I'm choosing it'll have a threaded barrel. So I'll throw a brake on it to reduce it even more. I figure I'll start with 300 and then after I get good enough I can just deal with the drives to longer ranges. The thing for me is I get bored of its not enough of a challenge. Shooting is fun, but for me it's the challenge that makes me want to shoot more.

ApexPredator

"Liberty or Death"
    Dec 29, 2016
    Nottingham
    From some reading I was recently doing, a great budget build gun that can hit steel at a 1,000 is the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmore. The gun comes with an adjustable trigger and threaded barrel. I saw one article where a guy put a $300 Nikon scope on it and bought the gun for $400 and was hitting steel at a 1,000. Not sure if your looking for a budget build but this seems like a good starting point.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    From everything I've researched it seems you're spot on. The other thing with recoil is that with the model I'm choosing it'll have a threaded barrel. So I'll throw a brake on it to reduce it even more. I figure I'll start with 300 and then after I get good enough I can just deal with the drives to longer ranges. The thing for me is I get bored of its not enough of a challenge. Shooting is fun, but for me it's the challenge that makes me want to shoot more.

If you shoot competition then check the rules before you put a brake on a rifle, many types of competition do not allow brakes.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks. I see Kevin Thomas cleared that up. Now the wait begins for Lapua's 6.5 Creedmoor brass.
    I may consider the 6.5 Creedmoor when I rebarrel my 6XC, just for the extra barrel life. Then again, my 6XC flat out hammers!

I have a RPR in 6.5Cm that I'm likely going to rebarrel in the same cartridge if lapua makes brass.

I have a savage FTR in 308, that no one seems to want lol. I will likely rebarrel it in something for my 1k yard fclass gun, depending on how the rebarreled RPR shoots.

Brass makes all the difference for me, lapua from this point forward.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Since I don't reload, looks like good cartridges for either will be $1-1.50 per shot; so tie there.

Reloading is going to be the natural progression to getting the best out of your rifle. Plus the fact that your going to want to break in your rifle and practice a lot to get proficient with it. Depending on how much you value your time it could be the best way to not only lower the cost of your shooting but you will be ending up getting better then match grade ammo for less then half the price per round.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Reloading is going to be the natural progression to getting the best out of your rifle. Plus the fact that your going to want to break in your rifle and practice a lot to get proficient with it. Depending on how much you value your time it could be the best way to not only lower the cost of your shooting but you will be ending up getting better then match grade ammo for less then half the price per round.

Reloading makes sense for chasing accuracy, but I'm not gonna lie it's a pain in the azz.

Brass prep is the worst but makes the most difference. I'm at the point now where I'm pointing bullets for my 6mmBR. Tons of time

Whiskey

Sep 28, 2012
    Crownsville, MD
    Me too. I think you are right. And I haven't decided to do much long range shooting, you sound more determined. Not many places to shoot over 300 in Maryland.

Currently slightly more good cartridge options for 308.

308 barrel will probably last 2-4x longer than a 6.5 barrel. So advantage 308.

Out to 200, stay with 5.56 (223). Out to 600, 308 is best option. Beyond 600-1200 6.5 seems to have significant advantage.

Recoil is very relative, both are mild/moderate, so all things being equal, slight advantage to 6.5.

Any other differences, considerations? Is this info accurate, precise, both or neither? :)

Wise. But optics are just as, or more important.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Brad makes a great point about the availability of aftermarket parts for Savage and Rem rifles. While I admit it sounds snobbish on my part, I must ask why one would buy a rifle that will see the receiver itself significantly machined and all other components attached, including the bolt, replaced. Just start with a better rifle, if you want to shoot a factory gun, or with a "custom" receiver that will already have the desired machining/features you desire. It will save you time and hold significantly greater value should you decide to sell later.

For me, it was quite simply a scenario where I had bigger aspirations than my bank account would allow. I bought my host gun used, and gradually built it into what is today.

It was a lot easier on me to spend a couple hundred here and there, as my (improving) skills highlighted another aspect of the rifle that could be improved upon. I had to take small bites at a time.

I'd love to be able to drop $1500+ on a sweet action, but realistically, I'm not at the point in my life where I can afford to do so. In all honesty, my current rifle will never be sold - I'd never recoup the loss of all that went into it. :)

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    So here is my first & only question, where can you practice shooting 500 to 1000 yards in Merry-Land when ever you want to..?????

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Delmarva for 500 yards, New Holland PA for the 600 yard F-class, and there may be some other clubs that have open competitions that extend past 600 - I just haven't had much time to look into them though.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Not whenever I want to. I have to get confident at 300, which is what my range has, before I move to further. From what I've read there is peacekeeper (or something like that) in west Virginia, a couple places in Pennsylvania, a place in Delaware, delmarva sporting clays. And quantico. Nothing is close, but at that point it'll be worth spending a day. Also I think I'd qualify to shoot at Ft meade, which I believe is 600 meters, and that is close to me.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Delmarva is borderline MD/DE, Mardela Springs - I'll be there in the morning actually.

Aside from making friends with people that have decent acreage, there isn't a lot of options that don't mean a good drive to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom