• mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    BHP
    CZ-75B
    SIG P2022
    S&W M&P Pro

Honorable mention, Luger. Don't own one, never shot one, just have to put it on the list.

The first four guns I would feel comfortable having with me for any serious event. Next to a 1911 in .45ACP, those would be my go to guns.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    In no particular order....

1. Browning High Power with C&S mods
    2. S&W ASP
    3. Sig P210
    4. Rohrbaugh R9
    5. HK P7 PSP

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm pretty familiar with almost every pistol mentioned here, haven't fired a few of them-
    p99 - I'm very interested to shoot
    Steyr - really want to fire the s9 model, my neighbor bought a m9 model after I gave him some training, I never got to fire it, then he moved.
    Rohrbaugh R9 - super expensive, and tiny, and I read there is a technical problem with it (spring maybe?), I forget, almost bought one until I read about the issue.
    What is a BHP? I learn something almost every day on this forum.
    HK's - never liked how they feel (kinda big for my hands, and kinda expensive for my wallet)
    Glock - very good, a little on the thick side for everyday carry, also boring.
    Browning - feel great, shoot great, but, most are single action and are hEaVy for CCW.
    Beretta - the new ones look interesting, much lighter/smaller , no external safety for me.
    Taurus - did anyone even mention them? No thanks on the external safety's.
    XD9- The feel ok shooting, but the slide just sits kinda high for my taste, also a buddy broke the trigger spring at the range with one we were shooting, what the?
    S&W M&P- very interested to shoot, like the looks
    Kel-Tec- if they are reliable enough, love the weight and size
    Ruger- please make a 9mm version of your LCP to compete with Kel-Tec
    Sig- All Great. Maybe a tad big for ccw. $
    Kahr - winner! I bought my first Kahr when nobody knew who they were. Today in my opinion they are the best balance of performance, size, form and function.

I usually charge for this kind of advice, so if you read this and didn't know it, welcome you to buy me a beer otherwise if you agree with all of it, we can just toast.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Glock 17/19
    Sig 226
    H&K USPc
    Berreta M9(military one, i don't know jack about the civilian version)

Sorry, that's all i got.

What are the differences between an M9 and the 92F other than the retention lanyard ring? Do M9's ever get decommissioned and end up for civillian sale?

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What are the differences between an M9 and the 92F other than the retention lanyard ring? Do M9's ever get decommissioned and end up for civillian sale?

Unless you are a General, you most likely will not see a military handgun transferred for civilian ownership.

I believe Beretta made some civilian M9 clones a while back.

I think the 92SF is the true civilian equivalent of the M9. Minor differences, minor I say in the grand scheme of life, but to a M9 fan, I bet they can give you a breakdown by serial # of every modification.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Unless you are a General, you most likely will not see a military handgun transferred for civilian ownership.

I believe Beretta made some civilian M9 clones a while back.

I think the 92SF is the true civilian equivalent of the M9. Minor differences, minor I say in the grand scheme of life, but to a M9 fan, I bet they can give you a breakdown by serial # of every modification.

My friend's dad was a member of the U.S. Army Pistol Team and has an older Ruger Mark II pistol that was transferred to him from the armory, he's got paperwork with it. Then again, it wasn't a standard issue weapon, and specifically bought for competitive shooting.

There are no differences other than markings on the weapon between the civilian and military versions. Just like how the "M11" is the SIG P228. My 92FS has the lanyard ring and 3-dot sights, slanted dust cover and came with the plastic guide rod (replaced with a steel one).

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The differences are so small, it's difficult to recognize, like bending nails.

As several are saying, the M9 is the 92F (or 92FS, not exactly sure). And the only difference between the M11 (Sig228), and a normal 228, it that all the military ones were bought with tritium sights, for most 228's this is an upgrade. I may be wrong, carried both these weapons for years, and own/ed civilian versions.

Last edited:

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I think you asked for what are the top 5 that we own so here are mine.

Sig P226 X-5 Competition
    Sig P226 West German
    S&W M&P 9 Pro
    Sig P226 Stainless
    Sig P229 SCT 9mm

I may thin out the 9mm but have no clue which one I wou ld sell

snoopaloop

Mar 5, 2009
    Middle River
    Will only comment on 9s I've owned or shot.

1. M&P 9 Pro- IMO it has all the strengths of a Glock, but with more comfortable ergonomics and nicer sights out of the box. Does cost more though.
    2. Glock 17- Strengths have already been listed
    3. HK P2000- Just about as comfortable to shoot as the M&P, and would still consider getting one as a carry piece.
    4. SIG P226- Like the feel of it and was plenty accurate, but I'm not into the DA/SA trigger.
    5. Beretta 92FS- See #4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom