• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I would say,

5. Walther P38, The first sucessful DA/SA pistol it ended the percieved need and training associated with keeping an empty chamber, and rendering the pistol safe with the use of a decocking mechanism. The pistol continued the P-08 luger's introduction of widespread issuance of sidearms, but modernized the way pistols were carried.

4 Browning Hi-power, John Brownings last masterpeice, the hi-power introduced a high capacity autoloader to militaries and police departments world wide, in most ways it was an evolution of earlier designs, but the culmination was something entirely new. It proved the advantages of capacity, and began to erode "traditional" and antiquated marksmanship training, and ushered in dynamic pistol training.

3. Beretta M9, While a good pistol, and it's place as the official US sidearm is a rare spot, it is not neccesarily the pistol itself, but the circumstances around it's adoption, it's influence on police tactics, and it's evolution from earlier autos that are notable. The JSSAP and military trials modernized pistol testing and development, and was carried over to law enforcement trials and manufacturer's R&D. The design was heavily influenced by the Walther P38's DA/SA action, and locking mechanism, and the Browning hi-power's double stack magazine. It also changed the doctrine of international standardization amongst NATO countries in reguard to sidearms. The beretta 92 also provided a pistol that offered advantages over police revolvers to a degree that departments overwhelmingly sought to adopt "wonder nines", and adopted training and tactics that best utilized a high capacity pistol.

2. P08 Luger, it changed the battlefield, and changed sidearm doctrine permanently. It became the first viable automatic sidearm as it replaced the huge C96 broomhandle mauser. It introduced the sidearm as a backup to a primary long gun instead of a replacement issuead weapon, and proved the concept. It is also the namesake of the 9X19 luger, and introduced the cartridge.

1. GLOCK 17, when it came out it had no equal, it was the first viable and commercially successful polymer pistol, and has influenced almost every new pistol that has come out in the last 20 years. It represented a leap forward in technology that not only changed duty pistols forever, but changed the tactics and training. The design has proven to be very adaptable and has spawned dozens of variants in various calibers, compact, midsize, long slide setups, and the simple mode of operation simplifies training.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I'd keep my current two
    P-38
    Kahr MK9 for CCW

and add a couple classics
    Browing Hi-Power
    P-08 Luger (If I could afford it)
    Sig 226 - because I've heard one or two good things about them!

In the real world I'll probably add one full sized 9, either the Browning or a CZ-75

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I can only speak for my very limited personal experience, so here goes...

Glock 17. My go-to defense pistol, in around 4k rounds has only malfunctioned once, due to bum magazine.

Walther P99. I only shot one a couple of times, it belongs to a friend of mine. But I love it's ergonomics and it's far more accurate than I am, same as my G17.

I could speak of historical significance and whatnot for other pistols, but truth be told, these are the only 9mm handguns I've actually shot. I'm too inexperienced to elaborate further, but I do indeed recommend these two models.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    No particular order

G17
    BHP
    226 (German Made)
    S&W M 39-2 (The Original American Wonder Nine)
    CZ-75

Honorable Mention

Ruger P89
    92SF

And Two Revolvers

Ruger BH Convertible 357/9mm - Great for practice and plinking

SP101 in 9mm - Nice alternative to the 357 or 38 models.

Maybe Ruger will consider a LCR in 9mm

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I have only fired a few that I liked and Huck beat me to it.

1) G17/G19
    2) Ruger Blackhawk Convertible
    3) BHP

I wouldn't take a Beretta 92 if you gave it to me free.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    In order...
    Surprised no one else listed the Ruger which is built like a tank, it was my first defensive caliber handgun which I still treasure dearly.

I listed the P94 and like you it is my first center fire/defensive caliber handgun its just all metal and they stopped making them in 2004 in 9mm :sad20:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Hi-Power -- A classic. Great trigger, great accuracy, slim and sexy like a 40's pinup girl. Fits my hand like a glove. Everyone that has shot mine loves the way it feels, it's ideal for both beginners and pros. Nothing beats a good SA trigger.

CZ-75B -- A Hi-Power improved. Granted the DA/SA trigger isn't as nice as the dedicated SA Hi-Power, but it makes a better working gun. Outside the US it is a common LEO/military sidearm and has earned its combat stripes. A .22 conversion kit has it pulling double duty as a fun plinker.

IMI Baby Eagle/Jericho -- A CZ variant and a direct descendant of a Hi-Power (see a pattern here)? It has a better trigger than the CZ-75B, but is much heavier due to the slide (which soaks up recoil very well in .40). Fit on this thing is incredible, the Israelis know their stuff when it comes to firearms. I love the lines on it, and the way it shoots.

Beretta 92 FS -- It has its weak points like the skeleton slide, but there's something about it that works. It's dependable, and for a larger pistol still fits my hand and shoots where I point it. It has been in service long enough that it deserves a spot on the "best of" list.

Sig 226 -- Bulky and blocky, it's not the prettiest of the bunch. But this gun is a joy to shoot. One of the better combat triggers I've ever felt with very little travel and a clean break. I don't like the decocker, but it works, and it runs like a top. Very good machining and finish work and a super-tough coating.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    #1 Glock 34
    Practical- tactical, competition ready, out of the box, " just like me"

#2 Glock 19
    Everything about it is superlative. with tritium sights, it is the perfect pistol.

#3 HK USP 9SD
    Reliability and accuracy. It is also very reliable as a suppressor host for those discrete moments.

#4 Beretta 92
    It looks sexy, reliable and accurate. I have never experienced a failure with my Beretta, I like it because of its sentimental value. This is the only pistol that I have really packed in an actual warzone.

#5 Glock 26
    My favorite CCW gun. Small enough to conceal with light clothing. It packs enough power as not to feel outgunned.

My list would be exactly the same except Substitute #3 with the Sig X5

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Sig P 226
    Glock 17
    S and W M &P
    Beretta 92 (I like them fine, some don't)
    I don't have enough range time with a 5th , but I am guessing a springfield XD should go here

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Most Accurate (In Order):

I will always have a fond place in my heart for these too:

Luger
    P38/P1

I just shot both of these yesterday...

1936 Luger, very nice condition, a blast to shoot! Very accurate, surprised me actually, facinated by the action.

End of the war (not sure of year) P38, heavy machine markings, fun to shoot a piece of history, but nothing special.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    only owned 2 9mm in my life..

currently the xdm.. love it
    and a taurus (long gone.. sold it.. was my first 9mm and needed to money then).
    but would like to buy a berretta 92 or m9

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I only have experience with three, but I love them all:

Beretta 92 FS - best fit for my hand
    Kahr CW9 - best for CCW (in the 31 states I'm allowed to carry)
    IMI Uzi - most fun to shoot

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom