• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    "In modern ground warfare, when an attacking force intends to overpower an entrenched adversary, the attacking force must be vastly superior in number, and must be willing to pay a very high price of heavy losses of its own soldiers. I am not at all convinced that the soldiers assigned to guard Warsaw will be eager to pay such a price."
    "The Storm Troopers had no trouble before, when they broke our windows and smashed our doors to send us here like sheep for slaughter," a voice said from the back of the room. An older man standing next to Irwin spoke up in reply.
    "The Nazis were not stupid. In fact, they were very logical. They knew that in order to accomplish what they intended, we had to pose no threat. We had to be stripped of the ability to defend ourselves. Do you not remember the law passed five years ago prohibiting us from having guns without government permission?"
    The history teacher nodded. "The Americans wrote that very issue into their list of fundamental citizens' rights, a part of their Constitution, so that such tragedy could never again occur in their country." He paused, a sudden realization coming to him. "Does it not seem odd to you that the Nazi leader has avoided any effort to send his troops to invade tiny, rich Switzerland? That instead he should concentrate on a larger country far more distant, and requiring a crossing of the English Channel?
    [...]
    "The English expect the Americans to rescue them," said a new voice. The history teacher replied to this.
    "Is that not ironic, given that it was the English who attempted to disarm the Colonists a century and a half ago?" Puzzled looks greeted his question. The teacher looked startled. "Have you never heard of one of their favorite stories? Of Paul Revere?" A few heads nodded. "Paul Revere is an American hero because he warned the Colonists that the British were on their way to seize their weapons, and the Colonists said no."
    "If the Colonists had said yes, and stacked their arms for confiscation as we did five years ago, the Colonists would have been executed, and every country ruled by a king in 1775 would probably still be ruled by a king today."
    -

Unintended Consequences by John Ross, p62​

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I had 5 polymer 80's done today from one of the FFLs on the MSP list. They were engraved with their FFL number -my zip, my intals and the three numbers.

I specifically asked them do I have to register them with MSP. I was told yes although I thought I didn't and it was voluntary. I am sure if he was incorrect it was an honest mistake because the whole things about as clear as mud anyway.

The thing that I really question is the FFL didn't log them in their books as receiving them, which I thought was required. I specifically asked and was told no that they only log them if they were taking possession and by doing the engraving while I waited meant they never took possession.

So since it wasn't put in their books do I need to do the 77R with the MSP?

Am I compliant with the serial number if it wasn't logged into the FFL?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    How many of these engravers will still do S/N on a PMF after March 1?

I may have a hankering for a single shot shotgun after walking through Lowes plumbing section.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    How many of these engravers will still do S/N on a PMF after March 1?

I may have a hankering for a single shot shotgun after walking through Lowes plumbing section.

Why wouldn’t they?

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Why wouldn’t they?
    The law does not seem to address it (as I understand it). It's contraband until serialized. Will they handle illegal equipment... also the demand should be reduced.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The law does not seem to address it (as I understand it). It's contraband until serialized. Will they handle illegal equipment... also the demand should be reduced.

Yeah the demand is going to fall off a cliff. I guess it depends on what you bring them and at what stage of the building process. Definitely charting new waters.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    80% Serializing & NFA/SBR Engraving
    at Upcoming Gun Shows in MD

Hi Folks, I'm an FFL Manufacturer and I'll be laser engraving ATF/MD Compliant Serial numbers and NFA engravings at gun shows in MD and by appointment at my workshop in Finksburg.

Feel free to contact me with questions or to schedule an appointment.

Upcoming Gun Shows:
    o Jan 28-29 Frederick, MD
    o Feb 4-5 West Friendship, MD
    o Mar 4-5 York, PA
    o Mar 25-26 Crownsville, MD
    o Apr 1-2 Frederick, MD
    o Apr 15-16 Timonium, MD

.Flyer Photo.JPG

Also...
    MSI has a really informative page on PMFs (80%s). Regarding PMFs serialized the ATF way, they say, "A frame or a receiver marked in this manner by a manufacturer or importer need not be registered with the Maryland State Police."

https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/privately-made-firearms-in-maryland

I also confirmed this with Maryland State Police. So they encourage people with guns serialized the ATF way to register them, but they are not required. The only ones that were required were the ones engraved the Maryland way prior to the ATF ruling taking effect Aug 24, 2022.

It is also my understanding after speaking with ATF that I must record all of my serializations in my A&D (FFL Book). This way if a gun I serialized is ever found in a crime, they can trace it back to my FFL and get the information of the person that gun was serialized for (i.e. name, address, contact info).

Lastly, it is important for folks to know that the penalty in the state of Maryland for having finished or unfinished frames/receivers without a serial number by March 1, 2023 is a $10,000 fine and 2 years in prison per gun.

Attachments

• 1674579122292.png
      1674579122292.png
      3.2 KB · Views: 116
    Last edited:

Softtoast491

Jan 24, 2023
    North of Baltimore
    New here. Just wanted to say what a good job Alejandro did serializing my pistol frames. They look great and were done quick. Not to mention he is super chill. I will tell my friends about his services and will use him again. If you need engraving services he is your man.

Tech5

MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2017
    Baltimore County, MD
    I thought these could still be built but need to be serialized within 30 days, even after March 1?
    Has the serial# deadline always been March 1 for Maryland . I would have sworn that I read somewhere that said the deadline was March 31. Did the date change or I just read it incorrectly. Or is March 31 possibly the ATF deadline.
    Thanks

Tech5

MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2017
    Baltimore County, MD
    There is a list of FFL laser engravers on the MSP website. I have been calling around using the list trying to find where I can get the serializing done and keep getting told that they don't do it anymore. Must have been too overwhelming for them. One guy said they pulled out of it and they are gonna let the state handle it. So with that, I wonder if they will be extending the deadline. Most places that are still doing the engraving are very far from my home. Alejandro won't be in my area until it's too late. Anyone know of a place in or near Baltimore County that's still doing it?

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Blue Customworks is the bomb! I hate having to have this done, but if you are going to do it, Alejandro knows his stuff. Great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom