• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    In case anybody else needs it, I put all the places listed as performing marking services on MSPD website on the map:

FWIW, "The Gun Shop", 1614 Eastern Boulevard, listed in your link, and on MSP website, does NOT do any engraving.

Told to me directly (in person) from store owner, "Bob", 12/17/2022.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I just had Alejandro at Blue Custom Works do some engraving for me today! I had 5 pieces done while I waited.

The experience was great! He’s got coffee and cookies too! I saw another MDS member while there who was the next appointment after mine.

Afterward I stopped by Md Elite Firearms, which is nearby on Rte 140, and did some window shopping. I saw another MDS member there and chatted with him and the staff there.

H-Bar

4th MD Regiment Militia
    Jun 29, 2017
    I had Alejandro at Blue Custom Works do the engraving on several of my lowers this past Saturday. Very professional each lower only took a few minutes. He is very informative on the procedure needed and provides to you with documentation when it is done.

Blue Custom Works also will engrave art that he has or if you have something you would like Alejandro offers this service as well. I didn't need anything on mine at the time so I cannot comment how long that would take or the cost.

I seen another MDS member there (brianns) while I was waiting and it was nice to talk with another person having this same process performed.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    I had Alejandro at Blue Custom Works do the engraving on several of my lowers this past Saturday. Very professional each lower only took a few minutes. He is very informative on the procedure needed and provides to you with documentation when it is done.

Blue Custom Works also will engrave art that he has or if you have something you would like Alejandro offers this service as well. I didn't need anything on mine at the time so I cannot comment how long that would take or the cost.

I seen another MDS member there (brianns) while I was waiting and it was nice to talk with another person having this same process performed.
    Hi H-Bar,

Thank you for your kind words and for your business. If you ever need anything in the future, I'll be happy to help.

nevadabill

Oct 18, 2013

When you find an FFL (or if you are the FFL) that does serial number engraving on home made/80% firearms in order for them to be in compliance with MD's new law, please post in here with the business name and location so's people can find them quickly.

The other thread has so many posts/pages that info easily gets lost there. Hoping to keep this one concise.
    I found a place today and here is the contact information:
    Blue Customworks in Finksburg at 301-742-4428.
    They are also on FaceBook.
    Just hope I am / was allowed to post that here.

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    So, hypothetically, if a person who has a PMF has a serial number engraved by Engage -which is both a federally licensed manufacturer and a dealer- that included Engage’s full FFL number, then the PMF owner’s zip, initials, and additional chosen numbers, does the PMF owner have to register that PMF with the Maryland State Police?

I read the “first alternative” listed on the MSI page as saying that having a manufacturer add the serial number that meets ATF regs doesn’t require registration, which I assume is true even if Engage is taking a belt-and-suspenders approach of also including zip and initials (which had been part of the second alternative, I believe.)

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    IANAL, but from what I understand, MD only accepts the federal standard now(since the federal ruling that came shortly after Md's law) and a firearm/PMF is not required to be registered in Md's firearms registration system.

Alejandro, from Blue Custom Works, explined this to me after he did some engravings for me. So it sounds like if it was prior to August 2022 we had to do the Md specification and register them, but after that the federal rule was made law and then Md has now required that standard. And with the federal law being the standard I think that must overrule Md's registration requirement.

I'm not sure if people that got the MD spec serial numbers done if it has to be re-done. That's a space none of my stuff is in.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    IANAL, but from what I understand, MD only accepts the federal standard now(since the federal ruling that came shortly after Md's law) and a firearm/PMF is not required to be registered in Md's firearms registration system.

Alejandro, from Blue Custom Works, explined this to me after he did some engravings for me. So it sounds like if it was prior to August 2022 we had to do the Md specification and register them, but after that the federal rule was made law and then Md has now required that standard. And with the federal law being the standard I think that must overrule Md's registration requirement.

I'm not sure if people that got the MD spec serial numbers done if it has to be re-done. That's a space none of my stuff is in.
    Recently registered via 77R, 2 AR pistols and 2 AR rifles serialized using the Maryland format without any issues.
    Got my other builds including 4 Glock clones serialized using the ATF format. The clones will be my carry pieces, and should be perfectly legal in this anti freedom state.
    It is all certainly unconstitutional, but I have decided it is best to comply with what I can.

Aug 16, 2022
    Finksburg, MD
    Hello everyone,

At the bottom of the MSP's page on PMFs, they state, "New Federal Regulations take effect on August 24, 2022. On or after August 24, 2022, unmarked firearms presented to an FFL for marking services will be required to be marked in accordance with the new federal regulations."
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ngDivision/Firearms/Untraceable-Firearms.aspx

And the new federal regulations (ATF way) don't mention Maryland's method. The simply state the first 8 digits identify the FFL manufacturer doing the engraving followed by a - and a unique number to that gun that that FFL has never used before on a prior gun. "a PMF that the licensee acquired, but not duplicate any serial number(s) placed on any other firearm. The marking would begin with the FFL’s abbreviated license number (first three and last five digits) as a prefix, followed by a hyphen, and then followed by a number as a suffix (e.g.,
    ‘‘12345678-[number]’’).
    https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...ver-and-identification-of-firearms#page-24653

I also had spoken with MSP a few months ago about people who got their guns engraved the Maryland way. What they told me was, if they had registered them with MSP by Aug 24, 2022, they're in compliance with Maryland law. Any engraving done after Aug 24, must be the ATF way.

And ATF's requirement is less strict than MD's in that their only requirement is that an FFL cannot take a gun into inventory (hold it over night) without engraving an ATF compliant serial number on it.

So in short, if you got your gun engraved the MD way and registered it prior to 8/24/22, you're good. If you got it engraved the ATF way before or after 8/24/22, you're good and you're not required to register with MSP.

" A frame or a receiver marked in this manner by a manufacturer or importer need not be registered with the Maryland State Police."
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/privately-made-firearms-in-maryland

I hope this helped answer most questions in the recent chats. If you have additional questions or need to get your guns serialized, feel free to reach out to me and I'll be happy to help. I'm serializing guns to ATF standards at my workshop in Finksburg, MD and at the following gun shows:
    > Jan 21-22 Timonium
    > Jan 28-29 Frederick
    > Feb 4-5 West Friendship

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Shout-out to Blue Customworks. I had some of my frames serialized this week and the quality of Alejandro's work is exceptional. The frames were done while I waited and only took a few minutes each. I'm very happy with the results.

c9ef7bdc66bdaeb71ca6d03b9d30b5464c005090.gif

EunosFD

May 27, 2009
    MD
    For members in the western MD region wanting to get this done there's DC Laser in the Hagerstown area. I think they may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I didn't feel like digging through pages. I had a frame serialized today by Doug and it turned out excellent. Great service and reasonable price too.

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    I've been hoping something at the federal level would knock this over, but hasn't happened yet and we're getting down to the wire. For those who made inexpensive polymer frames or used additive manufacturing methods to create a frame I would think

a) Adding the metal plate in compliance w/ the serialization requirements to the existing plastic component is a bit challenging
    b) The cost of getting the serialization done is unreasonable compared to the cost of building the frame in the first place.

I kinda think if you fall in this category, it's likely better to just destroy what you have and purchase completed frames to stay legal.
    If you want to get rid of an unserialized frame and have a record of that, can you take it to MSP or something and get a receipt?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    For members in the western MD region wanting to get this done there's DC Laser in the Hagerstown area. I think they may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I didn't feel like digging through pages. I had a frame serialized today by Doug and it turned out excellent. Great service and reasonable price too.

It's interesting that their web site says to register the firearm after being marked the ATF way.

That's wrong, isn't it? I thought if marked the ATF way registration was not required.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not calling you out here, as I'm certain you've done your due diligence as someone providing this service, but are we 100% certain this is correct?
    Maryland State Statute says as much, so yes, he is 100% correct.

Not to mention that he is an FFL and has to do the engraving per both Federal and State Law or lose his FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom