• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Alright, I might be opening a can of worms here, but what do you guys load for self defense? I just picked up a 9mm that I plan to carry when I head back home to Alabama in a few months, and when it comes to 9mm as a carry round ammo selection is supremely important.

I've read various things about 147gr ammo. What do you think about heavy for caliber?

Here's what I'm considering:

124gr Federal HST

124gr Speer Gold Dot

115gr Corbon DPX

147gr Winchester PDX1

I like what I've read about the hornady critical duty, but I'm sketchy on hornady for self-defense ammo.

thoughts?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Alright, I might be opening a can of worms here, but what do you guys load for self defense? I just picked up a 9mm that I plan to carry when I head back home to Alabama in a few months, and when it comes to 9mm as a carry round ammo selection is supremely important.

I've read various things about 147gr ammo. What do you think about heavy for caliber?

124gr Federal HST

124gr Speer Gold Dot

115gr Corbon DPX

147gr Winchester PDX1

I like what I've read about the hornady critical duty, but I'm sketchy on hornady for self-defense ammo.

thoughts?

Why are you sketchy on Hornady? I have loaded and fired over 1000 XTP bullets (both Hornady factory loads and my own loads) and they've fed flawlessly in my 92FS (now sold), CZ-75B and Glock 19. I've never had an issue with their bullets, is there something wrong with them?

I always thought Hornady was one of the better quality ammunition manufacturers.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    Why are you sketchy on Hornady? I have loaded and fired over 1000 XTP bullets (both Hornady factory loads and my own loads) and they've fed flawlessly in my 92FS (now sold), CZ-75B and Glock 19. I've never had an issue with their bullets, is there something wrong with them?

I always thought Hornady was one of the better quality ammunition manufacturers.

just that the critical defense was overmarketed and fails to perform. The critical duty is supposed to be better. From my understanding the XTP are great rounds, but are not the latest technology. Supposedly their technology is on par with hydrashoks, silver tips, etc. I don't think their latest bullets are bonded. I'm trying to look for bonded or solid copper.

honestly though, I'm no expert and my opinion is just that..an opinion.

TheGibster

Aug 17, 2010
    Dorchester County

I've seen a You-Tube posting in which the person claimed 2 duds out of a box of 20 with Hornady CD so he stated that he refuses to use them for SD. I'm hoping that was a fluke because I use them as my SD load.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010

I concur, I am also fond of hornady. Although no experience with critcal defense, my HK45 sits loaded full of 230gr +P TAP CQ. Run the same ammo in my 9mm but in 124gr. I have put 200rounds through my 45 without a hitch. I am in no way saying you should put it in your gun and it will function... But I would put it on your list, buy a box of each, note the ones your particular gun doesn't choke on than buy a few hundred of what works... And make sure it always works.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have Hornady 124gr +Ps in my PF9 and my CZ-75. I use Winchester PDX 160gr ammo in my .40 double-stack 1911. I use either Double-Tap 200gr LFPs or Winchester Black Talons in my 10mm.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

124gr+p & 147 gr Federal HST

124gr+p Speer Gold Dot

115gr Corbon DPX

147gr Winchester PDX1

thoughts?

135+p critical duty is literally their critical defense loading with a bigger slug of lead behind the hollow point cavity. By loading it heavier/hotter(increasing weight naturally will increase pressures by creating more resistance to acceleration...in handloading, heavier loads use less powder), the bullet will penetrate better by having a greater cross sectional density. They look good for both guaranteed penetration to 12-16" AND reliable expansion. Their issue is they expand less than some others like the pdx1 or hst, while not penetrating that much further.

I LOVE the 147 gr pdx1. It's got some great expansion, while retaining good penetration. It's also extremely soft shooting and being subsonic, not very loud. It's fed well through all my guns.

The 147 hst is a phenominal round, but hard to come by. The 147+p is probably just wasted flash and bang without much benefit. The hst has some of the best expansion while retaining the minimum 12" penetration.

shot placement > penetration > expansion. Without good shot placement, penetration and expansion don't matter. Without penetrating far enough to reach vitals, expansion doesn't matter. Expansion is a nice secondary thought that makes wounds through important things leak faster, but is overemphasized too much. Heavy for caliber depends on caliber. For 9mm, the 147 is a great choice because it can recoil less and have less rapport at standard pressures, but retains the performance of the loud and snappy 124+p. Heavier things also favor penetration over expansion...which is the correct order of importance in a permanent wound channel. The bullet design may be the drawback as many 147's are sensitive to velocity for expansion, but can have larger petals when expanded by being longer. For 40, the heavier 180 gr can often underperform the 165 gr in both momentum and energy. The reason is the length of the bullet taking up powder space in a crowded cartridge.

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Been looking into this myself. Not for carry, since I don't have a CCW yet. (Gansler!
    bruce.gif
    )

I got a box of 9mm Federal 124gr Hydra-Shok JPH to shoot through my M&P9C to see how it works.

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    135+p critical duty is literally their critical defense loading with a bigger slug of lead behind the hollow point cavity. By loading it heavier/hotter(increasing weight naturally will increase pressures by creating more resistance to acceleration...in handloading, heavier loads use less powder), the bullet will penetrate better by having a greater cross sectional density. They look good for both guaranteed penetration to 12-16" AND reliable expansion. Their issue is they expand less than some others like the pdx1 or hst, while not penetrating that much further.

I LOVE the 147 gr pdx1. It's got some great expansion, while retaining good penetration. It's also extremely soft shooting and being subsonic, not very loud. It's fed well through all my guns.

The 147 hst is a phenominal round, but hard to come by. The 147+p is probably just wasted flash and bang without much benefit. The hst has some of the best expansion while retaining the minimum 12" penetration.

shot placement > penetration > expansion. Without good shot placement, penetration and expansion don't matter. Without penetrating far enough to reach vitals, expansion doesn't matter. Expansion is a nice secondary thought that makes wounds through important things leak faster, but is overemphasized too much.

so smokey youre a fan of heavy for caliber 147? at first i heard it was great, then it sucked, then it was great. I can't call it one way or the other. That's why I've always gravitated towards 124 seemed like a good medium option.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    so smokey youre a fan of heavy for caliber 147? at first i heard it was great, then it sucked, then it was great. I can't call it one way or the other. That's why I've always gravitated towards 124 seemed like a good medium option.

rather than "it's great" or "it sucks" look at..
    124+p gold dot penetrated 13.25" and expanded avg diameter was .614"

147 gr gold dot penetrated to 14.25" and expanded avg diameter was .582"

Heavy is nice because it recoils less, is not as loud, and favors penetration, but lags behind the faster and lighter 124+p in expansion.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I have never had a problem with any hornady self-defense ammo.... I have shot close to a 1000 rounds with it. I had a few FTE on my 1911 at one point but that was my 1911's problem.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

shot placement > penetration > expansion. Without good shot placement, penetration and expansion don't matter. Without penetrating far enough to reach vitals, expansion doesn't matter. Expansion is a nice secondary thought that makes wounds through important things leak faster, but is overemphasized too much. Heavy for caliber depends on caliber. For 9mm, the 147 is a great choice because it can recoil less and have less rapport at standard pressures, but retains the performance of the loud and snappy 124+p. Heavier things also favor penetration over expansion...which is the correct order of importance in a permanent wound channel. The bullet design may be the drawback as many 147's are sensitive to velocity for expansion, but can have larger petals when expanded by being longer. For 40, the heavier 180 gr can often underperform the 165 gr in both momentum and energy. The reason is the length of the bullet taking up powder space in a crowded cartridge.

shot placement > penetration > expansion. Without good shot placement, penetration and expansion don't matter.

Sometimes it seems to me that the entire issue of SD loads are over-analyzed. For as often as most of us are faced with a SD situation, we sure spend a lot of time worrying about the bullet. Seems like we should spend more time training to shoot ANY bullet accurately in a stressful situation, because when all is said and done, placement trumps most everything else. That is why even a .22 cal pistol round accurately placed can be deadlier than a .45 cal round off the mark.........IMHO

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I only use CorBon DPX 115gr. It is my personal choice. Something like Speer Gold Dot or any high end hollow points will serve you well.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the ones you listed...except maybe the 115 dpx. I'd personally go for +p.

Sirex