• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    I preface this with the fact that we do release on the 8th business day in many cases, but not always.

If you were seeking a new nanny or babysitter for your kids, would leave that person alone with your kids just based on an interview, or would you wait for their background check to come back?

If you were renting out your house, would you let strangers move in based on a brief face to face meeting, or would you wait for the credit check to come back?

If you had amassed a tidy fortune and wanted a financial manager to handle it for you, would you put them right on the checking account, or would you wait until you knew more about their reliability, and their background had come back?

Lets say you are just hiring someone to handle the cash register at your small business. Would you let someone walk in off the street and start making change out of the drawer, or would you wait until you had checked their references?

Does FFLs waiting for background checks to come back before they hand out firearms start to sound a bit more reasonable now?

Not at all when it is currently taking upwards of 90 days for the MSP to return an application with a ND. Continue with your policy at your own peril. After all, it is your business and you should be free to operate it as you choose, consistent with the laws of the land. However, in this free society and in a free market economy, consumers are also free to choose. With numerous and increasing numbers of FFLs choosing to release early, they are enjoying a competitive advantage. They are gaining loyal customers and freeing up space to increase inventories of new firearms, resulting in greater sales. This community has a long memory. While I will not criticize your release policy, please understand that I for one will seek out FFLs who release in eight days (or thereabouts), consistent with federal and Maryland law for my future purchases and will remain with them as a loyal customer. As for my current FFL that is holding two firearms (first paperwork submitted 4/11) and not releasing without MSP ND, I am not complaining, harassing, or arguing, but I am done with them as an FFL. I will not purchase from them or transfer to them ever again. That is my right as a consumer. Does our position sound a bit more reasonable now?

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Not at all when it is currently taking upwards of 90 days for the MSP to return an application with a ND. Continue with your policy at your own peril. After all, it is your business and you should be free to operate it as you choose, consistent with the laws of the land. However, in this free society and in a free market economy, consumers are also free to choose. With numerous and increasing numbers of FFLs choosing to release early, they are enjoying a competitive advantage. They are gaining loyal customers and freeing up space to increase inventories of new firearms, resulting in greater sales. This community has a long memory. While I will not criticize your release policy, please understand that I for one will seek out FFLs who release in eight days (or thereabouts), consistent with federal and Maryland law for my future purchases and will remain with them as a loyal customer. As for my current FFL that is holding two firearms (first paperwork submitted 4/11) and not releasing without MSP ND, I am not complaining, harassing, or arguing, but I am done with them as an FFL. I will not purchase from them or transfer to them ever again. That is my right as a consumer. Does our position sound a bit more reasonable now?

Agree 100%

I can sort of understand a dealer wanting to take a cautious approach with new customers, but for old established customers with numerous ND's under their belt... Well, that's another matter entirely.

This isn't about loyalty or "liking" my current dealer as a person, I like him he's a nice guy and all, but this is business, his and mine. I don't have to spend my money with him, I can go elsewhere, and it has nothing to do with liking my current dealer or being "loyal" to him, the $10 grand or so I've spent in his store over the last 18 months or so should be all the loyalty he needs.

To put things in perspective, I plan to order 3 or possibly 4 Bushmaster stripped lowers in the near future, if I have them shipped to my current dealer who is not releasing (Gunrunners) they will sit in his shop for up to 3 months and possibly longer befeore I can take possession of them. OTOH, if I choose a dealer who is releasing, I could have them in my safe in a matter of a few weeks. From my perspective this is a no brainer, and again it has nothing to do with loyalty. To those of you who are willing to wait 3 months out of loyalty to your current dealer, God Bless you, you have my very best wishes and sympathy.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land

I agree as well. No one is knocking you for how you decide to proceed with this situation but bear in mind that unless you have something special to offer, I cant see anyone choosing to wait 90 days when they have the ability to wait 8 with other FFLs. Thats a huge difference.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Agree 100%

I can sort of understand a dealer wanting to take a cautious approach with new customers, but for old established customers with numerous ND's under their belt... Well, that's another matter entirely.

This isn't about loyalty or "liking" my current dealer as a person, I like him he's a nice guy and all, but this is business, his and mine. I don't have to spend my money with him, I can go elsewhere, and it has nothing to do with liking my current dealer or being "loyal" to him, the $10 grand or so I've spent in his store over the last 18 months or so should be all the loyalty he needs.

To put things in perspective, I plan to order 3 or possibly 4 Bushmaster stripped lowers in the near future, if I have them shipped to my current dealer who is not releasing (Gunrunners) they will sit in his shop for up to 3 months and possibly longer befeore I can take possession of them. OTOH, if I choose a dealer who is releasing, I could have them in my safe in a matter of a few weeks. From my perspective this is a no brainer, and again it has nothing to do with loyalty. To those of you who are willing to wait 3 months out of loyalty to your current dealer, God Bless you, you have my very best wishes and sympathy.

Could not have said it better myself. Thats the reality of the situation like it or not.

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    I wanted to apologize to A1Uniform for not reading his first sentence carefully prior to my earlier post:

I preface this with the fact that we do release on the 8th business day in many cases, but not always.

I appreciate dealers like him who are showing some discretion and common sense when it comes to releasing early. What really set me off was that the examples he cites, do not not apply to many of us. In my case, I have recently completed three separate transfers where NDs were returned with increasingly long wait times. I am also a designated collector and a regular shooter at their range. I am well know to this FFL and believe that with a little common sense applied by them, they could release early to me with confidence knowing that they are not releasing to a prohibited person.

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    And I am talking about my FFL, not the IP. I want to be careful to not denigrate an innocent party.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The good folks at the Bass Pro gun counter are no longer discussing release times with their Customers.

I called and POLITELY asked them if there had been any changes in policy.

I was told to call Corporate if I had any questions regarding release policies.

It would appear they are no longer taking a proactive approach to rectify this horrible situation.

The Head Store Manager is not even returning phone calls.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

I guess you didn't bother to read my post in its entirety.

I am releasing guns on the 8th business day more often than not, much to my peril, like I noted before on another thread, no matter what you do folks will still complain.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!

I am releasing guns on the 8th business day more often than not, much to my peril, like I noted before on another thread, no matter what you do folks will still complain.

Hey, as long as you're making an effort to release, then that should be perfectly acceptable to everyone. Although, one quick question, are you getting any resistance from your business insurance company, like some of the other dealers?

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013

Please see my apology above your post. I am truly sorry for initially directing my comments towards you. I appreciate what you are doing for our community.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The good folks at the Bass Pro gun counter are no longer discussing release times with their Customers.

I called and POLITELY asked them if there had been any changes in policy.

I was told to call Corporate if I had any questions regarding release policies.

It would appear they are no longer taking a proactive approach to rectify this horrible situation.

The Head Store Manager is not even returning phone calls.

Their policy is still to wait for the MSP disposition based on guidance from corporate lawyer people that interact with the feds. If this policy changes, there will be an announcement. As of now, it's not very productive to have long conversations twice or thrice a day, every day, with the same customers explaining that nothing has changed.

so, everyone that is tired of waiting for your regulated firearm....are you ready to become active in the 2014 elections??

Feb 28, 2013
    Most, if not all of the blame for some dealers not releasing after 8 business days as the law allows, i lay squarely at the feet of the slip-and-fall lawyer. You know, like the crook who sued McDonalds because some idiot poured hot coffee in her lap and WON?!

How about the one who sued Winnebago on behalf of the stupid ass who thought "cruise control" also meant "auto-pilot", and ALSO WON?!

They're the ones to blame for scaring dealers into not doing what the law allows them to do. Not the dealers themselves.

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD
    Most, if not all of the blame for some dealers not releasing after 8 business days as the law allows, i lay squarely at the feet of the slip-and-fall lawyer. You know, like the crook who sued McDonalds because some idiot poured hot coffee in her lap and WON?!

How about the one who sued Winnebago on behalf of the stupid ass who thought "cruise control" also meant "auto-pilot", and ALSO WON?!

They're the ones to blame for scaring dealers into not doing what the law allows them to do. Not the dealers themselves.

You are on the money there. I have spoken to three FFLs on the Eastern Shore and the bottom line is that they are worried about either repercussions from the MSP if they release early or legal liability should an early release firearm be involved in a crime.

While I can't say that I blame them, my future purchases will be going to the dealers who are releasing now. I love my local businesses, but you are either in the fight against tyranny or you aren't. Those who are brave enough to stick their necks out will have my unwavering support (and cash).

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    You are on the money there. I have spoken to three FFLs on the Eastern Shore and the bottom line is that they are worried about either repercussions from the MSP if they release early or legal liability should an early release firearm be involved in a crime.

While I can't say that I blame them, my future purchases will be going to the dealers who are releasing now. I love my local businesses, but you are either in the fight against tyranny or you aren't. Those who are brave enough to stick their necks out will have my unwavering support (and cash).

Agreed, I believe the only valid reason for a dealer not releasing at this moment would be insurance and legal liabilities (not from MSP), for release to someone who cannot pass a background check, and then commits a crime with said weapon. Thanks MSP for holding NICS checking hostage... ass clowns. I abluad those dealers that are releasing, whether they're doing NICS checks or not. Good judgement will beat a background check everytime.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    Cooters Classic Firearms in Darlington called yesterday and left a message to set up a pick up time for my two AR lowers from 05/22/13. I'm not sure if this is the case for all his transferees. I have done prior transfers with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom