• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Sorry this took so long everyone. As long the FFL's follow a couple rules they can release on the 8th day. This puts MSP as taking responsibility for the NICS and NTN. Here it is BLACK AND WHITE!

View attachment Weekly update 5-31.doc

We have received requests for information from dealers regarding the release of Regulated firearms on the 8th day. These are applications in which guns are released prior to receiving a NICS number. Dealers releasing regulated firearms on the 8th day, that are on the fax program, will submit the MSP Copy of the Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm with a notice attached to each application with the following statement, “Eighth day release of a regulated firearm.” It is imperative that the written notice of an “Eighth day release” be attached, not written on the actual application to ensure that we process them correctly.

Last edited:

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    Slow down there partner, I think everyone is reading too much into this! MSP did not say you could release, just the formal process if you decide you are going to.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Slow down there partner, I think everyone is reading too much into this! MSP did not say you could release, just the formal process if you decide you are going to.

The law says you can release, it doesn't need MSP's blessing. Dealers were just reluctant, and many don't understand the law (which scares the hell out of me), so this should alleviate some concerns.

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    7 wks and a day...I don't think this is really going to change a dealers mind on releasing if they haven't already done so.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010

What's the difference. MSP is officially allowing the FFL's to release on the 8th day. Seems to me that any of these new apps will get the regular NICS check done by the MSP, and will get to checking their other databases later. Plus you know how big of a lawsuit that would be against the state of Maryland, that their top law enforcement agency is telling an FFL to break federal law. Yeah, don't think so... at the very least MSP is doing the standard NICS check on these transfers. Either way, I see this as the best answer you're going to get from the MSP and puts liability on them to perform the NICS and collect any firearm that comes back disapproved when checked against their databases.

Mr H

Banana'd
    So...

(and I'm just thinking out loud here)

MSP tells the dealers "y'all g'hed"

Is it because they know they're on the short end of the law? Of course... but I wonder what their real motivation is?

Is it related to the "fax program", which lets them deal with what is now a smaller subset of dealers than it was?? Maybe it's to create a run on those dealers, creating a lull in purchasing? Or maybe (I'll pull my tinfoil a little tighter for this one...OW!), they hope the resulting rush will generate mistakes by the dealers?!!

Now what about the mail-only dealers who haven't already decided to release? Are they so small in number as to be insignificant?

And then are the operations like BPS and On Target, which are largely computerized.

I really don't know the answers to these... just tossing it out there.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    The reason they want them marked is so they can do the instant nics check when they receive it so they can notify the dealer within seven days of a "do not proceed".

You know, the same thing they should be doing already.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The reason they want them marked is so they can do the instant nics check when they receive it so they can notify the dealer within seven days of a "do not proceed".

What about everybody who's already in line and has to wait longer due to reallocation of resources? They have a whole new gripe and cause of action.
    Immigration reform, on a smaller scale.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County

This. Exactly - goes to show you something has been afoot the entire time and IMHO they likely were told to delay the approval process as long as possible. This has been a problem for several months and now they come up with "solutions" after the lawsuit? C'mon.......

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Uggg... please read the document. From what I can ascertain is that those who have submitted an application already via mail would following these instructions. And then obviously release them as they're way past eight days anyway, hence the wording "duplicate".

Dealers releasing regulated firearms that are mailing applications by certified mail, and have submitted a Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm will complete a second application. The dealer will write, “Duplicate,” above the application number. In addition, the dealer will cross out the application number at the top of the “Duplicate” form and will write the application number of the initial application.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Ok I have a question about this.

1. Was this notice sent via letter, email, or other means like a web posting?

Not that it matters but FFLs were able to do this all along as I have been saying, this just gives the MSP advanced notification to run the NICS check as soon as the app comes in, further compounding the situation for some of us. We do not know who will release early as it is still up to the FFL.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I have a feeling my ffl will not follow this and I will be in for an even longer wait.

May be time to find a new shop :(

This is exactly what I have been saying. I'm calling my one FFL who has been holding a handgun of mine for 7 weeks now. He has stated that he will not ship inside of maryland, which is fine, I will cancel the order, buy online or through my new FFL who already releases prior to this MSP notice

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    I have a feeling my ffl will not follow this and I will be in for an even longer wait.

May be time to find a new shop :(

Doing some long distance calling (8000 miles away) it seems that not all FFL's have received this email yet for some dumb reason. If your FFL has not received this "Weekly update 5-31" then have them call MSP to send a copy of the message via mail or whatever. I can understand FFL's not confirming release until they've seen it for themselves. And for you conspiracy nuts out there, Bass Pro Shop in Arundel Mills has confirmed receipt of this email from the MSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom