• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I’m well aware that what I envision may not actually happen, lol

What do you do when you travel / hotel overnights etc? Just a pistol? I thought you just made a thread about this. Or do you have a folding AR?
    Down in Florida now, and have some traveling to do to take some AR classes. Headed down here I just had this realization that "just having 9mm" wasn't good enough to be out on the road for any amount of time longer than a vacation. I opted to leave my AR pistol back in MD to take the LWRC. I had to because of class.

I have this 5.11 heavy cordura tote bag I put a coat, etc... to take into the hotel room. I just break the AR in half and the lower fits the bottom just fine and the upper gives the top a little stretch, but so very normal looking with a coat or something sitting on top as I carry it.

The dream of me carrying the Sig in a backpack over my shoulder while headed out for the day of shopping, etc...EDC never saw the light of day. It just isn't feasible. More of a burden than a help. Plus it wouldn't fit in the pack with my Obsidian attached.

It is so not normal to be out in public and see a short haired white guy wearing Merrells, a Sangin watch, with a backpack on his back. Sore thumb and I don't want to be that guy.
    Eberlestock, Viktos, 5.11 and all these other gear companies have built a huge money making business for this fantasy world of PCC back pack carry.
    Also, I just don't collect enough anymore for me to even have a PCC. Especially as I am thinning out the heard as I get older.
    The Sig sure was fun though.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    What is a pistol caliber carbine? It's nothing more than a tacticool way of saying semi-automatic submachinegun. If this is true, and I believe it is, then why not buy the best? Only one SMG has been in continuous production essentially unchanged since 1966 with no end in sight and used by almost every military and government agency in the Western world. That's all I need to know to know which design to buy. Everything else is just a solution looking for a problem.
    You want a 5.56 option that's the size of an MP5? That's easy as pie. The SIG 553, Swiss made, of course. Everything else is a Yugo compared to a BMW.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Down in Florida now, and have some traveling to do to take some AR classes. Headed down here I just had this realization that "just having 9mm" wasn't good enough to be out on the road for any amount of time longer than a vacation. I opted to leave my AR pistol back in MD to take the LWRC. I had to because of class.

I have this 5.11 heavy cordura tote bag I put a coat, etc... to take into the hotel room. I just break the AR in half and the lower fits the bottom just fine and the upper gives the top a little stretch, but so very normal looking with a coat or something sitting on top as I carry it.

The dream of me carrying the Sig in a backpack over my shoulder while headed out for the day of shopping, etc...EDC never saw the light of day. It just isn't feasible. More of a burden than a help. Plus it wouldn't fit in the pack with my Obsidian attached.

It is so not normal to be out in public and see a short haired white guy wearing Merrells, a Sangin watch, with a backpack on his back. Sore thumb and I don't want to be that guy.
    Eberlestock, Viktos, 5.11 and all these other gear companies have built a huge money making business for this fantasy world of PCC back pack carry.
    Also, I just don't collect enough anymore for me to even have a PCC. Especially as I am thinning out the heard as I get older.
    The Sig sure was fun though.
    Makes sense.

In my philosophy of use, I don't see it as a backpack that I'm walking around with in public, but more like just walking in/out of hotel rooms with and drawing less attention or having on my passenger floorboard during a long road trip. Also something less cumbersome that I can case up and fly with (versus a long rifle case, but yes break down an AR and it can do the same). All things I do frequent.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Makes sense.

In my philosophy of use, I don't see it as a backpack that I'm walking around with in public, but more like just walking in/out of hotel rooms with and drawing less attention or having on my passenger floorboard during a long road trip. Also something less cumbersome that I can case up and fly with (versus a long rifle case, but yes break down an AR and it can do the same). All things I do frequent.
    Yeah I get it totally. Just for me, there really isn't anything I can do with the Sig that I can't do with my pistol. Plus I will get to my pistol faster than the backpack. As a matter of fact, I am probably dropping everything I have on me so I can use my pistol. If I am having 2 firearms with me they are both going to serve different roles and caliber.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Yeah I get it totally. Just for me, there really isn't anything I can do with the Sig that I can't do with my pistol. Plus I will get to my pistol faster than the backpack. As a matter of fact, I am probably dropping everything I have on me so I can use my pistol. If I am having 2 firearms with me they are both going to serve different roles and caliber.
    Ya I've been having this same convo many times over with a like minded friend of mine, LOL.

End of the day, if I don't put it to use as I intend, it should still make a fun range toy / cheap "rifle" to plink with. 9mm still half the cost of 5.56 right now. The ammo cost itself has kept me from really doing anything with any of my ARs in the last couple years. Though I could have bought a lot of 5.56 with the money I just spent on this AP5 w/accessories, ROFL

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I’ve been all over the country hunting and shooting and have never worried about carrying a rifle case anywhere. Nothing wrong with being stealth but certainly not necessary. I have a medium small backpack that fits my 300 blk AR with 8.5 barrel that I take bow hunting in case a yote is out of reach. I don’t think I’d go through the trouble for a pcc.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ya I've been having this same convo many times over with a like minded friend of mine, LOL.

End of the day, if I don't put it to use as I intend, it should still make a fun range toy / cheap "rifle" to plink with. 9mm still half the cost of 5.56 right now. The ammo cost itself has kept me from really doing anything with any of my ARs in the last couple years. Though I could have bought a lot of 5.56 with the money I just spent on this AP5 w/accessories, ROFL
    LOL we're all fcked up when it comes to this crap lol

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    LOL we're all fcked up when it comes to this crap lol
    Hahahahaha yep.

Atlantic shipped the AP5 already this morning, scheduled to arrive at Tylers tomorrow.

My (4) 30 round mags have shipped.

My Midwest Industries m-lok rail handguard has shipped.

Still waiting for optic rail and collapsible buttstock.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’ve been all over the country hunting and shooting and have never worried about carrying a rifle case anywhere. Nothing wrong with being stealth but certainly not necessary. I have a medium small backpack that fits my 300 blk AR with 8.5 barrel that I take bow hunting in case a yote is out of reach. I don’t think I’d go through the trouble for a pcc.
    It’s not so much a matter of drawing attention, more so just the physical size of a rifle case when I’m already dragging a laptop bag and luggage. Would be nice if I’m road tripping/hoteling to just have something (more capable than my pocket pistol) in my backpack/laptop bag. Same with flying , being able to use my medium/square pelican case versus a long bulky rifle case.

Funny story, as I was just returning from traveling a couple weeks ago, I hopped into an Uber at BWI. It was one of these tiny crossover SUV types. I did have a rifle case (two rifles and a pistol) but it wouldn’t fit sideways in the back of this little SUV, and there was no room for it front to back because of the seat configuration. So I brought it into the back seat with me and put it sideways at my feet, from door to door. Now, it’s clearly a rifle case, with 4 big locks on it. The driver looks at me after I hop in, looks at my case and says, “Golf?”… I looked at him trying to figure out if he was serious, then I replied, “Violin”… he just goes, “OH, Violin, nice”…. ROFL people are clueless.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Now my 7 days start.

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members