• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I've never paid too much attention to them, but recently I've been wanting to find the "right" PCC. I've tried the Keltec Sub2k, hated it. No cheek weld, cheap feeling, just meh. Next tried the S&W FPC, it was better than the Keltec, but not by a lot. Still kind of meh. I have a Ruger PCC, and while I do like the feel, it's long and heavy.

I really want a small-ish 9mm PCC, something that can fit into a backpack. As I get older I'm understanding the value of quality over "bargain". I randomly saw some for sale the other day and got me thinking. One of my favorite YouTubers (HonestOutlaw) just did a couple videos and now really has me wanting to try one.

With all that said, before I drop three grand on ordering a new one, anyone have a HK SP5 I can shoot to get a feel for it?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Some kind of delayed blowback makes a huge difference. Other options are the CMMG RDB setup, that’s probably cheapest. Angstadt Arms, JP make roller delayed uppers, and Mean arms makes a bearing delayed upper. If willing to go with a different platform, the Stribogs are worth a look with a good price point. https://grandpower.eu/products/product-categories/stribog-line/45acp-stribog-line/stribog-sp45/
    Yep, that's a big selling point for me (delayed blowback).

I love using my Rugged Obsidian 9. Bonus for the HK is I use the HK patterned 3-lug mount with my Obsidian. (obviously can be added to any other firearm too lol)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Where are you in MD? I have most of the roller delay options covered.

An MKE is going to run you a little over a grand to get one w/ a trilug bbl. Its cheaper than the Mean Arms AR upper.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Where are you in MD? I have most of the roller delay options covered.

An MKE is going to run you a little over a grand to get one w/ a trilug bbl. Its cheaper than the Mean Arms AR upper.
    Anne Arundel County... I'm willing to travel. Will bring ammo + suppressor :-)

I'm not worried about price. Not to say I'm rich, but, I'm willing to spend if that means I'm getting the best.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    OK.... Atlantic has the Century Arms/MKE AP5 for $1155/shipped..... with the accessories I want, plus SBR, etc, it's looking like a pretty good option...

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    OK.... Atlantic has the Century Arms/MKE AP5 for $1155/shipped..... with the accessories I want, plus SBR, etc, it's looking like a pretty good option...

Can you elaborate on "plus SBR". There is a whole thread on here about how difficult/annoying it is to SBR in MD with a min 29" inch length requirement.

One reason I've held off on a SP5 or clone... well that and I really would prefer an HK so the cost too...

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The 29" is irrelevant. Just put a brace on it.

I don't shoot my SP5 but I've been shooting the hell out of my MKE's since 2009 or 10. They just shoot and shoot and shoot with no problems; we're talking 1000's of rounds. You almost can't miss at 100 yards and I recommend an MKE to anyone and everyone who asks.

A typical 100 yard target after an afternoon with open sights through a an MKE of either standard length or the shorter K model, it matters not:

Last edited:

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Can you elaborate on "plus SBR". There is a whole thread on here about how difficult/annoying it is to SBR in MD with a min 29" inch length requirement.

One reason I've held off on a SP5 or clone... well that and I really would prefer an HK so the cost too...
    I'm not an MD resident.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

I don't shoot my SP5 but I've been shooting the hell out of my MKE's since 2009 or 10. They just shoot and shoot and shoot with no problems; we're talking 1000's of rounds. You almost can't miss at 100 yards and I recommend an MKE to anyone and everyone who asks.

A typical 100 yard target after an afternoon with open sights through a an MKE of either standard length or the shorter K model, it matters not:

Noted and thanks. Now back to the OP. Actually, what brace did you land on? I’m a ways away from buying anything. Gun fund is beyond bare ATM.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

Is the HK better, sure. Is the HK worth almost 3x the cost????

OK... Y'all talked me into it...

MKE AP5 ordered from Atlantic Firearms...

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.00.17 AM.png

Midwest Industries M-lok handguard and optic rail ordered...

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 11.58.53 PM.png

Magazines ordered...
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.06.43 AM.png

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Smart move. I have a number of MKE examples spanning almost 15 years now and buy at least one from each new importer. The finish and a few welding details have changed over time but the mechanical Quality has remained consistently excellent. My number one advice, use it as it comes. If you start changing out bit's to "improve" it, you're only going to screw it up. If anything wears out, (extractor spring) replace it with an MKE or an HK part. Otherwise, just leave it as it came (other than adding a stock/brace and optic if you like of course). Sticking the flash hider on there looks neat, but it's going to screw with your point of aim; just leave it in the case and forget about it. Once you have it sighted in, it essentially becomes an appliance. Load magazines, empty magazines, repeat. However, it IS a roller delayed blowback, not an AK, so you do have to clean it now and then or reliability will suffer. When cleaning, don't try to get it so clean that you can stick your fingertip into the trunnion the next day and it comes out spotless. First off, I'm not sure that's even possible. Second, If you do somehow manage to get it that clean, you're overcleaning it and actually doing more harm than good. Like a good woman, a good roller is best when it's just a little dirty. You've made a smart choice in buying an MKE. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. I've been a big believer in legacy HK's since the 80's and I'll help if I can.

Last edited:

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Noted and thanks. Now back to the OP. Actually, what brace did you land on? I’m a ways away from buying anything. Gun fund is beyond bare ATM.
    Atlantic has the MKE A3 style collapsible buttstock, in stock (guess they are hard to get? just recently re-stocked I guess?)

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 12.07.57 AM.png

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Atlantic has the MKE A3 style collapsible buttstock, in stock (guess they are hard to get? just recently re-stocked I guess?)

View attachment 450462

Yes, they go FAST. If you want one, get it now. It might seem expensive until you start looking at the cost of an HK stock and realize they start at around $600. Again, the MKE collapsible stocks are built just as well as HK examples.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Smart move. I have a number of MKE examples spanning almost 15 years now and buy at least one from each new importer. The finish and a few welding details have changed over time but the mechanical Quality has remained consistently excellent. My number one advice, use it as it comes. If you start changing out bit's to "improve" it, you're only going to screw it up. If anything wears out, (extractor spring) replace it with an MKE or an HK part. Otherwise, just leave it as it came (other than adding a stock/brace and optic if you like of course). Sticking the flash hider on there looks neat, but it's going to screw with your point of aim; just leave it in the case and forget about it. Once you have it sighted in, it essentially becomes an appliance. Load magazines, empty magazines, repeat. However, it IS a roller delayed blowback, not an AK, so you do have to clean it now and then or reliability will suffer. When cleaning, don't try to get it so clean that you can stick your fingertip into the trunnion the next day and it comes out spotless. First off, I'm not sure that's even possible. Second, If you do somehow manage to get it that clean, you're overcleaning it and actually doing more harm than good. Like a good woman, a good roller is best when it's just a little dirty. You've made a smart choice in buying an MKE. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. I've been a big believer in legacy HK's since the 80's and I'll help if I can.
    Thanks a bunch. Appreciate the advice.

I plan to do exactly like you mentioned. Buttstock, handgrip with m-lok for a flashlight, and optic rail with red dot. Thanks it. Plan to slap my Rugged Obsidian 9 suppressor on it as well of course.

I’m getting really excited about this now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom