• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I picked up a 3D printer a couple of weeks ago and it is a blast to use. There are tons of things already engineered on sites like Thingiverse. Just download the files and convert to Gcode, and print. Now, I want to learn how to do CAD designs so I can make things on my own.

Homesick Texan

Dec 15, 2012
    Middle TN
    I picked up a 3D printer a couple of weeks ago and it is a blast to use. There are tons of things already engineered on sites like Thingiverse. Just download the files and convert to Gcode, and print. Now, I want to learn how to do CAD designs so I can make things on my own.

Which one did you get? I've been looking but there are so many choices.

Nov 14, 2011
    New Windsor
    I totally agree with you. I just take exception to the FB post implying that 3D printers are illegal in MoCo. I don't see a justification for confiscating a 3D printer. Next we are going to need a permit for a 3D printer. And then to have a metal shop.

I'm not super knowledgeable in a lot of things but I don't think the implication here is that a 3d printer is illegal. When crimes are committed aren't things that are related to or used in the commission of generally confiscated and held as evidence?
    It's a pretty shite photo but it looks like there's a few printed glock frames on the table which could theoretically have been printed on that printer. I do find it funny that there is a roll of white filament on the table as there isn't anything else white on the table save for some tape.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Lol there’s no way y’all can be this dense.

Okay so you go to make a bomb right…..

You need wire (not illegal)
    Pipe (not illegal)
    Gun powder (not illegal)
    Fuses (not illegal)
    Batteries (not illegal)
    Timers (not illegal)

Whatever else McGiver would use to build a bomb that was purchased at Home Depot, presumably not illegal.

Now police find you in possession of a bomb and all those other materials. They don’t just take the bomb they take all the other evidentiary materials too.

Dude has a 3D printed gun. He was prohibited from owning guns. Presumably he used the found 3D printer to print that gun that he was prohibited from owning. That makes the 3D printer a logical piece of evidence.

It doesn’t say the printer is illegal, unless i missed it in the original bulletin, but should be pretty damn easy to articulate he was using it to further the illegality of his behavior.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland

Pipe (not illegal)
    Gun powder (not illegal)
    Fuses (not illegal)
    Batteries (not illegal)
    Timers (not illegal)

Whatever else McGiver would use to build a bomb that was purchased at Home Depot, presumably not illegal.

Now police find you in possession of a bomb and all those other materials. They don’t just take the bomb they take all the other evidentiary materials too.

Dude has a 3D printed gun. He was prohibited from owning guns. Presumably he used the found 3D printer to print that gun that he was prohibited from owning. That makes the 3D printer a logical piece of evidence.

It doesn’t say the printer is illegal, unless i missed it in the original bulletin, but should be pretty damn easy to articulate he was using it to further the illegality of his behavior.

Brother, thank you. I was reading thru this and confused by the confusion....he had 3D printed guns!! He was a shit bag....prohibited....using the guns presumably to supply to other bad guys....what do we not understand???

I get 2 A stuff....but not felons......geez...

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I can usually stay away from the bufoonery that some people.on this board spew....sometimes I can't help but wonder with wonderment of said bufoonery. The hate of cops by some people here, blind you from using common sense. Don't worry, for those that dislike the cops, most of them have stopped doing anything now. Shootings just about every night. Homicides have sky rocketed. Enjoy and be happy. Don't call 911. I'm out.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Pipe (not illegal)
    Gun powder (not illegal)
    Fuses (not illegal)
    Batteries (not illegal)
    Timers (not illegal)

Wanna bet?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Pipe (not illegal)
    Gun powder (not illegal)
    Fuses (not illegal)
    Batteries (not illegal)
    Timers (not illegal)

Ok, so taken as evidence. That makes total sense. Not sure who on this thread is hating on cops. I will say though this press release touting the new Ghost Gun law states:

However, individuals may build ghost guns at home using blueprints and 3D printers

https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail.aspx?Item_ID=34040&Dept=1

I guess you can say that I am reading too much into this, but then again, this is Montgomery county.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Pipe (not illegal)
    Gun powder (not illegal)
    Fuses (not illegal)
    Batteries (not illegal)
    Timers (not illegal)

Oh, and by the way, if you look at Maryland Shall Issue at legislation from MGA 2019, the title of the legislation is
    HB740 and SB882 - Criminal Law – Firearms – Computer–Aided Fabrication and Serial Number (3D Printed Firearms & Ghost Guns) .

I know that is not MoCo, but, why are they calling out 3D printers specifically? No, I think the concern is genuine, not based on the stupidity of the membership here.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They are not coming after everyone's 3D printers.

BUT, if it becomes illegal to 3D print gun(frames), and you are caught printing said frames with your printer, you will be arrested and your printer taken in as evidence of your illegal deed.

That's the way it works.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They are not coming after everyone's 3D printers.

BUT, if it becomes illegal to 3D print gun(frames), and you are caught printing said frames with your printer, you will be arrested and your printer taken in as evidence of your illegal deed.

That's the way it works.

That makes total sense, but when you see legislation calls out 3D printers in the title of the bill, that has the appearance of going after 3D printers.

IDK, maybe I am reading way too much into this.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That makes total sense, but when you see legislation calls out 3D printers in the title of the bill, that has the appearance of going after 3D printers.

IDK, maybe I am reading way too much into this.

They can’t possibly go after 3-D printers.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I will add this;every time a LEO has to deal with one of these jack wagons, more and more, it's become a crap shoot whether that officer goes home after their shift. It's the wild F'ing west out there anymore.

Cut them a little slack.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I will add this;every time a LEO has to deal with one of these jack wagons, more and more, it's become a crap shoot whether that officer goes home after their shift. It's the wild F'ing west out there anymore.

Cut them a little slack.

I think this is a very fair statement. Look at the LEO on this board. Upstanding gentlemen all, with many being the first to help if you need it. I’m not above being a dick to a dick, but we should consider their job.

Unless they serve ERPOs.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think this is a very fair statement. Look at the LEO on this board. Upstanding gentlemen all, with many being the first to help if you need it. I’m not above being a dick to a dick, but we should consider their job.

Unless they serve ERPOs.

All duly noted. Had I known this would have been considered a slight to our LE, I would never had posted, and do apologize. Take whatever evidence you need.

To the lunatic fringe that runs MoCo and creates terrible legislation that does not solve any problems, I make no such apology. They can all kiss my a$$.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    All duly noted. Had I known this would have been considered a slight to our LE, I would never had posted, and do apologize. Take whatever evidence you need.

To the lunatic fringe that runs MoCo and creates terrible legislation that does not solve any problems, I make no such apology. They can all kiss my a$$.

rest assured you aren't the issue my friend. The way I understand the rules of this board, I can't point out the feckless dolts that say dumb shit, because that wouldn't be nice...but I know who they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom