• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Thanks!!!!

I was told that it was a 'gun of the year', and the winner donated it back to FNRA, to make some more $$$ for them.

One of the guys at the SCSC banquet was bidding against me, to get this for his g/f.
    His g/f wouldn't let him bid any higher, so, I got it for less than $300.00.

Shortly after the FNRA banquet, they broke up. (I'll bet he's glad he didn't spend the $$$.):D

Other than factory testing, it's never been fired.

Should you ever get in a pinch I'll give you 100% of your money back! :D

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    ADR,

My wife shoots a Ruger SP 101 and a S&W 36. We picked up the Ruger new years ago and the S&W about a year ago from Shooters Discount for $280 (I think). If youd like we can meet up and you guys can shoot them if youd like. I'm a member at Monacay Pistol Club and the AGC so we could shoot them there.

Brian

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    For snubbies, I like the Colt Detective Special or another Colt D frame 2". I find them easiest to shoot. Next would be the S&W K frame 2". All are available locally, usually less than $500.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    You're all a damn fine group of individuals despite what most anti-gun folks want to believe.

Thanks for all the replies, recommendations, and offers to let her try guns you own! I haven't been ignoring the comments, just sitting back and taking it all in. There were a few options that I either hadn't thought of or had simply forgotten about.

She managed to get off tomorrow so we're going shooting in the morning and after that, we're going to do some browsing around so she can handle some more revolvers and get a better feel for what she might possibly like, or dislike. (All her idea by the way.)

One thing I do know about her is that once she gets hold of the right gun, that one that fits her like a glove and just feels right, it'll all be over but the paperwork.

I might be making the common mistake of trying to predict what the wife will do, but I have an odd feeling she's going to end up choosing a .38/.357.

If she just so happens to find a vintage Colt or S&W that she loves tucked away in a case somewhere - :party29:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good luck with finding the perfect revolver.

Don't know if there is such a thing but she made a decision.

I was only 1/2 right about what she would do. Once she found the right one, that was all it took, but... she didn't go with a .38 or .357 which proves that you just can't predict a woman no matter how long you've been married to her.

She spent a good bit of time looking, holding, trying them out, considering features, asking questions, etc... Heck, she even had an opportunity to look at a Detective Special which she thought was cool but in her words - "I do like this older model but I think it's one better suited for the next purchase down the road."

From the beginning, she understood that the decision is all hers and that while I'd provide whatever input/guidance I could, she would need to decide because in my mind, regardless of age, the first gun purchase is the special one you always remember and she needs to do it for herself.

In the end, her decision was based on the fact that she wanted the lightest, smallest, most streamlined revolver that she could comfortably handle and enjoy shooting. She threw one more thing in the mix that I had not considered which is that she wanted something our oldest daughter could handle (as well as our youngest eventually), so she can share the experience with them. (What I didn't know is that she had her safety card on her and had been saving money for the purchase.)

In the end, she went with a Smith in .22 WMR and although it is a pricey little bastard, I was most impressed when she handled a similar Taurus that was much cheaper and determined that the exposed hammer, adjustable rear sight, and large front sight didn't make sense because they would be likely to snag/grab.

Is it the ultimate, most perfect, uber self defense revolver ever? Maybe not in the grand scheme of things but as she puts it - If I ever have to shoot somebody, "I want the best chance of hitting them with every round in the gun and I think I have a better chance of doing that with this gun than one of the same size/weight in .38 or .357".

I'll put the actual pics up when the state of Maryland says she can bring it home.

Attachments

• 634718138343970051fhhmryvk.jpg
      634718138343970051fhhmryvk.jpg
      37.6 KB · Views: 72

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Congrats. No choice is perfect. It's infinitely better than a stick. Watch out for the muzzle flash from that sucka.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Congrats. No choice is perfect. It's infinitely better than a stick. Watch out for the muzzle flash from that sucka.

LOL - I told her they have a bit of muzzle flash from what I hear, she just grinned. :D

She said, "Now you have to but me a holster". Of course dear. (And under my breath I said, and one for me too. :lol2:)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Yes Sir, that's on the list and probably the one I would tend to trust more.

Winchester has a PDX1 round for it also and I believe Speer now makes a defense round in 22 WMR as well.

Both briefly discussed here, http://www.chuckhawks.com/speer_WMR_GDHP-SB.htm. Of those two, Gold Dot fairs best for SD from a 2" barrel. Tough choice between Hornady CD and Speer GD. I use and like both of them (in .38Sp).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a bit behind the curve , but ....

You can only bend the laws of physics just so far. Modest recoil , substantial cal , and "as light as possble" do not fit in the same sentence.

"As light/ small as possable" often get obsessed over at the expense of " Plenty darn light/ small enough" . In real life a 16oz snub is indestinguishable from a 10oz to carry. Up to the low 20's is of minimal notice. From actual experience , an Airwt J Frame just as easy to carry *in a manner able to draw in reasonable time* as a .25acp .

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE revolvers. I like .22WMR revolvers (albeit with 4in plus bbls) . I have a fetish over .32s . But the next one to look at is n all steel .38spl. Up to her/ them between Jframe / Det Spl/ SP101/ KFrame. But I will say that a JFrame with oversize grips ends up being just as easy to conceal as an RB KFrame with Boot Grips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom