• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Charter makes the Undercoverette in .32 H&R Mag but I don't know anything about the quality of Charter Arms other than seeing some bad press here and there?

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    How about a Ruger SP101? Heavy enough to soak up the recoil and comes in a snubby.

Also, Ruger Revolvers will last a lifetime.

I tried that recommendation on the basis that a buddy's very small wife has one and loves it. I suspect it met a somewhat cold reception because she knows with an SP101 she'll have to come looking for it because I'll probably have it. :lol2:

Al's Snackbar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    S&W .38 Bodyguard.

smith_and_wesson_bodyguard_38___38_special__p_1621.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    There is also the S&W Model 19 and it's stainless sister the Model 66.

It's a K frame, like the Model 10, but is chambered in .357 Magnum. Full sized service grips, solid frame and comes in a 2.5 in barrel.

pix384315754.jpg

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I tried that recommendation on the basis that a buddy's very small wife has one and loves it. I suspect it met a somewhat cold reception because she knows with an SP101 she'll have to come looking for it because I'll probably have it. :lol2:

I can definitely relate to that :D Good luck in your search.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you had not written she hates shooting the LCR, then simple choices would be the S&W 442 and 642LS. Ruling those out in favor of steel J-frames, the next best options are S&W 639 and 640. They are ideal for small hands.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Charter makes the Undercoverette in .32 H&R Mag but I don't know anything about the quality of Charter Arms other than seeing some bad press here and there?

You're better off lighting your money on fire in the back yard and dancing a jig around it.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Make sure she gets a chance to shoot it before you buy one.

If you want to try mine I have a Taurus 606

Its a .357 that is 6 shot and best part it's ported

I am sure that you can find some one with the model she likes on this forum that will let her try it.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    Good for her for wanting to carry! I would try to talk her out of a snubby. Snubby's are harder to shoot and don't carry a lot of rounds. I carry a smith 642 .38 on my ankle as a back up gun, but my wife does not like shooting it. There are a lot of small 9mm's out there that will be a lot more comfortable for her to shoot.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I would stick with a 3 inch, you get a full length ejection rod. My recommendation, a model 64 K frame.

M64-003-1.jpg

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Unfortunately (as far as choices go) yes, she's set on a revolver. She's competent but in her head not confident with a semi-auto. If god forbid she ever has to use it, she wants it as simple as possible.

Pay for her to attend a class.

A member here enrolled his wife and daughter in a class. The guy's wife was a novice, the 18 year old girl was flat out new to shooting. I was also in the same class. Both of them became competent gun handlers/shooters during the two day class. I felt comfortable having the 18 year old next to me on the line.

A Glock 17 or 19 is drop dead simple. Malfunction clearing is easy. I was shooting a S&W M&P and I would say the M&P is as easy for malfunction clearing as a 17/19. There are some malfunctions that might turn a revolver into a club.

This forum has several very good trainers who can help your wife. Some have ladies only classes. Sometimes those are best for some ladies.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I thought about that because of the ability to shoot other rounds like the .32 H&R but there aren't many gun options (if any that you can actually find) and the ammo is pretty expensive from what I've seen.

There are plenty of 32 mag or 327 revolvers available. And relative to 38's, 32 mag ammo is about the same cost.

To the original poster, your wife needs either a Taurus M327, a Tauris 731, or a Ruger SP101 in 327. My wife hated shooting my LCR 38, but loves shooting her SP101 with 32 H&R magnums. She does not like shooting the 327magnums, as they are too hot for her.

There is some terrific 32 H&R defensive ammo out there. Very easy to find and buy online. Not expensive. And most important, my recoil shy wife loves shooting the 32 mags. The 32mag is much more potent round than a 22, and is mor reliable as a centerfire as opposed to rimfire.

I say, find a 32mag or 327 revolver let her enjoy shooting the 32 H&R magnum rounds.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    A Ruger Speed Six would make a nice choice if you can find one. My ex-wife has small hands and she liked the Sp-101. It was fairly pleasent for her with .38 Specials, but she could succesfully fire up to 158gr .38+p with no real problem. It's heavier than the Smiths, but that means less felt recoil.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I was thinking .327 Federal as well. A .327 Federal in a relatively heavy SP-101 should be quite pleasant to shoot. .327 Federal purportedly has around 20 percent less felt recoil than .38 +P while generating more muzzle energy. Additionally, the SP-101 and similar Taurus model in .327 carry 6 rounds of .327 vs. 5 rounds of .38/.357 in the same size cylinder. In the event that the .327 still proved to be too much then she would have the option of hot loaded .32 H&R magnum rounds as well.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Find a S&W mdl 60 Ladysmith in .38 Special, or a S&W mdl 66 w/ 2-1/2" barrel!!

Here's what the Ladysmith looks like:

Mdl60Ladysmith197of300rightside.jpg

Mdl60Ladysmith197of300leftside.jpg

I picked that Ladysmith up, at a FNRA Banquet a few years ago, for less than $300.00! Look closely at the serial #!!

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    In the event that the .327 still proved to be too much then she would have the option of hot loaded .32 H&R magnum rounds as well.

Which is what my wife does. She will shoot a few 327 rounds if I ask, but she doesn't like it. She is an excellent shot with 32 mags. Very accurate. But shooting the 327's she is a completely different shooter, in a bad way. Off the mark and just tight and flinchy while shooting. Leave her to the any 32 H&R mag load and she is dead accurate and grinning ear to ear.

The 327 has a similar concussion feeling as the 357. Of course not as much, but to a recoil shy person, a 327 is quite a lot for the senses. It isn't the physical force of the recoil it is the perceived recoil that is too much for some......my wife included.

Buffalo Bore 32 H&R mags are 326 ft/lbs out of a 3" barrel. I have no worries about her being under powered with her 32 ammo.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    NICE score at a great price! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks!!!!

I was told that it was a 'gun of the year', and the winner donated it back to FNRA, to make some more $$$ for them.

One of the guys at the SCSC banquet was bidding against me, to get this for his g/f.
    His g/f wouldn't let him bid any higher, so, I got it for less than $300.00.

Shortly after the FNRA banquet, they broke up. (I'll bet he's glad he didn't spend the $$$.):D

Other than factory testing, it's never been fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom