• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    While it is true that these Krav Maga classes are designed for any "Joe Schmoe" to do, like another poster said, I would seriously consider not signing up for it with your condition. It is not for everybody.

You don't become flexible with the stretches and warmups that you do before training at KM, you need to have some degree of flexibilty beforehand. With an arthritic condition in your back, I can think of few things worse for you than KM.

They will require you to sign up and agree to pay for six months. While you can get out of the contract by demonstrating a medical condition with a doctor's note, I would consider something less stressful than Krav. Just my 2 cents, but I would not like to see someone getting hurt or wasting their money.

Go to Columbia and talk to Jeff Mount, lay it all out for him and he will give you a straight up yes or no if it something he and KravMD thinks you can do without causing more issues.

The one thing I always liked about the Columbia guys is that they would work with you to make sure you, as an individual, got the most out of the class and that the techniques worked for you.

Of course my wife and I went during the day (morning) when we had 8 - 12 people in each class instead of the 20+ they have at the evening classes.

Talk to Jeff, he won't BS you.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sorry for pulling a "Merlin" guys, I just got back off of vacation and replied as I saw them instead of multi-quoting.

rummy

Jan 11, 2008
    After taking MMA classes for about a year, I attended 3 half day Krav workshops that were open to the public. 90% of the attendees were already Krav students or instructors. One workshop was the firearms take away class; and honestly these are among the few drills I still occasionally practice. Was well worth my time and money to learn and drill those techniques for half a day.

I don't know many people who have taken Krav for a year or more that didn't get hurt; something to consider.

I believe if you have a training partner or small group and can train safely/regularly, you can learn virtually all of the Krav techniques adequately much faster than going through their 'levels' program; which is designed to pay the bills.
    However, you will get a structured program that will be challenging. I don't have enough experience with any martial disclipline to critique; so I do recommend you take their 'one free class offer', if they are still doing that. Check their schedule and see when the next special workshop is. I heard that long ago when they were struggling to get students, you could buy like 10 class passes for $100. This offer I would consider.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ignz0VLLwA?***********

so much this.

the thing that i like KM is that there are no super-secret-squirrel moves and it relies heavily on violence of action and strong, instinctual strikes...a punch is a punch is a punch and a kick a kick - just thrown them well.

i disagree with whoever said that it is only for strong guys - you obviously have no idea what you are talking about...

yes. a VERY strong separation of civilians and LEO/MIL. in fact, when i asked the girl who talked me into signing up why i couldn't attend the restricted classes, she gave me a line about her brother being a cop and that she is scared that if people knew their secrets, he would be unsafe. that about pissed me off and i shouldve walked, but i'm a dummy and signed up still.

all this being said - a group of people can train this easily on their own with videos, pads and a backyard...supplemented with some seminars for specialized stuff.

as always, if there is any interest, ill meet you in patterson park any weekend.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    Found a Krav Maga class (only for sworn LEOs and military, which is BS because I'd like to take it) about disarming armed assailants. I'm sure there are folks on here who could use use this training for their jobs.

Secondarily, I'm thinking of taking regular Krav Maga classes. Anyone have any positive or negative experience with it?

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f590414a7f4b786a06c4c16e8&id=da3d3eb29b&e=2f28e8e0ee

I took a 8 hour "Active Shooter Response" at Krav Columbia today. It was open to anyone (including non members).

Here is the link http://www.kravmd.com/active-shooter-response-training/

I probably should have posted this beforehand incase anyone else wanted to go but I believe they've done this class about 6 months ago as well. I assume they will do another.

Quick summary of the class:
    I think about 75 people attended.
    Great instructors including the 2 main instructors who are law enforcement and krav guys.
    It was mainly drills and scenarios all day long (not a lot of talking). Training included moving through crowds, disarment of handguns and long guns, "Run, Hide, Fight", baracading doors, rushing/tacking assailants, working as a group, communication, to name a few things.

I would recommend this class (if and when they do it again) to anyone interested in being safer or just having an idea of what to do in a similar bad situation.

I saw several famalies there. Ages ranged from 16 - 60+ Also included lots of females as well.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've wanted to workout at columbia's krav site for a while, but there's more important places to put that much money every month. My mom thought she was buying me a membership to the columbia krav place by apple ford on groupon for my birthday, but ended up getting me a membership at "roundhouse martial arts and krav maga", off of 100 near where the bob evans and chik-fil-a are.

Anyone have any experience with this place? Their website makes it look like a studio for kids and old fat menopausal women. I'm not in my old wrestling shape, but I'm better than most people and want something physically challenging and a place where I can hit things again.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've wanted to workout at columbia's krav site for a while, but there's more important places to put that much money every month. My mom thought she was buying me a membership to the columbia krav place by apple ford on groupon for my birthday, but ended up getting me a membership at "roundhouse martial arts and krav maga", off of 100 near where the bob evans and chik-fil-a are.

Anyone have any experience with this place? Their website makes it look like a studio for kids and old fat menopausal women. I'm not in my old wrestling shape, but I'm better than most people and want something physically challenging and a place where I can hit things again.

There are only two "legit" Krav places that I am aware of, the one off of Dobbins by the Ford place and the one in Owings Mills.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There are only two "legit" Krav places that I am aware of, the one off of Dobbins by the Ford place and the one in Owings Mills.

That is correct, although there were several "affiliates" a couple of years ago.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That is correct, although there were several "affiliates" a couple of years ago.

There was a guy in Southern AACO who used to do some training privately but I don't think he's doing it anymore.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    He wasn't part of that Krav group. There's apparently at least two separate factions within the international Krav community. :shrug:

He was with the "others".

Yeah, I'm aware of the "factions" I've never been a fan of the "True Israeli" faction, but then again, I really should give them a shot before I totally write them off.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yeah, I'm aware of the "factions" I've never been a fan of the "True Israeli" faction, but then again, I really should give them a shot before I totally write them off.

I enjoyed the couple of years I did it, but after I got injured there was no way I could put myself back through that again. I was ready for my level 3 test too…..:sad20:

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    The style is very similiar to shorin ryu mixed with jijustsu. I trained for several years in shorin ryu and this sthle looks very familiar.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    Slight hijack. I'm thinking about doing some martial art to get in shape/increase SD abilities. I'm big, tall, pretty strong, and a bit chubby. Krav Maga, sounds more or less like what I'd want to learn, but I'm unsure if I'd be able to do it at this point. How fit does one need to be to start? Also, I can't seem to find prices, people are complaining about them milking you, but I haven't seen any references to how much. Also, how often per week do you generally meet?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Slight hijack. I'm thinking about doing some martial art to get in shape/increase SD abilities. I'm big, tall, pretty strong, and a bit chubby. Krav Maga, sounds more or less like what I'd want to learn, but I'm unsure if I'd be able to do it at this point. How fit does one need to be to start? Also, I can't seem to find prices, people are complaining about them milking you, but I haven't seen any references to how much. Also, how often per week do you generally meet?

5'11" 280 pounds, so I'm not a light weight. Their take is everyone has a different fitness level and thus your 100% will be different from mine and we will be different from Norton. All they expect is you to give your 100%.

Price is roughly $125/month, you can go to as many or as few classes you qualify for in any given week. The recommend a minimum of two per week. After our first two weeks, and we got over the soreness and muscle pain, my wife and went four days a week and took a one hour class each day. After we tested out of Level 1 to Level 2, we still went four days a week but got in six classes a week, with two classes (level 1 and level 2) on Monday and Wednesday, and a level 1 class on Tuesday and Thursday.

They offer a free intro class on Saturdays, give them a call and sign up for it and see what you think.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Price is $125/month with $99 membership fee and you're on the hook for 6 months, then it goes month to month after that (i.e. you can quit at any time after 6 months). If you sign up for longer periods, it's cheaper. I believe it's $85/month if you commit for two years. Either way, the membership gets you unlimited classes, you can go as often as you want. It is expensive and it really sucks when I have to work late and miss a class (I go 2X a week) but my job is what lets me pay the bills in the first place, so that takes priority.

Don't worry about being a little out of shape. Most people prolly are when they first start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom