• Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    Found a Krav Maga class (only for sworn LEOs and military, which is BS because I'd like to take it) about disarming armed assailants. I'm sure there are folks on here who could use use this training for their jobs.

Secondarily, I'm thinking of taking regular Krav Maga classes. Anyone have any positive or negative experience with it?

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f590414a7f4b786a06c4c16e8&id=da3d3eb29b&e=2f28e8e0ee
    If you are big, strong, and male; it will probably work for you. Otherwise, if you are anywhere near Westminster, MD, I would check out Carroll County Kenpo Karate. Call Mike Guercio and see about setting a class for weapons disarms.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    You don't have to be male or strong necessarily, but you do have to be flexible, quick and able to put up with injury. It is hard training with a lot of contact, sudden movement, and if you are female, smaller or older, you will still find youself paired in contact with some bigger, stronger, younger men. When they hit or kick you, you will feel it, and even adjusting and bracing for the blows can cause strain or injury.

My wife did it and was out after 3 sessions. Did for several months but ended up injured--chronic old bum hamstring stuff. I'm in good shape otherwise at 54, some military experience, former triathlete, but you really have to take those things into account. I would recommend it but it is not easy.

As far as non-active military, LEO attending the firearms disarm session, they have their reasons for limiting it, because it limits the effective training for fitter experienced people to train with others who are not so fit or fast, and/or don't know what they are doing. There are some very experienced, tough people who train there.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    sounds like a fun class, sucks for LEO and the like only.

Speaking of Krav Maga anything around Frederick or Hagerstown that is decent?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You don't have to be male or strong necessarily, but you do have to be flexible, quick and able to put up with injury.
    That last one is super important. She frequently came back really busted up, and I know she delivered the same to some of her sparring partners.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'd like to find a new place that teaches it. I'm getting sick of doing it because of their annoying level system, which in my opinion really defeats the point of KM being a fighting system to be taught as fast as possible. Money prevails though...

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you are big, strong, and male; it will probably work for you..

Have you ever been to a Krav Maga class? This statement leads me to believe that you have not.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Found a Krav Maga class (only for sworn LEOs and military, which is BS because I'd like to take it) about disarming armed assailants. I'm sure there are folks on here who could use use this training for their jobs.

Secondarily, I'm thinking of taking regular Krav Maga classes. Anyone have any positive or negative experience with it?

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f590414a7f4b786a06c4c16e8&id=da3d3eb29b&e=2f28e8e0ee

Their LEO only policy always bothered me when I was out there, as if there were some secret ninja skills that if shown to civilians would result in the Rapture occurring.

It sort of permeated the entire place by the time I left, as if the non-LEOs were paying the bills, but they really only wanted to train professionals.

That being said, I learned a lot and I'm glad I paid the price in time and pain to do it.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You don't have to be male or strong necessarily, but you do have to be flexible, quick and able to put up with injury. It is hard training with a lot of contact, sudden movement, and if you are female, smaller or older, you will still find youself paired in contact with some bigger, stronger, younger men. When they hit or kick you, you will feel it, and even adjusting and bracing for the blows can cause strain or injury.

This.

I was in discomfort after every class. Whether it was bleeding knuckles, or some sprain, it hurt.

I also agree about the being smaller part being a real challenge because they expect you to switch partners at random. I was often paired in drills with some very small people, but it was a good work out for them and it gave them the reality of facing someone my size.

I'd always seek out the biggest and youngest guy in the room for a partner so that we could really work hard on drills without either person getting too beat up.

toncapone1

Feb 12, 2013
    Maryland
    Roy Elghanayan, Israeli Special Forces top Krav Maga instructor has some amazing demo videos on youtube for anyone who wants to see it actually applied in a demonstration. For the right individuals it looks like it could be scarily effective lol.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Their LEO only policy always bothered me when I was out there, as if there were some secret ninja skills that if shown to civilians would result in the Rapture occurring.

It sort of permeated the entire place by the time I left, as if the non-LEOs were paying the bills, but they really only wanted to train professionals.

That being said, I learned a lot and I'm glad I paid the price in time and pain to do it.

Yeah, it's flat out dumb. OTOH, they DO offer handgun, long gun, and knife disarm classes to the public. It's not like they shroud these in secrecy.

Still, they want the money...so they made it a long process to get to the next level and learn more stuff.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yeah, it's flat out dumb. OTOH, they DO offer handgun, long gun, and knife disarm classes to the public. It's not like they shroud these in secrecy.

Still, they want the money...so they made it a long process to get to the next level and learn more stuff.

Sounds like you take krav classes? Do you agree that flexibility is vitally important? I am pretty strong (been working out hard for years) but not very flexible due to Anklosing Spondilitis (sp?). I'll watch some of online vids to make sure it's not past my ability, but I'd like my 2014 self improvement project to be to become reasonably proficient with krav.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Sounds like you take krav classes? Do you agree that flexibility is vitally important? I am pretty strong (been working out hard for years) but not very flexible due to Anklosing Spondilitis (sp?). I'll watch some of online vids to make sure it's not past my ability, but I'd like my 2014 self improvement project to be to become reasonably proficient with krav.

Yeah, but not as much anymore. I'm not that strong, and I'm not that flexible. You do stretches and warmups before the classes. It's designed to teach untrained Joe Schmoes how to fight in a short period of time with instinctive movements. Anyone can do it.

R1Peacock

Jan 8, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    I was taught Krav Maga 2-4 hours a day for about 12 weeks during my academy. The other 15 weeks were spent on law, firearms, driving training, etc. By far the Krav Maga and firearms training was the most fun.

Krav Maga will kick the crap out of you but it is well worth learning. Earlier this year my son came to me because he had a classmate that kept putting him in a headlock and teasing him. I spent about a half hour showing him how to get out of a headlock. Well luck would have it that the next day my son's classmate decided to try the headlock again. From what my son and others told me the techniques worked like a charm.

The techniques you will learn regardless if you take a disarming class or a basic self defense class are well worth your time and money. We were taught by Londale Theus - at one time he had some great training videos available for purchase and on YouTube - Check a few of them out.

RP

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Ignore krav maga, kenpo, tae kwon doe, and all that flashy BS. Gracie jiu jitsu with a good judo base will solve 99% of a your unarmed defense. No matter your size or sex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom