• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Yes I did krav maga, it was mandatory training. Some very useful things in it. However for an underweight female it is just not practical. Having competed alot in different martial arts, I found the two most practical to be the ones I mentioned. They are the hardest to obtain belts in, and are overall more practical for everyone. I came off strong, I didnt mean to sound like a dickhead. I should have added YMMV. Its been a long night. Sorry if I came off grumpy.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    Kraft Maga is great, but what you learn in the public class is not the same as true MIL/LEO training. I've done KM, Brazilian Ju-Jitzsu and of course MCMAP. I still do not want to get in a hand to hand fight with anyone. The Gracie trainng always scared me more than anything else, feeling your joints or bones about to pop is not a good feeling

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Yeah, it's flat out dumb. OTOH, they DO offer handgun, long gun, and knife disarm classes to the public. It's not like they shroud these in secrecy.

Still, they want the money...so they made it a long process to get to the next level and learn more stuff.

I found their level time periods to be exceedingly reasonable. There were plenty of people who came in after me that worked really hard and passed me on the levels. I just didn't have the time or the youthfulness to pass it off that fast. I was ready for the level three exam when I got hurt and decided it was unwise to continue.

Still, I would love to do some lower intensity review of the level 1 and 2 curriculum.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Yeah, but not as much anymore. I'm not that strong, and I'm not that flexible. You do stretches and warmups before the classes. It's designed to teach untrained Joe Schmoes how to fight in a short period of time with instinctive movements. Anyone can do it.

Thanks, I'm going to sign up for some classes in Columbia.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Sounds like you take krav classes? Do you agree that flexibility is vitally important? I am pretty strong (been working out hard for years) but not very flexible due to Anklosing Spondilitis (sp?). I'll watch some of online vids to make sure it's not past my ability, but I'd like my 2014 self improvement project to be to become reasonably proficient with krav.

While it is true that these Krav Maga classes are designed for any "Joe Schmoe" to do, like another poster said, I would seriously consider not signing up for it with your condition. It is not for everybody.

You don't become flexible with the stretches and warmups that you do before training at KM, you need to have some degree of flexibilty beforehand. With an arthritic condition in your back, I can think of few things worse for you than KM.

They will require you to sign up and agree to pay for six months. While you can get out of the contract by demonstrating a medical condition with a doctor's note, I would consider something less stressful than Krav. Just my 2 cents, but I would not like to see someone getting hurt or wasting their money.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    While it is true that these Krav Maga classes are designed for any "Joe Schmoe" to do, like another poster said, I would seriously consider not signing up for it with your condition. It is not for everybody.

You don't become flexible with the stretches and warmups that you do before training at KM, you need to have some degree of flexibilty beforehand. With an arthritic condition in your back, I can think of few things worse for you than KM.

They will require you to sign up and agree to pay for six months. While you can get out of the contract by demonstrating a medical condition with a doctor's note, I would consider something less stressful than Krav. Just my 2 cents, but I would not like to see someone getting hurt or wasting their money.

Ah, piss. Sounds like the good advice I should follow but did NOT want to hear...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    After taking MMA classes for about a year, I attended 3 half day Krav workshops that were open to the public. 90% of the attendees were already Krav students or instructors. One workshop was the firearms take away class; and honestly these are among the few drills I still occasionally practice. Was well worth my time and money to learn and drill those techniques for half a day.

I don't know many people who have taken Krav for a year or more that didn't get hurt; something to consider.

I believe if you have a training partner or small group and can train safely/regularly, you can learn virtually all of the Krav techniques adequately much faster than going through their 'levels' program; which is designed to pay the bills. However, you will get a structured program that will be challenging. I don't have enough experience with any martial disclipline to critique; so I do recommend you take their 'one free class offer', if they are still doing that. Check their schedule and see when the next special workshop is. I heard that long ago when they were struggling to get students, you could buy like 10 class passes for $100. This offer I would consider.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3Ignz0VLLwA?***********

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I found their level time periods to be exceedingly reasonable. There were plenty of people who came in after me that worked really hard and passed me on the levels. I just didn't have the time or the youthfulness to pass it off that fast. I was ready for the level three exam when I got hurt and decided it was unwise to continue.

Still, I would love to do some lower intensity review of the level 1 and 2 curriculum.

Reasonable time periods I supposed, but I don't think they fit with the Krav Maga idea of teaching untrained people as much information as fast as possible. I don't have the stamina to take these tests. Apparently it's not as bad now, but my friend took it back in the day when they had a 6 hour test full of cardio. He worked on his cardio every day for hours a day. No way could I survive that in my current condition. OTOH, I can do all of the skills perfectly. Sure I can complain about something that is MY fault (for not working on cardio), but I still don't think they should restrict things because of level. They should be teaching as much as possible in case you ever have to encounter a threat you were never trained on.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm with OLM-Medic on this, and I'm glad you are not banned 'yet' LOL.

Krav was designed to teach a typical soldier all of their techniques and instill in them a fight/survive spirit in just a few weeks.

Fast forward to paying rent on a studio facility in Columbia, and the only way your business is going to survive is a bu$ine$$-plan that expects every student to pay monthly for 3 years, hopefully more.

Its a simple matter of economics, they need to have a proportional number of level 4's and 5's, compared to 3's, and 2's, and recruits (1's); so each level test is appropriately provisioned.

I still think that if you could only train in one discipline, for a few months to a year, Krav is probably the best thing available. Just tape your knuckles, wear a mouth-piece and cup; you will learn a lot, but you will still get hurt. :)

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    tvblogshock.png

Only military and police should use Krav Maga.
    You're kidding right? Though weapons disarming is something that has to be practiced constantly. That's why police and military lead with their guns so they don't have too.

If you are big, strong, and male; it will probably work for you. Otherwise, if you are anywhere near Westminster, MD, I would check out Carroll County Kenpo Karate. Call Mike Guercio and see about setting a class for weapons disarms.
    I agree to a point. I had a small practice Krav maga class and it seems to me it always includes disarming almost as a start position. It is close brutal and very tiring. But it is your last best option when you're losing. I took TaiKwonDo and prefer the like forms that teach you to defend, strike from multiple angles and leaves you loose to swing on more than one target without getting in to a ground brawl.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Found a Krav Maga class (only for sworn LEOs and military, which is BS because I'd like to take it) about disarming armed assailants. I'm sure there are folks on here who could use use this training for their jobs.

Secondarily, I'm thinking of taking regular Krav Maga classes. Anyone have any positive or negative experience with it?

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f590414a7f4b786a06c4c16e8&id=da3d3eb29b&e=2f28e8e0ee

KravMD is a good group, my wife of 5'2" 110 pounds could easily drop me (5'11' 290) and just as daily get me off of her when on the ground. We both are level 2 students and had to stop because of scheduling conflicts, before testing to level 3.

There are several one day/two day classes through out the year for different things, including firearms defenses/take aways.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You don't have to be male or strong necessarily, but you do have to be flexible, quick and able to put up with injury. It is hard training with a lot of contact, sudden movement, and if you are female, smaller or older, you will still find youself paired in contact with some bigger, stronger, younger men. When they hit or kick you, you will feel it, and even adjusting and bracing for the blows can cause strain or injury.

My wife did it and was out after 3 sessions. Did for several months but ended up injured--chronic old bum hamstring stuff. I'm in good shape otherwise at 54, some military experience, former triathlete, but you really have to take those things into account. I would recommend it but it is not easy.

As far as non-active military, LEO attending the firearms disarm session, they have their reasons for limiting it, because it limits the effective training for fitter experienced people to train with others who are not so fit or fast, and/or don't know what they are doing. There are some very experienced, tough people who train there.

In all of the classes I was in, when I was paired with a smaller person (female or not) I was instructed to power down to 50% - 60 % and work on technique. I never put a smaller person on the mat not hurt them, and being bigger, I gave them a chance to work with someone bigger and was instructed to work up to full power when being an aggressor on various defenses with smaller partners.

Firearm and knife take aways are a level 3 skill and get taught to level 3 students and on occasion are taught in the level 2 classes in Columbia. They are not strictly for military/LEO/etc.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    That last one is super important. She frequently came back really busted up, and I know she delivered the same to some of her sparring partners.

This...If my wife got hit by someone that was supposed to be going half power, she would go off on them for screwing up.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd like to find a new place that teaches it. I'm getting sick of doing it because of their annoying level system, which in my opinion really defeats the point of KM being a fighting system to be taught as fast as possible. Money prevails though...

The level system is nationwide (worldwide), be it level numbers or belts. To be an accredited KM studio, they have to follow the plan as taught from KM America, which in turn gets it training from KM Worldwide (Israel).

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sounds like you take krav classes? Do you agree that flexibility is vitally important? I am pretty strong (been working out hard for years) but not very flexible due to Anklosing Spondilitis (sp?). I'll watch some of online vids to make sure it's not past my ability, but I'd like my 2014 self improvement project to be to become reasonably proficient with krav.

KM is basic punches, front kicks, knees and elbows, with plucks thrown in to get out of holds.

Not much flexibility needed per se, but more agility for some stuff. For Level 1, agility and stamina, once you get to level 2 and level 3, then a little more flexibility with side kicks, donkey and rear kicks and kicks to the chest for both offensive and defensive action.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

I would too, as going throughout motions with a heavy bag isn't the same as having a person do the chokes and head locks, etc to get out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom