• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    While that may be the case, doesn't introducing new information at this juncture cause the panel to take that into account thereby delaying their decision?

I am not sure I would categorize the ruling as new information. It is conceptually very similar to Heller II, Friedman, and the original Kolbe ruling. It is unlikely to have much of an impact on the 4th circuit because of this.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Are you implying their minds are already made up?:innocent0

sure The psnel voted on the day of the argument The opinion was then assigned Not final of course until opinion is released and judges can and do change their minds while opinions are being drafted

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Always is. The longer Woollard drug on, the more obvious it became we (he) was getting the shaft.

Woollard was decided in less than five months. We've already passed the seven month mark for this. I'm pretty sure Chief Judge Traxler is writing the opinion, and his opinions over the last few years average like 4.5 months. I'd figure it took 5-6 months here due to the seriousness and complexity of the case, and now we're waiting on King to dissent. That's probably the hold up. King was on the Woollard panel and we know how that went. I could be entirely off base, but that's my prediction based on history, the makeup of the panel, and oral arguments.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Maybe O'Mao's presidential aspirations have something to do with the timing. Could help or hurt his chances. If a win for him, could double and put him into single digits instead of fractional...

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Woollard was decided in less than five months. We've already passed the seven month mark for this. I'm pretty sure Chief Judge Traxler is writing the opinion, and his opinions over the last few years average like 4.5 months. I'd figure it took 5-6 months here due to the seriousness and complexity of the case, and now we're waiting on King to dissent. That's probably the hold up. King was on the Woollard panel and we know how that went. I could be entirely off base, but that's my prediction based on history, the makeup of the panel, and oral arguments.

I was speaking more about the entirety, the stay and appeal.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

This was my guess too.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    So sounds like we probably lost this round?

no, we were speculating that the judge that has written pro 2A opinions in the past, is or has taken his time to write a good opinion that favors us, and the lone judge that has been anti 2A in the past is dragging his feet on the dissent.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    this might be the last round if SCOTUS isn't interested in granting CERT.

If the 4th Circuit rules in the plaintiffs' favor, then there will be a split of authority among the circuits making it much more likely that SCOTUS would agree to grant cert if/when Maryland appeals the decision. I think that it's inevitable that the SCOTUS will hear this kind of case - it's just a question of finding the right case. I really do wish that it would issue a clear and broad opinion on the meaning of the 2nd Amendment so that we can stop wasting so much time and money on this issue. Either we have an inalienable right to keep and bear arms in common use or we don't.

The problem, of course, is that the SCOTUS is very choosy about the cases that it takes. Generally, the "right" cases have to present really important legal issues and the facts of the case have to frame those issues in just the right way. Basically, you need a perfect storm. I'm sure that one of the reasons the court hasn't taken up this issue is the fact that what's "commonly owned for lawful purposes" is constantly changing. How do you define that concept? I think it's clear from the oral arguments that the 4th Circuit struggled with this issue. Also, an opinion is only as good as the laws in effect today. Right now, we're dealing with the prohibition of a certain number of "assault rifles" identified by Maryland's General Assembly. That law could be amended next session to add additional prohibited firearms, and then the question is, okay, well do these new firearms fall within the scope of the SCOTUS' opinion or not? The problem with this case is that there is no home run issue that clears the deck. It's unfortunate that the people running our government no longer see firearms as an important part of our history.

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton
    Maybe O'Mao's presidential aspirations have something to do with the timing. Could help or hurt his chances. If a win for him, could double and put him into single digits instead of fractional...

I like this thought... Going to hurt MOM's chances so they will wait till he's done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom