• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    Usually controversial opinions take the longest. They could be ready to rule in our favor and afraid to, or they could be looking for a mass shooting to release an opinion against us and use it as cover.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I winced when I read this the first time, and just shook my head when I read it again. What a sad state of affairs we live in when we know another incident is always around the corner.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I winced when I read this the first time, and just shook my head when I read it again. What a sad state of affairs we live in when we know another incident is always around the corner.

It's a big country and rare events are going to happen all the time, good and bad. I like to show people Bell curve diagrams and remind them that not only are the events at the tiny, whisp of the ends of the curve a normal part of the curve, they are to be expected too.

srephwed

Jul 25, 2010
    harford county
    I wish I was smart enough to look up how many people die in the USA in a day by other means than a gun. On the internet today they state that 90 people per day are killed by guns in our country. We have 50 states with a lot of Baltimore like homicide rates. 90 sounded pretty low to me. Add up people killed my sharp edges, baseball bats, vehicular homicide, and how about those just beat to death? If there was some way to get the retards in the media to actually look at those numbers maybe it would --------- NAH!!!!!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I wish I was smart enough to look up how many people die in the USA in a day by other means than a gun. On the internet today they state that 90 people per day are killed by guns in our country. We have 50 states with a lot of Baltimore like homicide rates. 90 sounded pretty low to me. Add up people killed my sharp edges, baseball bats, vehicular homicide, and how about those just beat to death? If there was some way to get the retards in the media to actually look at those numbers maybe it would --------- NAH!!!!!

John Lott presents those numbers to them over and over. Facts do not matter in an emotional arguement.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Those numbers are available from the FBI:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...able_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2009-2013.xls

There are numbers on the FBI website that are state specific and broken down in the same fashion.

I used the numbers in my written opposition to SB281/FSA2013 to show that more people are killed by bats, knives, fists, etc. than long guns, so an assault weapons ban was unwarranted. Believe it was less than 10 people a year killed in Maryland with a long gun, which included shotguns and rifles, and assault weapons are a subset of long guns, so probably less than 10 people a year are killed in Maryland with assault weapons, Hence, banning them did not make statistical sense.

You can see how well that argument went, assuming the Maryland legislators actually read what I wrote.

Seems as though firearms and the 2nd Amendment are a hot topic right now. Not only did the entire last issue of the Maryland Bar Journal address the issue, but so did the most recent issue of the Washington Lawyer, which is the DC equivalent to the Maryland Bar Journal.

cechk01

Oct 2, 2015
    PRMD
    looks like Supreme court is deciding if to consider Friedman vs. City of Highland Park(similar Chicago AWB) we should hear next week if they decide to take the appeal or not

Last edited:

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

There is a link in post 726 of this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=181790&page=37

The graph from that link is included in the above post in that thread.
    guns_terrorism_final-932x579.jpeg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Isn't this like about six plus months from hearing? What do these people ponder on so long?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You know I sometimes think the achilles heel of these arguements is this.

When I hear people talk about how cars kill more people, or smoking kills more people, etc. What do these things all have in common?

We try to reduce car deaths through car safety programs, we try to reduce smoking deaths by smoking education. For most of the things we say kill more than guns, we have programs and systems and research in place to try to reduce those deaths.

When you talk about reducing gun deaths through safety, or education, or potential restrictions, some people have a meltdown. Now, granted, none of the above things that are compared to guns are constitutional rights but it is something to consider as a counter argument.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

When I hear people talk about how cars kill more people, or smoking kills more people, etc. What do these things all have in common?

We try to reduce car deaths through car safety programs, we try to reduce smoking deaths by smoking education. For most of the things we say kill more than guns, we have programs and systems and research in place to try to reduce those deaths.

When you talk about reducing gun deaths through safety, or education, or potential restrictions, some people have a meltdown. Now, granted, none of the above things that are compared to guns are constitutional rights but it is something to consider as a counter argument.

You are also over looking funding streams. Cars and tobacco generate crazy amounts of tax money.

Pittman-Robertson's 29 words keep the government from spending the 10% excise tax on guns and ammunition on anything besides conservation and the preservation of the shooting sports.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013

Most people are concerned with murder more so than suicides, and murder isn't a question of safety because it is intentional destruction. People generally don't drive cars or smoke in order to kill other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom