• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Shitty steel LOL.

1095 is Not shitty steel . ( Assuming actual K Bar or equally Authentic Camillius , not generic kbar shaped object for $10 at flea market )

Old School , not rust resistant , but time tested combination of hardness , toughness , edge holding , and ease of sharpening .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    My thoughts:

The KaBar is an iconic mass produced fighting knife. The steel (1095) is just fine with the right heat treat. The stacked leather grip feels better in the hand than even some modern designs and materials.

That said: The heat treat on KaBar is either non-existent or rudimentary, and they don't hold an edge well. They are easy to field sharpen, and take a keen edge, but lose it quickly. The construction, fit, and finish is usually sub-par, and the blade design, while excellent for a fighting knife, struggles with what most knives are used for: utilitarian tasks.

The design has been eclipsed by more modern designs and steels like the Ontario RAT-7 D2, The Hogue EX-F01 A2 fixed blade, The Spyderco Rock Salt, Some of the Tops designs, or anything from Busse or Swamprat.

The balance of a KaBar is indicative of its purpose. A neutral, slightly pommel heavy balance for fast handling, typical of a fighting knife. The balance, finger guard, and clip point make it excellent for fast stabbing, the long, uninterrupted edge make it decent for slicing but is let down by poor edge retention. For chopping, hacking or batoning it is poor.

Bottom line, as a weapon it is pretty good. As a tool it is pretty poor.

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    1095 is Not shitty steel . ( Assuming actual K Bar or equally Authentic Camillius , not generic kbar shaped object for $10 at flea market )

Old School , not rust resistant , but time tested combination of hardness , toughness , edge holding , and ease of sharpening .
    Thanks for the metallurgical lesson. Its nearly the same steel used in M1903 manufacture prior to the nickel steel receivers as far as I know.
    Both types are used for levers bolts studs rebar etc and are dependent on heat treating for hardness not unlike other iron based metallic alloyed metals used to manufacture tool's implements and of course 1903 single heat treat receivers.
    I dont know much about flea market knives or equally authentic facsimiles becuase I dont own any.
    A knife that cant be readily sharpened in the field, isn't worth owning IMO.

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    My father’s kbar survived Korea but almost didn’t survive my hippie brother. After Dad passed I found it in my brothers tool box, was using it as a gasket scraper. I took it cleaned it up and he has never mentioned it.
    It will go to my son… most precious knives in my collection.
    A4175C87-9ED9-4DD1-8291-863F98643319.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My father’s kbar survived Korea but almost didn’t survive my hippie brother. After Dad passed I found it in my brothers tool box, was using it as a gasket scraper. I took it cleaned it up and he has never mentioned it.
    It will go to my son… most precious knives in my collection. View attachment 429411
    Awesome!

Glad you got them and are going to pass them down.

I have a twin to the bayonet you do, from my grandfather's things same era. Had to do some rust removal (grandmother didn't know it was in the box with other things/decorations). It may be a mass produced knife but I will keep it anyway.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I still sometimes attach the bayonet to my m1 carbine as my father did in Korea.
    Much respect.

I don't have an m1 carbine to do.that with. I do keep the bayonet at a 20degree edge that you can shave with. Pointless, I know, but it seems right.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Much respect.

I don't have an m1 carbine to do.that with. I do keep the bayonet at a 20degree edge that you can shave with. Pointless, I know, but it seems right.
    The point is that little sharp bit right at the end.

Finn

waiting for the zombies
    Feb 28, 2009
    Columbia
    I have had mine for years... been a great camp/truck knife. I have blades that hold their edge longer under use and I have blades that look cooler.
    The KABAR is a great tool to have around and never disappoints and so far has never let me down. When my father passes I will get both his and PopPop's KARBARs as well.

PXL_20230904_153252308~2.jpg
    PXL_20230904_153338113~2.jpg
    PXL_20230904_153344896~2.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A nice bit of 80s knife nostalgia. I found four new old stock Edgeco OTF kits 4-5 years ago at a gun show for $20 each. Only three of them survived assembly. One literally fell apart in my hands putting the blade in. Lol
    They are pieces of time. The "greaser" era. I love mine. I skun a deer with it once. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just have to be careful to clean the blade completely before retracting , so as to not gum up the knifes internals

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom