• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I really love my Ka-Bar knife. Love it so much in fact, I just bought another one this time a special edition one from their State & Union Shop (see below). Lot's of self proclaimed knife efficiados crush my soul by craping all over my beloved Ka-Bar saying it wont hold up, it is shitty steel, its for show, not a real knife, etc.. etc... etc... I've used my Ka-Bar hard since 1993 when I bought it from the main exchange on Fairchild Airforce Base. I just have nothing but good things to say, it cuts, it will kill and does everything I need it to do around the camp. Anyway, please share your thoughts and the image below was my most recent purchase which is due to arrive tomorrow.

6417-red-spacer-hero-1228.jpg

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Dad had one from WWII. He was a gunner and later an enlisted pilot. I remember it always being around the toolbox when I was growing up. Recently I’ve wondered what ever happened to it, gone forever I suppose

G Rose

MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2023
    Berlin MD
    I really love my Ka-Bar knife. Love it so much in fact, I just bought another one this time a special edition one from their State & Union Shop (see below). Lot's of self proclaimed knife efficiados crush my soul by craping all over my beloved Ka-Bar saying it wont hold up, it is shitty steel, its for show, not a real knife, etc.. etc... etc... I've used my Ka-Bar hard since 1993 when I bought it from the main exchange on Fairchild Airforce Base. I just have nothing but good things to say, it cuts, it will kill and does everything I need it to do around the camp. Anyway, please share your thoughts and the image below was my most recent purchase which is due to arrive tomorrow.

had an issue one in the sixties, great piece, brought one when discharged, never failed me. Good knife

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Anyone who collects something will eventually gravitate toward the highest end of that product that they can afford. They will then crap all over anything lesser. Knife people are just as bad as car/ gun/ computer/ stereo/ liquor people.

Yes, there are better knives out there. You've been using yours since 1993. Sounds like it's working fine.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Every America loving American should own a pig sticker of this caliber...

unnamed.jpg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Nothing wrong with them. I own two.

Do I own nicer knives? Yes. Is a ka bar my favorite? No. Is it a good, tough, knife that will do any reasonable reasonable task asked of it? Absolutely.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I have a nice old one I picked up some time ago. WWII era.
    If I ever have to gouge out a car door or do something bad on purpose with a knife its what I'm going to use.
    Even the staples in the sheath could be hazardous when correctly applied I think.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Though a classic, I wouldn't mind seeing the K-bar brought into the 21st century.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.

The K bar was designed and used for one main specific purpose and From what I’ve seen it served its purpose well. Two bad it cannot be affixed to the infantry man’s rifle anymore. When your ammo is out and the only thing you had when things became up close and personal this tool did it’s job well.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    They’re fine for regular knife things and if you don’t do the bushcraft things that are known to make them fail. I still use the Ontario 498 I bought brand new in 2009. I did have to sharpen it a lot more frequently when cutting dirt infused ropes when compared to fancy modern steels.

1693566963777.png

In what manner?
    I guess not really a 21st century improvement, but improvements none the less. I like a double hilt, a pommel, and a lanyard attachment.
    The Ka-Bar brand offers one made in D2 with a lanyard loop. It also doesn’t use leather washers for the handle.

The biggest other complaint people have is the full tang not being heavily constructed, which could also be easily fixed of the manufacture wanted to.

The K bar was designed and used for one main specific purpose and From what I’ve seen it served its purpose well. Two bad it cannot be affixed to the infantry man’s rifle anymore. When your ammo is out and the only thing you had when things became up close and personal this tool did it’s job well.
    OKC-3S bayonet is still made if that’s what you’re talking about.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i had a kabar marlin spike knife. very sharp and held its edge. very smooth open and close. unfortunately lost it years later while camping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom