Baltimore County
    Overflow room.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364574379243.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1364574379243.jpg
      27.2 KB · Views: 535

Fett

Feb 19, 2012
    Can someone with a little more understanding of the political process explain to me why a house committee is voting on a senate bill? What happened to HB294?

My understanding is that HB294 was pushed to the side and the House took on SB281. It's in committee in the house right now where they can and probably will amend the bill. It can then be voted down in the committee or voted out of committee (bad) and sent to the floor where I believe they go through 3 readings and eventually voted on it. If the bill is passed and ends up being drastically different than the one the senate passed then they have the reconcile the differences.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Can someone with a little more understanding of the political process explain to me why a house committee is voting on a senate bill? What happened to HB294?

The house bill was dumped in favor of the senate bill. Now they are amending the senate bill.

Tim Montoya
    Long and Foster Real Estate, Inc
    443-463-3592 cell
    www.allhomes4me.com

Fett

Feb 19, 2012
    My understanding is that HB294 was pushed to the side and the House took on SB281.

I....don't understand. Isn't it the entire point of having a house, and a senate that they have to pass their own bills than reconcile any differences? Isn't it....against the law for the house to just "take up" the senate bill without it being introduced and go through the process of being a house bill? Are they just conveniently skipping that whole process in the house right now?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I....don't understand. Isn't it the entire point of having a house, and a senate that they have to pass their own bills than reconcile any differences? Isn't it....against the law for the house to just "take up" the senate bill without it being introduced and go through the process of being a house bill? Are they just conveniently skipping that whole process in the house right now?

Senate passed their bill with amendments, earlier this month. The House Joint Committee decided to take up the Senate bill since they added amendments and add additional amendments to it in hopes of having less work to do in conference committee. Perfectly legal and legit, but it is still going to be a major issue for the Senate and conference committee will be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom