• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    And who has the hammer?
    Both subjects..... about face for hammer check!

And to rob, I am not in any way suggesting that a shooter speak to police beyond identification and the assertion that the assailant was the aggressor. Any competent criminal defense attorney will (hopefully) be versed in these matters but SME witnesses on stand (for either side) will likely be using Graham or a similar analysis framework when they respond. It behooves the aspiring carrier to at least learn the rudiments of a use of force continuum as a tool for analyzing their own "what ifs" and those presented by their peers.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Remember, police have a “cooling off” period in which their IA can’t even get statements so they have an opportunity to “process” a shooting. They never give you the same time. Investigators are well trained to get you talking.

I like the advice here:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    He made a furtive gesture, I was in fear for my life, I shot him until I no longer sensed a threat to my life and family. I want to talk to my lawyer.

That about right?
    A furtive movement is not a MEANS of deadly force. Furtive movement reaching for a weapon, sure.
    Raising your hand real fast to scratch your forehead can be a furtive movement.

What did he do or have that is deadly? You need to satisfy that.
    You need.....

MEANS - A deadly weapon, something physically lethal that can cause death or serious bodily injury.

OPPORTUNITY - Typically this is proximity to you. How close? How far away? 100 yards away with a knife or bat is a no go. 3 yards? Different story.

INTENT - Did he project his intention with the lethal threat? " I am fcking going to kill you!" Something to that affect. Or run towards you with a weapon.

But people will simply say that being inside the house without any of those things is good enough to kill someone. They make up all kinds of what if excuses because Maryland's version of the "Castle Doctrine".

Me personally, If I am already drawn on someone, I need to see a weapon. I already have the drop on them, so my training and ability allows me that scenario.

YMMV

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Noticing a lot of, "Is it legal to shoot someone ....?" postings since the SCOTUS ruling.

Just remember, in Maryland, you had better be under a real threat if you "defend" yourself using a firearm.

Target identification and what lies beyond it are critical before firing whenever using a firearm.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    He made a furtive gesture, I was in fear for my life, I shot him until I no longer sensed a threat to my life and family. I want to talk to my lawyer.

That about right?
    Nope. The only reply to what happened is, I am too upset to talk right now, and I would like to confer with my lawyer, before making a statement. Thank you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Noticing a lot of, "Is it legal to shoot someone ....?" postings since the SCOTUS ruling.

Just remember, in Maryland, you had better be under a real threat if you "defend" yourself using a firearm.

Target identification and what lies beyond it are critical before firing whenever using a firearm.
    Depends.
    I'm sorry. But if you were standing directly behind someone pointing a gun at me, I'm shooting them.
    Re-think that whole "rules of firearm safety" crap when talking about self defense.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Depends.
    I'm sorry. But if you were standing directly behind someone pointing a gun at me, I'm shooting them.
    Re-think that whole "rules of firearm safety" crap when talking about self defense.
    It’s for the greater good.

urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021
    He said it was an intruder, not just someone standing there.

There was an incident a year or two ago, I think it was in Woodbine... a drunk individual was trying to return to his friends' house. He beat on a neighboring door repeatedly, yelling incoherently, possibly including threats like "I'm gonna kick your ..." because he thought he was being f-ed with by his friends.

The homeowner shot him through the door because he thought he was about to break through. Homeowner was not charged.
    A DA speaking to a self-defense class indicated through an anecdote that firing a warning shot through a door when unable to see the attacker is appropriate

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    A DA speaking to a self-defense class indicated through an anecdote that firing a warning shot through a door when unable to see the attacker is appropriate
    That advice is going to land someone in prison. "Know your target and what's behind it" is one of the core firearms handling rules. Shooting blindly through a door is a good way to risk hitting an innocent. Plus, there's the whole 'immediacy of the threat' issue if the attacker-to-be is still on the other side of a closed door. It's hard to imagine a legally defendable self defense case where the trigger was pulled without line of sight to the intended target.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom