• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the great responses fellow shooters. I have loved this site since I've joined. Your offers for advice and instruction are so appreciated and I feel like I'm part of a great group of gents. I want to hook up with you guys for a good time and for me to learn. As soon as I check in with the "boss", I'll see when I can get to the range. She works nights and I work during the day, so the communication is lacking some of the time.

After the suggestion from CircleShooter about shotguns for this sport, I of course, had to look up reviews on the Remington 1100. Crap, it's the internet, and now I'm more confused then ever. It's good, it's bad, they're going out of business, different chokes, stick with the old version and not the new synthecic one, one is for skeet, not trap, etc. Info overload.

I'm no stranger to shotguns as I have for many years shot riot or tactical versions. It appears that clay shooting is a whole new world and wish to explore it.

Again, thanks guys.

Last edited:

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    2A, run,run, run away if you value your bank accounts,your family and your sanity, nothing gets in your blood like clay sports. You will drain your bank accounts, get a third mortgage,anything to get a cheap shiny medal at a shoot.
    Seriously, lots of folks here will be happy to show you the ropes, I would not mind meeting up with you and Blackthorne at PG next week, Weds or Thurs works for me. Don't worry about guns, I'm sure between others and I we can come up with something to shoot,in my case it might be 100 years old but will still work fine.

Yes, I hear ya. My breif research today on this subject kinda gave me the idea that it's not a cheap hobby.

Maybe some savings will come from not spending money on shooting tons of handgun ammo at an indoor range on a regular basis. ...Yeah, ...maybe, ...if I have that discipline.:rolleyes:

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Mayberry GPA (Carroll Count) has a sporting clays course and 5 stand open to the public the first sunday of each month. The 5 stand is also open to the public every Tuesday evening 6-9. Littlestown, Pa. has a sporting clays course the first and third Saturday of each month.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I see on Loch Raven's website that they offer classes as well. Has anyone ever taken them?

LRSTC offers an adult intro to skeet course as well as a youth course. The courses are very popular and fill up fast. They're $30 which includes the intro class, targets, shells, and use of a gun if you need one. I'm one of the volunteer indtructors.

Here's the site link:

http://www.lochravenskeettrap.com/introcourse.php

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I see on Loch Raven's website that they offer classes as well. Has anyone ever taken them?

I took one of their first ones in the early spring. Never having shot skeet before (only sporting clays), it was a good introduction. Basically gave the recommended leads and tips on how to shoot at each position. They told me if I went back to another class, they'd match you up with a group that already learned the basics and build on what the first class covered (haven't had a chance to attend another though). I think it's a great value.

Now that I have an idea of what to do at each position, my biggest problem is remembering the order that the game goes in :o

If you ask in the clubhouse they'll have one of " the boys" go down with you and pull targets.

Ah, thanks.

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I took one of their first ones in the early spring. Never having shot skeet before (only sporting clays), it was a good introduction. Basically gave the recommended leads and tips on how to shoot at each position. They told me if I went back to another class, they'd match you up with a group that already learned the basics and build on what the first class covered (haven't had a chance to attend another though). I think it's a great value.

Now that I have an idea of what to do at each position, my biggest problem is remembering the order that the game goes in :o

Ah, thanks.

Good to hear. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while...now if I could just talk the girlfriend into trying it :)

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Yes, I hear ya. My breif research today on this subject kinda gave me the idea that it's not a cheap hobby.

Maybe some savings will come from not spending money on shooting tons of handgun ammo at an indoor range on a regular basis. ...Yeah, ...maybe, ...if I have that discipline.:rolleyes:

Nope. Not cheap. What shooting sport is? But the price of 50 .45 ACP's buys 125 12 gauge shells. It's all relative.

The best advice is to try some gun rentals. But I'll say that you can't go wrong with a Beretta 391. Great shotgun that'll last a lifetime. You can find decent deals on used ones.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Good to hear. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while...now if I could just talk the girlfriend into trying it :)

Ok, time for a shameless plug....

A great way to get your girlfriend to try clay shooting would be to come to our "Clays Against Cancer" event on the weekend of October 6th & 7th. It's our 2nd. Annual event to raise money for breast cancer treatment and awareness. It was a great time last year. I know several MDS members came out to shoot. In fact it's where I met JMintzer and we've shot together since.

Here's the thread: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=84693

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    After the suggestion from CircleShooter about shotguns for this sport, I of course, had to look up reviews on the Remington 1100. Crap, it's the internet, and now I'm more confused then ever. It's good, it's bad, they're going out of business, different chokes, stick with the old version and not the new synthecic one, one is for skeet, not trap, etc. Info overload.

I'm no stranger to shotguns as i have for many years shot riot or tactical versions. It appears that clay shooting is a whole new world and wish to explore it.

Again, thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully a little help here. I haven't shot trap in a long time. Loch Raven used to rent guns, then they stopped, now apparently they do again. Go give it a try and learn the ropes and why what guns are for what. Take Circleshooter up on his offer, he seems to be really into it. As far as Remingtons don't let the snobs sway you, they are fine guns. I have or had Berettas( 20,12 and 20 O/U), a Benelli Super Sport and a couple of Remingtons. I couldn't hit crap with my Beretta Trap, but I grew up on field guns so my fault. For me, my best shooting trap gun is still my 1978 model 870 Wingmaster 30" fixed FC but I don't recommend a pump. You can find a lot of used Rem. 1100's or 11-87's out there for not a lot of money. The Gun Shop in Essex just had a really clean 1100 Premier which I kick myself for not buying, so look around. The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury usually has a few. Just be sure to get one with changeable choke tubes. You can always buy shorter or longer barrels to suit your needs if you get a semi auto. If money is no object, go to Barts Sports World and have at it. I guess the purists like O/U's. I've had guys bitch at me at Loch Raven for my shells ejecting and bothering them, like they were in some big competiton or something. One thing I think you need to keep in mind is that a shotgun is a lot like a baseball glove, it's only as good as the person behind it. Or maybe more like golf clubs. Hell there are people with more money than brains who are constantly trying to buy targets. By this I mean they buy and then trade in a new gun every week looking for magic, when it's them that suck. So that 15K Lujetik (sp) will do nothing for them. Don't get a super cheapo from Dicks though. A Rem is a good starting point price wise, then you can go to Browning or Beretta and then the sky's the limit. You'll always be able to sell a decent gun if you want to move up. I haven't been out because of back surgeries but this thread is making me want to take another try at it. Go for it and enjoy yourself. It's addicting though. Ah, the good old days of $4 for a box of AAs are long gone.
    PS-I still suck at it but enjoy the heck out of it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    DO IT! I shoot clays at Loch Raven and it's a blast. Nice change from pounding paper. Although there are many more talented than me, I was once decent at wobble. I averaged 22/25. Now, I don't wanna talk about it.....I need work BAD.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    JMintzer said:
    That was fun, wasn't to? I'm probably going this Saturday, and possibley Monday, as well...

I'm there when they open, at 10 am...

Jamie

I'm on call this weekend, unfortunately. Next weekend is out, too. I'll try to catch up with you guys in September sometime. I have been itching to go since the last time, I had a ball.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    How does the 5-stand work? I was there a couple Sundays ago and nobody was on that end...I walked down there and it looks like you need the staff there to run it?

You need to get the controller from Vince at the main office. It takes two or more people to shoot 5-stand. One launches the bird with the controller while another shoots.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

I'm no stranger to shotguns as i have for many years shot riot or tactical versions. It appears that clay shooting is a whole new world and wish to explore it.

Again, thanks guys.

Hopefully a little help here. I haven't shot trap in a long time. Loch Raven used to rent guns, then they stopped, now apparently they do again. Go give it a try and learn the ropes and why what guns are for what. Take Circleshooter up on his offer, he seems to be really into it. As far as Remingtons don't let the snobs sway you, they are fine guns. I have or had Berettas( 20,12 and 20 O/U), a Benelli Super Sport and a couple of Remingtons. I couldn't hit crap with my Beretta Trap, but I grew up on field guns so my fault. For me, my best shooting trap gun is still my 1978 model 870 Wingmaster 30" fixed FC but I don't recommend a pump. You can find a lot of used Rem. 1100's or 11-87's out there for not a lot of money. The Gun Shop in Essex just had a really clean 1100 Premier which I kick myself for not buying, so look around. The Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury usually has a few. Just be sure to get one with changeable choke tubes. You can always buy shorter or longer barrels to suit your needs if you get a semi auto. If money is no object, go to Barts Sports World and have at it. I guess the purists like O/U's. I've had guys bitch at me at Loch Raven for my shells ejecting and bothering them, like they were in some big competiton or something. One thing I think you need to keep in mind is that a shotgun is a lot like a baseball glove, it's only as good as the person behind it. Or maybe more like golf clubs. Hell there are people with more money than brains who are constantly trying to buy targets. By this I mean they buy and then trade in a new gun every week looking for magic, when it's them that suck. So that 15K Lujetik (sp) will do nothing for them. Don't get a super cheapo from Dicks though. A Rem is a good starting point price wise, then you can go to Browning or Beretta and then the sky's the limit. You'll always be able to sell a decent gun if you want to move up. I haven't been out because of back surgeries but this thread is making me want to take another try at it. Go for it and enjoy yourself. It's addicting though. Ah, the good old days of $4 for a box of AAs are long gone.
    PS-I still suck at it but enjoy the heck out of it.

A simple shell catcher for your semi-auto will take care of your shells flying out of the gun. Even a rubber band will work. With Skeet and 5-stand it's not a problem as no one is standing next to you. However, for trap it is disconcerting to be standing there and to get pelted with someone elses shells.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Yep, I'm there a lot and shot with and helped (maybe) a few MDS shooters last week. PM me.
    Only down side was that one of the guys tried my Guerini and was smitten.

ps: I believe 5-stand is only available Thur, Sat, and Sun.
    Trap (wobble) is better anyway:)

Alan, I wasn't smitten, I was gobsmacked.

That gun is NICE.

Smoked the two pigeons I fired at, I had never handled the shotgun before.

Never shot sporting clays or five stand, would like to try some day but I am happy still learning trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom