• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I have always wanted to, but never taken the plunge. I'm just getting tired of putting holes in paper.

Do such facilities rent shotguns or do I need to purchase one first? The only shotguns I've ever fired are riot guns. I wouldn't have a clue what to buy.

Also, are there any places to do this in Baltimore County?

Any advice would be appreciated.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    BTW, has Pintail Point closed its doors yet?
    Nevermind....

2012 SPORTING CLAYS- OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Range Hours: Monday & Tuesday - Reserved for Corporate; Wednesday - Saturday 9 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 9am - 1 pm

Yes we were sold to new ownership but we are open and operating business as usual.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Maybe you can hook up with one of the forum regulars that shoots at Loch Raven and shoot a couple rounds of skeet with them. This will allow you to acclimate yourself to the range and its procedures in a structured and predictable format. After that walk down the line and watch a round of 5-stand before giving it a whirl.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    BTW, has Pintail Point closed its doors yet?
    Nevermind....

2012 SPORTING CLAYS- OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Range Hours: Monday & Tuesday - Reserved for Corporate; Wednesday - Saturday 9 am - 3:30 pm; Sunday 9am - 1 pm

Yes we were sold to new ownership but we are open and operating business as usual.

Still open. It was the golf course that went bankrupt. But Pintail is still having financial problems...

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    2A,

I would be happy to meet you at the PG facility and show you the ropes. No need to rent a gun, as you can borrow one from me. I'm off Labor Day week and weather permitting could probably shoot on the 5th or 6th.

If you are new to clay targets, I would recommend Skeet or Trap first as a prelude to Sporting Clays, but it's fine with me either way. Sporting is a lot more fun and more of a challenge.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    2A,

I would be happy to meet you at the PG facility and show you the ropes. No need to rent a gun, as you can borrow one from me. I'm off Labor Day week and weather permitting could probably shoot on the 5th or 6th.

If you are new to clay targets, I would recommend Skeet or Trap first as a prelude to Sporting Clays, but it's fine with me either way. Sporting is a lot more fun and more of a challenge.

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. I'll have to see first what is "planned" for me, if you know what I mean.;)

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Still open. It was the golf course that went bankrupt. But Pintail is still having financial problems...

Pintail Point is alive and well and now has no financial burden. Pintail Point was sold and the new owner reportedly has deep pockets and is/will be operating it as the great facility it has been known for.

The Golf Course was sold at auction to the Chinese Embasy for about ten cents on the dollar. I think the farm and yatch businesses are still for sale, but I'm not really sure about that outside of rumors. The former owner's money came from the numerous auto dealerships he owned until Obamanomics forced the closure of several of them and the cash flow was cut off.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I have always wanted to, but never taken the plunge. I'm just getting tired of putting holes in paper.

Do such facilities rent shotguns or do I need to purchase one first? The only shotguns I've ever fired are riot guns. I wouldn't have a clue what to buy.

Also, are there any places to do this in Baltimore County?

Any advice would be appreciated.

As I said in the pm, Loch Raven does rent Beretta and Benellli semi-auto shotguns for $10 a day.

Most new shooters generally start with trap first. I don't know exactly why other than the shots are all going away from you and don't have the leads required for skeet and sporting clays shots. Its a good way to get in to shooting at moving targets.

I know that I, and I'm sure other members here that shoot at Loch Raven, would be happy to meet up with you and give you some pointers - and let you try out their guns. That's what friends did for me when I started out a few years ago and I like to pass than on when I can. Just ask Jamie...apparently I've cost him a fortune that, for some reason, he won't let me live down. :innocent0

I will tell you from my own experience, though....once I started shooting at moving targets I lost interest in shooting at paper circles.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    As I said in the pm, Loch Raven does rent Beretta and Benellli semi-auto shotguns for $10 a day.

Most new shooters generally start with trap first. I don't know exactly why other than the shots are all going away from you and don't have the leads required for skeet and sporting clays shots. Its a good way to get in to shooting at moving targets.

I know that I, and I'm sure other members here that shoot at Loch Raven, would be happy to meet up with you and give you some pointers - and let you try out their guns. That's what friends did for me when I started out a few years ago and I like to pass than on when I can. Just ask Jamie...apparently I've cost him a fortune that, for some reason, he won't let me live down. :innocent0

I will tell you from my own experience, though....once I started shooting at moving targets I lost interest in shooting at paper circles.

I have a feeling that will be the case with me as well. It looks like fun.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Cool. Do you go there, or were you just naming a location close to me.

It's only 12 miles away from me.

Oh...Loch Raven has trap, skeet, wobble trap, and 5-stand shooting games. You can get a pretty good idea of what all the shot types can be in a place pretty close to your home.

And see - I told you that you'd get offers from people to meet up and let you try out guns!!

Blackthorne is right - sporting clays is the most fun. It's golf with a gun. I shoot it whenever I can, and if Loch Raven had a sporting clays course I'd never be home! :lol2:

But I shoot skeet mostly, every week in fact, and have started shooting it competatively. It's so damned addicting!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Second Amendment said:
    I have a feeling that will be the case with me as well. It looks like fun.

I went with circleshooter and jmintzer. Had a ball. It's a great game. Can't wait to go again.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    2A, run,run, run away if you value your bank accounts,your family and your sanity, nothing gets in your blood like clay sports. You will drain your bank accounts, get a third mortgage,anything to get a cheap shiny medal at a shoot.
    Seriously, lots of folks here will be happy to show you the ropes, I would not mind meeting up with you and Blackthorne at PG next week, Weds or Thurs works for me. Don't worry about guns, I'm sure between others and I we can come up with something to shoot,in my case it might be 100 years old but will still work fine.

Last edited:

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Yep, I'm there a lot and shot with and helped (maybe) a few MDS shooters last week. PM me.
    Only down side was that one of the guys tried my Guerini and was smitten.

ps: I believe 5-stand is only available Thur, Sat, and Sun.
    Trap (wobble) is better anyway:)

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    How does the 5-stand work? I was there a couple Sundays ago and nobody was on that end...I walked down there and it looks like you need the staff there to run it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom