• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    Here's another one that I can't navigate to from the main page.
    Hex mosins for 140
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...X+Russian+1891/30+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Rifle

What is up with all these hidden deals?

Look under Rifles/Surplus Long Guns/Russian 1891/30 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant Rifles or click the "Curio & Relic Firearms" tile in the Catalog menu on the left side of the page. They're all on a single page. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=730&name=Russian+1891/30+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Rifle

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'll post this up in the classifieds later but I got a really nice wood SKS stock for my Sino Soviet, but d'oh, it is for a spike bayonet and I need a blade one. Does anyone want to trade a blade stock for my spike stock? Otherwise I'll just sell it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 457

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I know the painted stock is no problem but how hard would it be to remove chrome from metal?

There are a couple of ways to answer that. One is that it would be easy ... if you don't care what the material left underneath it looks like. The other is that it would be pretty hard ... if you do care.

Chrome is used because it's tough and it doesn't come off easily.

You can mechanically grind or media blast it off, but that is rough on the metal and potentially really bad for your lungs.

You could try reverse electrolysis, but that also might leave something looking pretty crappy.

I think that if I got one, I'd leave it chromed and count that as part of its history. It was a parade rifle. Collect it as such.

pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD

Probably from James River Armory...JRA used to sell them direct on their website but seem to be out now...they are in MD, so might be worth a phone call to see if they have one in the back. Atlantic Firearms has them on sale too, but these are Remington receivers not Smith-Corona:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-rifle-armory-refinished-detail.html?Itemid=0

And yes, rebuild from recovered drill rifles.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Probably from James River Armory...JRA used to sell them direct on their website but seem to be out now...they are in MD, so might be worth a phone call to see if they have one in the back. Atlantic Firearms has them on sale too, but these are Remington receivers not Smith-Corona:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-rifle-armory-refinished-detail.html?Itemid=0

Thanks for the info. For nearly the same price I could probably find a serviceable shooter that is "more original."

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    Try the classified section on the CMP forums. There are regularly posted ads for reasonably priced 03's and 03a3's. As for the chromed parade rifles… why? They will never have any collector value and after all the time and work it takes to make them shootable, you could have just bought a decent original rifle.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Try the classified section on the CMP forums. There are regularly posted ads for reasonably priced 03's and 03a3's. As for the chromed parade rifles… why? They will never have any collector value and after all the time and work it takes to make them shootable, you could have just bought a decent original rifle.

Yes, I have been watching the CMP Forum for three different rifles: M1 Carbine, 1917 Eddyfield, and a 1903A3 (or an original, high number WWI 1903). My suspicion was that the receivers on the current Aim Surplus rifles were salvaged from welded drill rifles (not chromed parade rifles). Some folks think that these salvaged receivers do OK, but I want something that wasn't altered.

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    Yes, I have been watching the CMP Forum for three different rifles: M1 Carbine, 1917 Eddyfield, and a 1903A3 (or an original, high number WWI 1903). My suspicion was that the receivers on the current Aim Surplus rifles were salvaged from welded drill rifles (not chromed parade rifles). Some folks think that these salvaged receivers do OK, but I want something that wasn't altered.

Sent you a PM.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013

I got confirmation today from Aim Surplus: stocks are new wood, other metal is "USGI spec" and the receivers are salvaged from drill rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom