• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    ready to send me your ammo yet?

Do you really want a bunch of mouse fart competition reloads? :sad20:

Anyway, I got a 4" carry .357 now, thanks to NOVA Firearms. Armscor has a decent .38 snubby with bobbed hammer for under $300, so that's next. I'm thinking the nickeled version. Once I get that, I can sell my PF9 and P07, which leaves me with my SP-01 for 3-gun. Then the hunt is on for a 10mm 1911.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I remember years ago, the FBI did a statistical analysis of gunshot calibers and the resulting fatalities. If I remember correctly, there's little correlation between caliber size and likelihood of neutralizing the target. It's all about placement, no matter the caliber (pistols, that is...)

Half the year (summer months), I carry a Ruger LCP loaded with Corbon 90gr.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I remember years ago, the FBI did a statistical analysis of gunshot calibers and the resulting fatalities. If I remember correctly, there's little correlation between caliber size and likelihood of neutralizing the target. It's all about placement, no matter the caliber.

I'll be carrying a 32-20 then :innocent0

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    I remember years ago, the FBI did a statistical analysis of gunshot calibers and the resulting fatalities. If I remember correctly, there's little correlation between caliber size and likelihood of neutralizing the target. It's all about placement, no matter the caliber (pistols, that is...)

Generally speaking, handgun caliber terminal ballistics are all pretty similar with pretty similar mortality rates.

We should all be carrying AR pistols if lethality was the main concern.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One more point I considered with regards to what I'm contemplating (and almost done implementing), if SHTF and we're in a WROL situation, I'm more likely to keep my brass with a revolver versus with the semi-auto systems. And I can use BP in the .38 and .357 brass, which is not really feasible with 9mm and other rounds developed during the smokeless powder era.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Generally speaking, handgun caliber terminal ballistics are all pretty similar with pretty similar mortality rates.

We should all be carrying AR pistols if lethality was the main concern.

Are we talking about the mortality rate of the first person in line or two guys behind the one you are shooting at?

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I've read through this thread and thought about this quite deeply for about 3 minutes. Have you considered working out and building a little muscle mass? If you bulk up a bit you might not notice the extra weight of carrying 3-4 mags of .45. Maybe you could this very easily doing 50 pushups a day and some arm curls. That way you don't have to sell your stuff.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I've read through this thread and thought about this quite deeply for about 3 minutes. Have you considered working out and building a little muscle mass? If you bulk up a bit you might not notice the extra weight of carrying 3-4 mags of .45. Maybe you could this very easily doing 50 pushups a day and some arm curls. That way you don't have to sell your stuff.

Two milkshakes a day could work, too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I'm selling my stuff to get better, more effective stuff. You, obviously, have never carried a .45 with 3-4 extra mags all day.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The FBI says 9mm is the best round and the FBI's reputation for being honest, forthright and unbiased is unequaled.

I don't know if this quote is your own, but I'm posting this phrase in my office and I'll give you credit.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I'm selling my stuff to get better, more effective stuff. You, obviously, have never carried a .45 with 3-4 extra mags all day.

It's all about where you put it. If you have a 4-5 pound mass dangling on a belt, sure that's going to hurt you. Spread it out. A standard man's large dress buttondown breast pocket can hold 2 mags without being exposed. I know, I've done it. You can get those inspector style shirts with pockets along your biceps and get a mag in there. If you go with that style, you will want to work out your arms a little to deal with the extra weight. Alternatively, you could hold them on your ankles. Amazon sells an ankle holster for them: https://www.amazon.com/ActiveProGear-Ankle-Double-Magazine-Carrier/dp/B008LUXABM

There's some great gear out there and you can color coordinate with your existing wardrobe.

You can't get more effective then .45 unless you go .50. Everybody knows that.

Boss

Oct 25, 2016
    What other calibers are you looking at? Most semi auto pistol calibers are comparable with exception of full power 10mm (your not going to carry a desert eagle so .50ae doesnt count). But then you need to consider how well you can shoot a more powerful round compared to 9mm.

Most people stick with 9mm because its deadly on almost all living things, but wont kill your bank account like other calibers will.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    What other calibers are you looking at? Most semi auto pistol calibers are comparable with exception of full power 10mm (your not going to carry a desert eagle so .50ae doesnt count). But then you need to consider how well you can shoot a more powerful round compared to 9mm.

Most people stick with 9mm because its deadly on almost all living things, but wont kill your bank account like other calibers will.

Power to weight ratio is why I'm looking at moving to a 10mm 1911 and a snubbie .357. I have a carry permit from the Commonwealth, so I can carry up to the DC and Maryland state lines :sad20: I do compete, which is why the shorter calibers are going to be relegated to competitions only. I have 1500 rounds of 10mm and 1200 rounds of .38 Special and 700 rounds of .357 Magnum. I'm also a reloader.

I've been carrying a Colt Cobra since I got it on Monday. Even with six rounds of +P 125gr JHPs, it's lighter than the 9mm subcompact I've been carrying. Two speedloaders of the same ammunition weigh about the same as the one extra mag of the 9mm. Short of a Walking Dead scenario, I've got enough to get to my vehicle with what's in the revolver and the two speed loaders. Don't get me wrong, more capacity is usually better, but I don't want to carry the extra weight.

I've owned and shot 10mm since 1990, I have brass and ammunition and factory rounds. I like the 180 and 200 gr loads I have and now that Sig is entering the mix, I've got more choices for ammunition now than has been since the early 90s.

I really should have mentioned earlier, due to the internal blood filter I have in my abdomen, it's very painful for me to sit with my belt cinched enough to hold a full sized pistol up and be able to sit down while driving. Assuming I can get another 10mm 1911 soon, I'll be carrying that in a shoulder holster with one spare mag when it gets colder.

I realize it takes a lot to read a whole thread, but I pointed out what I have and will get. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom