I'm back...making a parts list for an AR-15 - complete upper, build a lower - missing anything?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As a left handed shooter - which controls can I drop in as ambidextrous with a standard receiver, and what do I need the ambidextrous receiver for? Seems like mag release and safety, can be ambi on a standard receiver, correct? Googling around, the benefits of the extra coin for an ambi receiver aren't totally clear.

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Well, think I'm convinced, between my two threads on this, to take my time and build both top and bottom. Only extra tools I really need at the house to do so are probably a torque wrench and a vise, both of which would be useful in general. And seems like the best way for me to end up with a precision shooter I'm happy with, rather than slapping a cheap upper on a lower built from parts and having a plinker, that I'm just going to immediately work on upgrading anyway. Going to start with the lower, then pick a good barrel/bcg, and work the rest around that!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well, think I'm convinced, between my two threads on this, to take my time and build both top and bottom. Only extra tools I really need at the house to do so are probably a torque wrench and a vise, both of which would be useful in general. And seems like the best way for me to end up with a precision shooter I'm happy with, rather than slapping a cheap upper on a lower built from parts and having a plinker, that I'm just going to immediately work on upgrading anyway. Going to start with the lower, then pick a good barrel/bcg, and work the rest around that!
    *giggles in SOTAR*

There are some other tools you'll need.

AeroShell 64 grease

A bore scope like this one

A metal punch set like this

You'll need a go, field, and no go gauge

And that is just to start.

There are some on here that have a rolling tool chest full of tools to build AR's. FTR, once you build your first, you'll blink and find out that you built 4 more.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I took a multi year break, haven’t had anything that lit a fire in me to build…

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    *giggles in SOTAR*

There are some other tools you'll need.

AeroShell 64 grease

A bore scope like this one

A metal punch set like this

You'll need a go, field, and no go gauge

And that is just to start.

There are some on here that have a rolling tool chest full of tools to build AR's. FTR, once you build your first, you'll blink and find out that you built 4 more.
    i agree with all of this, i would add a a wheeler fat wrench its probably the tool i use the most. locktite is probably needed at some point. a lapping tool might be good too if you are trying to get the most precision out of the ar. i would also highly recommend an oops kit

some how i end up with a couple of ar parts and convince myself with a couple more parts i can build another. and proof another build starts even though i dont need any more. it can be addictive so watch out.

Amazon product ASIN B0012AXR4S
    Amazon product ASIN B00AUEHRBQ

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    i agree with all of this, i would add a a wheeler fat wrench its probably the tool i use the most. locktite is probably needed at some point. a lapping tool might be good too if you are trying to get the most precision out of the ar. i would also highly recommend an oops kit

some how i end up with a couple of ar parts and convince myself with a couple more parts i can build another. and proof another build starts even though i dont need any more. it can be addictive so watch out.

Amazon product ASIN B0012AXR4S
    Amazon product ASIN B00AUEHRBQ

I'm trying to keep it simple for him as he is just starting out.

Loctite is not a good idea, unless you are using it to bed the barrel. Rocksettis what you want to use as a thread locker on the AR, because it isn't temperature sensitive.

It is real easy to mess up a upper with a lapping tool, if you don't know what you're doing.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Reminds me of getting Chad's approval on my first build's inspection, good times and yes on the Tribble comment, was ordering parts last night.

Have Fun op.

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    I find it similar to computers - been building my home PC from parts almost every time since the mid 90s - and have almost enough spare parts for another one, just need a purpose for it. I see many of the same benefits as what I expect building an AR-15. Thanks for the tool tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom