I'm back...making a parts list for an AR-15 - complete upper, build a lower - missing anything?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    What do you think about the 2 stage rock river arms trigger? I am looking for a 2-stage under $100 trigger.

Given what we've talked about a bit further up, if I buy new triggers for my ARs, I'll go exclusively to ALG - for $80 for what's essentially a Giesselle trigger. Some places have a version of it that ships with two sets of springs - 4 lb, and 6 lb - seems like a pretty solid way to go.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Given what we've talked about a bit further up, if I buy new triggers for my ARs, I'll go exclusively to ALG - for $80 for what's essentially a Giesselle trigger. Some places have a version of it that ships with two sets of springs - 4 lb, and 6 lb - seems like a pretty solid way to go.

It seems that is basically a stock trigger that has been massaged a bit with polishing. And it is still single stage. I like a double-stage. I am glad someone posted the above about the drop-in triggers I was not aware of the inherent problems with them. I think I'll try the RRA I am happy with their products. I know some poo poo them.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    See my above post. Cassette triggers are not the way to go from a true reliability standpoint.
    For a target rifle not a battle/home defense rifle is reliability that critical? I have at least 5 cassette triggers and they have never failed. American gold, Elftmann, POF, and CMC packs. I also have a Larue MBT.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

I had a RR two stage trigger it got so light it was breaking at a .5lb, I deemed it unsafe and retired it. I have heard this was an issue in the past not sure about the newer ones.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have a drop-in CMC single stage cassette trigger in one rifle, and I like that trigger a lot. It's very very clean and crisp, breaks right at a measured 3.5 lbs.

The other one I have is a Lantac E-CT1. I was on the fence between this one and another CMC - they were the same price - and I opted for the Lantac to try something different. I actually don't like this one. It's advertised at 3.5 lbs, but it doesn't break consistently at the same pull weight, and it's always heavier than 3.5. At some point I think I'll pull those from my rifles and swap in something different.

I think that even the $40 PSA EPT with a set of $15 JP springs is actually a pretty solid choice, especially for no more than it costs. It is not 2 stage though - it is single stage, but it's very smooth and very predictable. I have this trigger in 2 rifles because when I built the rifles I figured it was an inexpensive but viable upgrade to milspec, and it came as part of a PSA lower parts kit. For those rifles, I have no immediate desire to change them.

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Good data on triggers, thanks all! I'm inclined to start with the PSA polished trigger as part of one of their lower parts kit, and later upgrading to a two-stage.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have a drop-in CMC single stage cassette trigger in one rifle, and I like that trigger a lot. It's very very clean and crisp, breaks right at a measured 3.5 lbs.

The other one I have is a Lantac E-CT1. I was on the fence between this one and another CMC - they were the same price - and I opted for the Lantac to try something different. I actually don't like this one. It's advertised at 3.5 lbs, but it doesn't break consistently at the same pull weight, and it's always heavier than 3.5. At some point I think I'll pull those from my rifles and swap in something different.

I think that even the $40 PSA EPT with a set of $15 JP springs is actually a pretty solid choice, especially for no more than it costs. It is not 2 stage though - it is single stage, but it's very smooth and very predictable. I have this trigger in 2 rifles because when I built the rifles I figured it was an inexpensive but viable upgrade to milspec, and it came as part of a PSA lower parts kit. For those rifles, I have no immediate desire to change them.

I really like my CMCs. I have 3. I found most of them for right around $100 between Ebay and sales. They are very consistent and solid.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Good data on triggers, thanks all! I'm inclined to start with the PSA polished trigger as part of one of their lower parts kit, and later upgrading to a two-stage.
    I prefer single stage triggers now that I've had some two stage ones. I started with 2 stages since I thought they were better. There really isn't much of a difference in the two except for the take up, after that is done it's basically a single stage.

PeteW

Feb 10, 2021
    Westminster
    For the money, the RTB LPK with the polished Schmid Nickel Teflon hammer is very nice
    If I remember correctly, Schmid provides a lot of their parts to other brand name trigger companies and is a super solid budget friendly option.

Want to spend more? The LaRue MBT2s is great for the money and I've not heard anything bad about it.

I prefer single stage triggers, and for the money I really like the hiperfire enhanced duty designated marksmen trigger. Crisp and comes with 2 different spring weight options. Has a curved section but also comes in flat at the bottom - I prefer this for quick & consistent indexing, but everyone is different.

Have fun with your build, good luck!

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    As a left handed shooter - which controls can I drop in as ambidextrous with a standard receiver, and what do I need the ambidextrous receiver for? Seems like mag release and safety, can be ambi on a standard receiver, correct? Googling around, the benefits of the extra coin for an ambi receiver aren't totally clear.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What do you think about the 2 stage rock river arms trigger? I am looking for a 2-stage under $100 trigger.

I have one of the RRA NM triggers and I like it.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    As a left handed shooter - which controls can I drop in as ambidextrous with a standard receiver, and what do I need the ambidextrous receiver for? Seems like mag release and safety, can be ambi on a standard receiver, correct? Googling around, the benefits of the extra coin for an ambi receiver aren't totally clear.
    Give me some time and I'll find the LPK for you and put a link in the new post.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Start with a plan for what you want to end up with, buying duplicates of parts adds cost.

Start with a barrel, then receiver / handguard, this is the core of making a rifle good or bad for your purpose, everything else will depend on these choices. Personally BCA is trash, and highly likely to have to go back for something they did wrong. PSA isn't much better, but at least has better customer service. AERO, Faxon and Ballistic advantage are my personal floor quality wise, they will work almost all of the time, and have good quality and customer service for the price. Lots of good stuff up from there depending on what you want.

In many cases, spending a bit more on a Criterion or Rainier barrel gets you a lot for a little more. For BCGs, Toolcraft is good and cheap, BCM is true Mil-spec. Nitride is easy to clean and holds up well, chrome lined phoshate holds more oil, and is a more durable coating for abuse, goes for BCGs and barrels. For small parts/ LPKS I have some kits, but being I NEVER use mil-spec triggers or selectors, and usually use Billet or Aero M4E1 receivers I don't need the trigger guards or bolt catch pins either, so I just buy individual parts, which ends up being less if you build more than a couple rifles, and you always have spares. For gas blocks, set screw/pinned are more secure, clamp-on allegedly seal tighter and don't add offset stress on a barrel, but good set-screw/pinned blocks shouldn't leak, and hard to tell if the accuracy thing is true or not. For adjustable Superlative arms, in block-off mode is the best IMO, SLR and Wojek are good too, others can have issues with seizing screws, lack of detent positions or poor fit.

The right tools make building easy. Vise, vise blocks, punches, hex keys, a front detent tool, GOOD buffer tube wrench and torque wrench. Cheap tools or improvised tools break, scuff and damage the rifle before it is even fired. A workbench and matt to keep parts from rolling off are a must.

I am a trigger snob. Out of dozens of builds I have 0 mil-spec triggers, they suck. I buy a few Larue MBT2s at a time, they are a curious trigger from a curious company. Mark Larue designed it, produced it, and sold it for over $200 to compete with Geissele's SSA, and IMO is better, made from bar stock, cleaner pull, wider flatter trigger face. We paid off his R&D and for unknown reasons said "well made enough off of that" and sells them for under $100. It's good, it's reliable, it's easy to install, every single one has been flawless. There is no equal IMO. Of course PCC, competition and a few other applications might have a different and more expensive answer.

For furniture, I like Magpul, mostly personal prefference. For controls I usually get the Radian Raptor/talon kit, the short throw ambi selector is awesome, and their charging handle is tough, and a huge improvement over mil-spec. I do use Battle arms BAD-ASS-PRO selectors on competition builds for the simple fact the Radian Talon is not compatible with Hiperfire triggers, and the larger levers and greater travel (60degrees vs Talon's 45) are a little easier to hit and verify(dumping a rifle off safe can get me DQed from a match), but can get in the way a little.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I have used these and I think these are a great value. I only replaced them when I found a smokin hot deal on a Geissele.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It’s interesting that you should say that - I have two rifles with drop-in cassette-type triggers. One I like, the other one I actually dislike, and I actually prefer the basic PSA EPT w/ JP springs I have in two other rifles.

With that in mind, a friend of mine is running ALG ACTs (advanced combat triggers) in a couple of his rifles and he swears by them - calls them a poor man’s Giesselle - and at $80 (apparently even less when they go on sale) they seem to be a decent value.
    The ALG ACT using to be $60 and the CMC used to be $125. Not any more. The Rock River triggers have not really gone up in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom