• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I have a couple 16" middy guns, they run with anything. But the gas system on the 14.5" middy guns is a lot different then the 16" middy system.

Help a brother out and explain. Is the length of the gas tube different?

I thought that they'd be the same, but what the heck do I know....:shrug:

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

The dwell time is different because of the distance between the port and the end of the barrel. The best thing to do would be to tune it using different buffer weights.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The dwell time is different because of the distance between the port and the end of the barrel. The best thing to do would be to tune it using different buffer weights.

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh

They are, its the loss of the 1.5" of barrel that changes things. Just try out some different buffers if there is a problem.

I don't mean to make it sound like it is an unreliable platform, they are very reliable, but it's like owning a performance car, they want 93 gas, not 87. I will own a 14.5" BHF middy in the future.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    They are, its the loss of the 1.5" of barrel that changes things. Just try out some different buffers if there is a problem.

I don't mean to make it sound like it is an unreliable platform, they are very reliable, but it's like owning a performance car, they want 93 gas, not 87. I will own a 14.5" BHF middy in the future.

Gotcha. I'll coming a knocking for advice if it does seem to like what I'm running in it.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I've actually gotten an email from BCM saying they're in stock and when I click the link, they're already sold out :sad20:

Jim

wow.

I jumped on it right away, so I feel fortunate in that case.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    BCM rocks like Amadeus.

Three days from order to delivery.

Got so excited, went ahead and ordered handguards and a charging handle for it despite the fact I said I was going to wait.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Damn BRD !

No kidding. Figured I might as well get it done. Still need to add a read sight and then I'll be done. Going to stick the sight taken off of a RRA entry tactical for now.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    Could the .223 problem with these uppers be due to a too small gas port in the barrel? Is the 16" port the same size as the 14.5?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Could the .223 problem with these uppers be due to a too small gas port in the barrel? Is the 16" port the same size as the 14.5?

5.56 is very hot compared to factory .223. the 1.5" of barrel length is that much less gas the system is getting to operate. I'm guessing a standard buffer instead of the H would help, but there is no way to find out without trying them all.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    BCM still has the Standard weight 14.5" middies in stock. I just ordered one.

Norton, what bolt carrier group did you get? The BCM BCG has been out of stock for months.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Norton, what bolt carrier group did you get? The BCM BCG has been out of stock for months.

I've got a RRA BCG with very few rounds on it sitting here that I'll use for now.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I've got a RRA BCG with very few rounds on it sitting here that I'll use for now.

Use it in what? You talk like you got a new upper...we havent seen any pics of this so called "upper" yet so like the lockness monster and the yetti its only a myth. As an admin you should know better:innocent0

:D

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    So, once again, BCM came through in quick fashion with the MOE handguards and a Gunfighter charging handle.

I through the RRA BCG in there since I have it sitting around and BCM is slower than molasses getting their BCGs on the market.

Upon putting the bolt back into the carrier after I cleaned it, I had a bit of difficulty getting the bolt all of the way into the carrier right at the point where the gas rings contact the carrier.

Is this a sign that they're worn out? I find it hard to believe given the round count. I got it together, but when I started checking the function of everything, I noticed that if I eased the BCG forward using the charging handle, the carrier doesn't go all of the way forward into battery.

If I let it go with some force (not letting it slam home, though) it seems to work just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom