squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    Thread update:

The deed is done. Just got back from On Target and she shoots great! :gun3:

She's on my desk as I type this - very happy. :bannana:

photo-14.jpg

Nice acquisition. :)

I used to think I wanted a 629 (44mag) eventually, but the more I think about it, the more I lean toward a 686, for the versatility of being able to shoot either 357mag or 38spc. The temptation of a "big boom gun" is high, but I think the 686 still would provide plenty of boom while still actually having a chance of being practical. :D

I like the modern look of a revolver like yours there. I've never been much on the old revolver look...blued with wood-grips, etc. But the stainless revolvers with rubberized grips...I think they're pretty sexy.

And every now and then I'll see a Colt Python all blinged out...but I dunno if I can justify the extra coin. ;)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    THE iconic icon of wheelguns is the Colt SAA.

I'd add the S&W K22, Webley Mk VI, S&W 29 in .44 or .357... lots of great choices...

hate to break it to you, but I'm afraid just one aint gonna do it.

I agree!!:party29:

By the way a S&W 29 in .357 is a S&W 27.

I have the S&W k-22 Masterpiece Target as well as the 15(k-38), 19 (k frame .357), 27 (.357) and 29 (44 Mag). all are great wheel guns to have. If I was gonna have only one, it would probably be either the M27 or M29. The M27 just for 38 and 357 plus home defense or the 44 mag 29 so I could also deer hunt. Many .357 mag loads are not legal for deer hunting in Maryland.

By the way, for anyone interested, I just recently saw a steal at Angler's near bay bridge. I didn't look real close, but saw either an m27-2 or m29-2 with what looked like an 8-3/8 barrel. Looked to be pretty good shape and just $699! You'll need to call and verify the model as I can't remember for sure if it was .357 or .44. FWIW, it's an older model almost certainly NOT pre-drilled for a scope base if you require that (although a good gun smith could drill it easily enough). That, however is a great price for a Smith N-frame.

Oh, yeah...if you have a definite preference for stainless, the 686 and 629 should get a look.

bilbravo

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore (District 46)
    I rented a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum with a 2.25" barrel a few weeks ago and loved it. I might prefer something a little larger, but my wife was able to hold it in her hands very well.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Why rush to get a revolver before October? They're not affected by 281. But anyway, IMHO the S&W M-19 would be my first choice (I've got two), the M-27 would be second. M-10's available for much less, and is a great first revolver and first S&W. Rugers are hell-for-stout, but no where near as elegant, in looks or function.

I agree with the S & W M19. I have 2 and they are fun to shoot and very accurate. I have a 6" in Nickel and a 6" Blue with TT,TH, RR and WO.

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I rented a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum with a 2.25" barrel a few weeks ago and loved it. I might prefer something a little larger, but my wife was able to hold it in her hands very well.

I have a Security Six with the short barrel. The original wooden grips were much too small for my hands so I put on some Pachmyers. Works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom