• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I haven't seen a "help me pick a wheel gun" thread, so here it goes.

I'm trying to round out the collection and make my first revolver purchase before October. I've shot a few, but don't have enough experience or knowledge with revolvers to have a preference or to be able to key in on something I want.

I'm thinking something that is:

- fairly easy to locate/buy locally from an IP
    - iconic or has some historic significance, but still "modern" and practical
    - in a commonly-stocked caliber (.357 mag, etc.)
    - I'm leading toward S&W and Ruger
    - no preferences regarding SA vs DA
    - I'm a lefty, not that it should make a difference with a wheel gun, I assume...
    - fun to shoot, puts a smile on your face - above all else

I'm not really looking for consensus, just ideas to help me figure out what I want.

Thanks!

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    S&W 460

Fun to shoot, flame 2 ft long comes out of barrel, big enough to handle ANY animal and if used for HD you don't have to be accurate because if they don't pass out from seeing it, they will be deaf and blind after you miss them. :D

Why rush to get a revolver before October? They're not affected by 281. But anyway, IMHO the S&W M-19 would be my first choice (I've got two), the M-27 would be second. M-10's available for much less, and is a great first revolver and first S&W. Rugers are hell-for-stout, but no where near as elegant, in looks or function.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Fun to shoot, flame 2 ft long comes out of barrel, big enough to handle ANY animal and if used for HD you don't have to be accurate because if they don't pass out from seeing it, they will be deaf and blind after you miss them. :D

I may have shot one of those at freestate with another member. I'll have to ask him what it was. If it's the same gun, it was hilarious. Giant fireball, huge percussion that you could feel in your chest, and just made you laugh!

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Why rush to get a revolver before October? They're not affected by 281. But anyway, IMHO the S&W M-19 would be my first choice (I've got two), the M-27 would be second. M-10's available for much less, and is a great first revolver and first S&W. Rugers are hell-for-stout, but no where near as elegant, in looks or function.

I know revolvers aren't effected - it's just because I refuse to be licensed and fingerprinted to exercise a right, that's all.

I like your comparison of S&W being "elegant, in looks or function" - that's something I gravitate to. :thumbsup:

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I haven't seen a "help me pick a wheel gun" thread, so here it goes.

I'm trying to round out the collection and make my first revolver purchase before October. I've shot a few, but don't have enough experience or knowledge with revolvers to have a preference or to be able to key in on something I want.

I'm thinking something that is:

- fairly easy to locate/buy locally from an IP
    - iconic or has some historic significance, but still "modern" and practical
    - in a commonly-stocked caliber (.357 mag, etc.)
    - I'm leading toward S&W and Ruger
    - no preferences regarding SA vs DA
    - I'm a lefty, not that it should make a difference with a wheel gun, I assume...
    - fun to shoot, puts a smile on your face - above all else

I'm not really looking for consensus, just ideas to help me figure out what I want.

Thanks!

1. Single action: Colt New Army in .45 Long Colt
    2. Double action: S&W Model 686 in .357 Mag.

I have both.

I may have shot one of those at freestate with another member. I'll have to ask him what it was. If it's the same gun, it was hilarious. Giant fireball, huge percussion that you could feel in your chest, and just made you laugh!

Yeah. A little while ago I'm at Continental, minding my own business, plinking away with my .22, and all of a sudden Hiroshima breaks out on the next lane. The damned pressure wave when that .500 S&W went off was enough to throw me off, not to mention the sound through my muff and plugs. You can save it for somewhere I'm not.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Ruger gp100 or s&w 686

As far as common guns those are the top pick.

Shoot 357 or 38 you can't go wrong with the vast amount of Ammo and load choices.

Not so common

Colt python or a new frontier in 357

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Dan Wesson 44mag.

Attachments

• Dan Wesson.jpg
      Dan Wesson.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 592

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    THE iconic icon of wheelguns is the Colt SAA.

I'd add the S&W K22, Webley Mk VI, S&W 29 in .44 or .357... lots of great choices...

hate to break it to you, but I'm afraid just one aint gonna do it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Double action, Ruger GP-100. Single action I would take a Blackhawk in. 45lc or a Super Blackhawk in. 44.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    While I'm partial to snubbies, I think for a one-gun situation I'd go S&W M10, heavy barrel. If concealed carry is a determining factor, M60 or Detective Special with hammer shroud. (The old one, with the exposed ejector rod, because it's so very 1940. SS makes more sense, but sometimes you gotta go with what moves you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom