• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    S&W 686 or Ruger GP100.

If the above quoted guns feel good in your hand, I'd say go for it. I jus' read the first page and the 2 mentioned are the most popular and for good reason. If I were to have just one centerfire wheelgun, one of those two would be it.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    S&W M686. Standard Caliber, Strong, and as it has a K-frame's guts it's easy to work on but as it's in a L-frame is strong as it needs to be.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    M629 Classic 5in full underlug.

But seriously , if you don't already have a serious hunting handgun , you can make a revolver fill the role. .44 Mag , or strong .45Colt ( I like .41Mags and .44Spl , but not readily available pre-made). 6in N Frame , and 6.5 in Blackhawk , and carryable , if not easily concealable. 5.5 in (plain) Redhawk has a minor Cult Folowing , but not quite Icon yet.

I found a M629 Classic 5in at a local shop and it's sweet.

I haven't been able to find a Smith or Ruger .357 mag locally...

I'm seriously considering the 629, but since I don't hand load, I'm wondering if that's a mistake and I should be patient until I find a .357 ?

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lots of great suggestions here, but if it was me my first choice, if I could only have one, forever and ever, amen, would be a S&W Model 27. If it was good enough for General Patton, (there's your historical significance) it's good enough for me.

I have a Model 29 (well, technically a pre-29) and it's an awesome gun, and it would be my first choice because I reload, but otherwise, the .357 is probably the way to go.

Otherwise, there's always the Colt SAA or one of the many good clones out there - .45 LC all the way, although .44-40 is good too.

HTArms

May 9, 2013
    Waynesboro, PA
    This is a good thread with a lot of good suggestions! I have a lot of options to choose from, but almost always grab my old Colt Python. My step father carried it forever and willed it to me. It has the smoothest trigger pull and is accurate with both .38 and .357, which makes it a great general purpose revolver.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I should have suggested a Colt Python as well - I'm more of a S&W guy, but the Python definitely stands on its own.

BigToe

Well Armed Vagrant
    I agree with previous posters, as a MD resident, I would use this opportunity to pick up a high capacity auto or soon to be illegal carbine. Revolvers will be readily available for the foreseeable future.

One thing I have found though is revolvers are much harder to come by at the stores I've been too, yet they have plenty of high capacity autos. I am also able to find 9mm and .40 S&W ammo, but have not seen .357 Mag ammo in months.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    S&W Model 29. If it was good enough for Dirty Harry, it is good enough for me.

Attachments

• S&W Model 29-2.jpg
      S&W Model 29-2.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 118

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Ok, I've pretty much decided on a 686.

BUT, I've stumbled upon a colt king cobra in 4", great shape, for $1200

My question or the experts: is a good used king cobra worth $300-400 more than new 686 ?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Ok, I've pretty much decided on a 686.

BUT, I've stumbled upon a colt king cobra in 4", great shape, for $1200

My question or the experts: is a good used king cobra worth $300-400 more than new 686 ?

I'd rather have the 686. Colt's famous revolver is the Python. For any other colt revolver, the S&W's tend to be superior.

Not to mention it would be a hard sell if the KC and 686 were the same price, but 3-4 hundred more? No way. Not to mention we are comparing a used gun to a new one.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    I'd rather have the 686. Colt's famous revolver is the Python. For any other colt revolver, the S&W's tend to be superior.

Not to mention it would be a hard sell if the KC and 686 were the same price, but 3-4 hundred more? No way. Not to mention we are comparing a used gun to a new one.

Thanks, I was coming to that conclusion myself. Also, being a lefty, the Colt's cylinder release is really awkward. Now if I could just find a 686..

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    I agree with previous posters, as a MD resident, I would use this opportunity to pick up a high capacity auto or soon to be illegal carbine. Revolvers will be readily available for the foreseeable future.

One thing I have found though is revolvers are much harder to come by at the stores I've been too, yet they have plenty of high capacity autos. I am also able to find 9mm and .40 S&W ammo, but have not seen .357 Mag ammo in months.

The ammo wasn't a problem until recently, and wheelguns seemed to be elusive for a while.

In MHO you can't beat a GP100 w/ a 4" barrel (not legal for hunting in MD) for a double action, nor a Blackhawk for a single action.

Good luck in your search.:)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Have had a 686 for 25 years, and shot it for the first time in a decade about a month ago. Ran 50 rounds of .38 special FMJ through it, nothing special. Oh yeah, I had forgotten what a sweet piece it is. Managed to pick up 500 rounds of .38, which will be gone shortly! This is a wonderful handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom