If We're Gonna Bring Up Mental Illness...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The real question is "who gets to decide what mental illness disqualifies someone from owning guns?" Many people at some point in their lives have been prescribed anti anxiety or anti deppressants.. will those people be prohibited? What about trandgenders? Flat earthers? 911 conspiracy nuts? Halucaust deniers? Will there be political appointees making these choices like the Maryland HPRB? Seems like an issue ripe for exploitation by gun grabbers..

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The real question is "who gets to decide what mental illness disqualifies someone from owning guns?" Many people at some point in their lives have been prescribed anti anxiety or anti deppressants.. will those people be prohibited? What about trandgenders? Flat earthers? 911 conspiracy nuts? Halucaust deniers? Will there be political appointees making these choices like the Maryland HPRB? Seems like an issue ripe for exploitation by gun grabbers..

Many in the Left believe that the critical disqualifying mental illness is the desire to own a gun. Seriously.

If you want one, you're too sick to have one. There. Problem solved.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The real question is "who gets to decide what mental illness disqualifies someone from owning guns?" Many people at some point in their lives have been prescribed anti anxiety or anti deppressants.. will those people be prohibited? What about trandgenders? Flat earthers? 911 conspiracy nuts? Halucaust deniers? Will there be political appointees making these choices like the Maryland HPRB? Seems like an issue ripe for exploitation by gun grabbers..

Yes!!! And most people with psychiatric illness should not be prohibited. Many people on this very board take medication for psychiatric disease. They are BETTER because of it.

Wardove

Jul 23, 2017
    Blairsville, GA
    Ok, mental illness should include being a Democrat and other forms of socialcrats. Obviously mental impairment is an issue, what more is needed to prove that? Also, they would be denied if answering the question correctly on the form about overthrowing the government. They want to overthrow this country with every breath. Similar to the main answer with the violence issues in schools is bad upbringing of the youth that go bad. These folks just have bad information or thinking processes. Certainly are morally deficient. Is this a perfect answer? No, but a start to understanding the true issues.

johnnyu

Feb 21, 2013
    Maybe someone should try and find out why it just coincidentally happened to be an area where Cops have been sitting on their hands over this guy in Florida, and a knowingly disturbed individual was destined to go goofy in a school, and basically the Cops let him. Investigate those damn Cops. There's your mental problem. That entire department needs to be relieved of their jobs. They failed the public.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    Something that is missing in the mix, and I hate to use the term, is “common sense”. Our society has gone full retard and nobody is willing to accept the consequences of their actions. Nobody is taught critical thinking when it comes to social interaction. If someone starts down the road of depression or anxiety, they should be self aware and take positive steps to help improve. Seeking medical/psychological help is one of those steps. Medication may be another, but I wouldn’t advocate that. Diet, exercise, meditation are all good tools. The one thing I haven’t seen discussed is distancing oneself from the source of the problem, or from tools that could be destructive to yourself or others. How many times have you been pissed off, and you jump in the car and drive like a fool, only to think afterwards,”glad I didn’t hurt myself or someone else”. Those are the types of things that we should be responsible for, recognize the potential danger and guard against it!

Years ago I was going through a contentious divorce. As you might imagine, tempers had a tendency to flare, we both did and said thing we later regretted. During that period of time, all my guns were disassembled, the parts were scattered in different parts of the house, knowing that if thing flared to a point “of no return”, it would take time to collect the parts, assemble and use a firearm by either of us! The idea was even if things deteriorated, it would take a conscious action to do permanent harm. That is the type of personal responsibility that anyone with tools that have the ability to do gave harm to another needs to cultivate. Unfortunately our society doesn’t teach self control, nobody is held accountable from the time they are children, so they have no sense of accountability as adults. Society needs to find a solution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    But like you stated....nobody wants responsibility for their own actions, or lack of action. Kids are “taught” by parents that don’t have time to teach them and instead rely on the school system to be a daycare. What seems to be taught is a lack of consequences for your actions. If you have a lack of responsibility, lack of consequences then you also have a lack of morals and ethics. And when you have adults in positions of authority over these kids abuse their power like the mayor of Baltimore wants to do by busing 3k students to DC for a antigun rally that should be considered child abuse.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Mental illness remains a VERY slippery slope. I could get together with Shootin’ the Breeze, Dbledoc, or any of the other docs on the board and we could certify anyone based on a “concerning” post. The police WOULD go pick you up and you would be involuntarily committed for 3 days. It would be a shit show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom