If We're Gonna Bring Up Mental Illness...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What I don’t understand in this is that he supposedly left a note LAST WEEK saying he was going to do harm. WTF did the school let him back into the classroom without getting a mental evaluation? Was any LEO informed? Just more questions.

Yeah, another case of there being warning signs that went unnoticed. If he indeed did leave a note.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    What I don’t understand in this is that he supposedly left a note LAST WEEK saying he was going to do harm. WTF did the school let him back into the classroom without getting a mental evaluation? Was any LEO informed? Just more questions.

As someone who worked as a police representative with a major school system I can say now that I'm retired, a major problem is probably better than half of their administrators both at the schools and centrally located are totally incompetent when it comes to making any sort of a critical decision. Administrators are promoted on the basis of how to read a manual, loyally follow a manual, be politically correct, and not have problems visible at their school.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Local schools keep the door locked and access is supposed to only be through the main entrance (buzzed in). Of course a determined aggressor will just blow through the door or catch them at recess or dismissal. Locked doors just don't work in most ill intent situations.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Local schools keep the door locked and access is supposed to only be through the main entrance (buzzed in). Of course a determined aggressor will just blow through the door or catch them at recess or dismissal. Locked doors just don't work in most ill intent situations.
    Well I think that is better than nothing. It is a means of stalling for time. Time where there can be an armed response and sounding of the alarm.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    "I'm a little teapot short and stout

Watch me run my mouth and get kicked out"

Well, ERuby called this one weeks ago when I was thinking about giving the guy a chance (before the repeated condescension in this thread, besides the ridiculous plan - an MQL - worse than an HQL). Wonder if he's a retread. Either way, I suspect he'll be back.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    First of all, there is no correlation between mental illness and violence. Second, it's a bad idea that will deter people who own guns and need help from getting it. Third, it will also open the door to expanding the list of "prohibiting" conditions to take more and more people's gun rights away. Fourth, it won't work anyway. MH professionals will be the first ones to tell you they cannot predict if someone is going to be violent any more than anyone else, and research backs this up. Fifth, we already have a mental health standard of involuntary commitment triggering a lifetime ban unless relieved.

The above cannot be stressed enough. People who are mentally ill and criminally violent are rare. Very rare. So rare they tend to stand out like a beacon, as we saw in Parkland where people weren't surprised. The laws, regulations, and policies we already have in place are very capable of dealing with the issue.

There's no legitimate need to put everyone under the microscope. It's a lame excuse for sidestepping the real problem: dangerous complacency being shown by people with the authority to take appropriate action(s) when a crazy psychopath pops up on a community's radar.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

If the kids would stop propping the doors, the system would work a whole lot better.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Exactly! You can “harden” the schools but you can’t keep the doors and windows locked from the inside. And even with the strictest instruction you won’t keep the darlings from going out whatever exit they want. Come lunchtime or break time. Alarms on all exits may deter some but enforcement may do more. First offense = detention, second = suspension, third = expulsion. They mostly still thinks that it’s a game

Last edited:

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I agree, but did you see where a teacher fired a round and barricaded himself in a school classroom. I think we need to look at the buildings, install a fence line and controlled enter to put a good dent in these shootings.

If the kids would stop propping the doors, the system would work a whole lot better.

For every measure, there will be countermeasures, as Norton points out.

And if there was tight security to access the school building what would that do? Create a large crowd of targets at the access points, like we have at airports? I think the ONLY rational thing Trump has uttered in the past 2 weeks is to reopen more mental facilities (which I believe R Regan closed in the early 1980's) to get the sub-defectives some help.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    For every measure, there will be countermeasures, as Norton points out.

And if there was tight security to access the school building what would that do? Create a large crowd of targets at the access points, like we have at airports? I think the ONLY rational thing Trump has uttered in the past 2 weeks is to reopen more mental facilities (which I believe R Regan closed in the early 1980's) to get the sub-defectives some help.

So we give up, and let the left take our rights away? We even have hardliners here that argue against that!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Exactly! You can “harden” the schools but you can’t kee the doors and windows locked from the inside. And even with the strictest instruction you won’t keep the darlings from going out whatever exit they want. Come lunchtime or break time. Alarms on all exits may deter some but enforcement may do more. First offense = detention, second = suspension, third = expulsion. They mostly still thinks that it’s a game

That's the key. Take the "game" out of it. Actual consequences drive behavior. Anyone who's ever trained a dog knows the drill.

As for managing this ... the technology available now has never been less expensive, easy to use, or simple to deploy. Every exit gets a camera, and all door-opening events are recorded with off the shelf sensors that time-stamp when the event occurs. A couple of key strokes, and you have a nice HD image of the kid who opened the door. Treat that offense as being an invitation to potential murderers outside that door, and don't relent. If that kid's hair isn't on fire as he flees from that exit, he's in deep hot water - and it's never been easier to establish who touched what.

Parents will complain that it's not fair to tarnish little Johnny's record over a simple indiscretion, but those are the parents who are now seemingly waking up to the need to actually be serious about school security. When they say Johnny would never do such a thing, email them a screen grab of Johnny DOING it, suitable for framing. They can use the frame they had intended to use for his diploma.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    So we give up, and let the left take our rights away? We even have hardliners here that argue against that!

How do you get that from what I wrote?

I must be a hardliner. I'll argue all day and all night against allowing the far left to take my God-given rights away.

This!

Context has a lot to do with my response. I was referring the Mental Heath institutions.

Maybe a little more time spent on post composition will avoid misunderstandings? I wrote "reopen more mental facilities". How is that giving up on anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom