If We're Gonna Bring Up Mental Illness...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If I was on Bloomberg's payroll, I wouldn't be hanging out on a forum with you losers.

Lemme guess, you shop at Dick’s? You’re a great admirer of Dick’s? You are right at home with Dick’s?

Just increases my respect for Rack and the gang for all they do being out there and risking just that with all the anti gun and anti 2A crazies out there. Hats off to all of you again!

Thank you, sir.

A Lil Teapot 89

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 31, 2018
    Your O.P. along with this is enough to tell you to f off.

Par for the course for a Bernie Bot, hater of the Electoral College System, and one who talks smack about the NRA. (His YouTube channel is where he spouts this nonsense)

Bernie was a few years ago (I've changed positions since backing him), the electoral college robs individual citizens of their voice (a blind, lobotomized rat could tell you as much) and I don't "talk smack" about the NRA. They sent me a piece of propaganda to try and get my money, and I told them no.

Die mad about it.

A Lil Teapot 89

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 31, 2018
    Maryland still refuses to enter mental health information into the NICS database. Other states do also. The existing background check system might work a little better if antis weren't undermining it.

That's actually a good point. Now how do we get the state to stop refusing to do this? Everyone is obviously opposed to my proposal, with good reason. I didn't know this bit of info and like I said, if we're going to keep bringing up mental illness, we might as well do something about it.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Couldn't have said it better. I have a social anxiety disorder. Without medication I would never have met anyone on this board. I probably couldn't practice medicine.
    :D

blanton.jpg

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    True progress/actual measurable results are unwelcome.

The appearance of progress with bonus of increased control of the "fringe elements" of society....home run.

PS. Welcome to the fringe...that's you and me...us.:sad20::sad20::D

If I recall correctly, several studies have shown that elected officials have an extremely high propensity for certain mental/personality disorders or illnesses.

Perhaps they are afraid that they would be defenseless in an otherwise armed world if the truth were known and exposed. Certainly might explain Maryland's hesitance to report, in part. That, and some politicians' deeply held conviction that anyone who even wants a gun is nuts by definition.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Closing Mental Institutions Made Us More Vulnerable to Mass Shootings

Walter E. Williams writes about SERIOUS mental illness, not just trying to cope with the stresses of everyday modern living.

Several studies claim up to 20% of the population has an undiagnosed mental illness, and have produced similar numbers for the percent that are actually violent, surprisingly in-line with the population at large for the most part. Problem is they are predisposed to be the victims of violence and crime, a recent study found they are several times more likely to be a VICTIM than the general population. Could be a predisposition for an abusive relationship, or they present an easy target for criminals. So while the current "prohibited status" requires adjudicating in a court as a basic due process, trying to expand that to the 50 million Americans that may suffer from a mental condition will leave a lot of non-violent people vulnerable despite being more likely to be a victim. The lesson is that we can chase every attribute of every criminal who "fell through the cracks" and probably end up prohibiting everyone(the anti-gun lobby's end goal) or work on making it as convenient and easy to arm as many potential victims as possible, and simply get out of the way from people who want to protect themselves.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If I recall correctly, several studies have shown that elected officials have an extremely high propensity for certain mental/personality disorders or illnesses.

Perhaps they are afraid that they would be defenseless in an otherwise armed world if the truth were known and exposed. Certainly might explain Maryland's hesitance to report, in part. That, and some politicians' deeply held conviction that anyone who even wants a gun is nuts by definition.
    Great read..."Wisdom of Psychopaths"

I can recommend it for your consideration. It will change your perspective.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If you're asking how I would stop every instance of that occurring, the answer is, I can't. What we can do, collectively, is foster an environment where it happens less via deterrence.

That deterrence is a trained and armed person that is willing to do violent things to anyone that would try and attack children in a school. The Israeli system has worked since 1974!

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    That deterrence is a trained and armed person that is willing to do violent things to anyone that would try and attach children in a school. The Israeli system has worked since 1974!

I agree, but did you see where a teacher fired a round and barricaded himself in a school classroom. I think we need to look at the buildings, install a fence line and controlled enter to put a good dent in these shootings.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What I don’t understand in this is that he supposedly left a note LAST WEEK saying he was going to do harm. WTF did the school let him back into the classroom without getting a mental evaluation? Was any LEO informed? Just more questions.

Attachments

• 87B9C556-EB54-415E-B336-8DB02E684C64.jpg
      87B9C556-EB54-415E-B336-8DB02E684C64.jpg
      41.5 KB · Views: 91

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I agree, but did you see where a teacher fired a round and barricaded himself in a school classroom. I think we need to look at the buildings, install a fence line and controlled enter to put a good dent in these shootings.

Removing the exterior door handles from 'Non Secured' points of entry would be of help, provided those doors can still be used during emergencies.

Voluntary armed staff is still a viable option. Between Security, Teachers, Administration - that's a lot of coverage inside even a large school with a high student count.

The private school I attended in Va, had armed staff in various campuses. And right up until MS-13 became a staple, it worked as designed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom