• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    They do make trail cameras that can be remotely viewed. I don't know if these are or not

I was there about 9am this morning. There is not a single camera no where no how. Maybe someone needs to take a picture of this / these cameras. I was actually going to pose for a few photos, but, the camera is an elusive creature. I even looked rather hard for one the last time I was down there. Two camera hunts and not seen a single one. Oh, well. Interest lost.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Was there on my last visit. Was plain as day once it was spotted out for me.

Maybe someone "liberated" it??

bigwillc

Apr 12, 2013
    Charles County - Da Dorf
    Go several times and you will soon learn the reasons not to go. I go there to get shotshell hulls and odd brass, but, never when others are shooting. Not a chance of that again.

Keep in mind that the kids 17 or younger must have passed the Hunter's Safety Course..and be accompanied by an adult with a permit to use the range.

And like some others have said, there are some real asshats that show up there from time to time. I've had many many good days, for every bad one, but I also refuse to go on the weekends. I go there here and there myself, but even if they passed the course...I don't think I would take the little ones there.

Thanks for the heads up and advice. Any trip that I plan would be during off-peak timeframes like in the middle of the week on my telework days where I can swing by on a lunch break or something. My oldest son is 17 so we'll likely stick to indoor ranges for him.

I also won't hesitate to just pack up and leave if I run into any fools or asshats who are there simply to clown around without regards to safety.

Aside from Fred's, any suggestions for where to go and shoot in the Charles County / SoMd area that you would consider family friendly?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not a lot of options unless you make friends with someone that has a bit of land and a good backstop.

I shoot in my backyard, but I have a unforgiving field of fire into a ravine/hill-side. So I don't invite people to shoot with me as I'm responsible for every round that leaves the muzzle.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Thanks for the heads up and advice. Any trip that I plan would be during off-peak timeframes like in the middle of the week on my telework days where I can swing by on a lunch break or something. My oldest son is 17 so we'll likely stick to indoor ranges for him.

I also won't hesitate to just pack up and leave if I run into any fools or asshats who are there simply to clown around without regards to safety.

Aside from Fred's, any suggestions for where to go and shoot in the Charles County / SoMd area that you would consider family friendly?

In short. We got nothing here. As long as we have the Charles County Anti-Gun Board of Commissioners we will continue to have nothing in the future. Folks in this county can;t even get a one day permit for a simple Turkey Shoot.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    "Plain as day" and "pointed out" should not be used in the same sentence.

True, but I did anyways. :D

You just told me it wasn't there until it magically appeared. :D

Honestly, if someone hadn't had pointed it out to me, I'd have likely overlooked it. It's just far enough into the treeline to not draw much attention unless you knew it was there.

Against my better judgement, I'll be back down there in the near future. So if it's still there I'll take a picture of it.

*That'll be great, taking a picture of a camera to put on the internet... :lol2:

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    In short. We got nothing here. As long as we have the Charles County Anti-Gun Board of Commissioners we will continue to have nothing in the future. Folks in this county can;t even get a one day permit for a simple Turkey Shoot.

Why do we need permission to have a Turkey SHOOT? f-THE LIB-TARDS

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nope, it's still up there.
    Signs at the top of the hill that say that the area is subject to video surveillance.
    The guys said there was a DNR gal there last weekend, that was watching from the top of the hill. They said she waited for a bunch of folks to come up the hill, then busted them back to back for no permits.
    They said she probably handed out several grand in fines.
    Maybe the word will get around and there will be less derelicts showing up.

That'll pay for a few target stands alright.

Hope they keep lighting people up. The herd needs to be thinned some.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Signs at the top of the hill that say that the area is subject to video surveillance.
    The guys said there was a DNR gal there last weekend, that was watching from the top of the hill. They said she waited for a bunch of folks to come up the hill, then busted them back to back for no permits.

So the "camera" is a woman ?...

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    That'll pay for a few target stands alright.

Hope they keep lighting people up. The herd needs to be thinned some.

Myrtle Grove will NEVER see a single penny of any money made on fines from non-permitted users. That money goes in to the Maryland State bank account which will pissed away on useless things like leases on state properties no one ever uses. Or boat ramps. Don't think for a minute that any revenue raised at the range stays at the range. That's just crazy thinking.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have to admit...

I finally got to see this camera at Myrtle Grove for myself this past Sunday morning. I busted up laughing at the thought of such a useless item on that tree. I think it is more of a scare tactic than any practical use. The camera, what might just be a wooden box with a glass eyepiece to imitate a camera, is, in fact, up on the top of the hill at the end of the bench platform. I have put much thought in to that camera and what its purpose is, but, I can not draw a single final conclusion as to why anyone would bother with it. If they wanted to deter idiots from doing things, then the camera should be placed down on the range somewhere. It's just the silliest thing I have ever seen.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

The fine is $125.00 and they write it up as as "Trespassing on State Property" No I was not one of them, but, I know this fact.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Myrtle Grove will NEVER see a single penny of any money made on fines from non-permitted users. That money goes in to the Maryland State bank account which will pissed away on useless things like leases on state properties no one ever uses. Or boat ramps. Don't think for a minute that any revenue raised at the range stays at the range. That's just crazy thinking.

THANK YOU!! I can't believe how quick we are to cheer DNR for fining fellow shooters. Yea, everyone should follow the rules but an infraction doesn't make em derelicts.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

The fine is $125.00 and they write it up as as "Trespassing on State Property" No I was not one of them, but, I know this fact.

I HAVE been fined for an expired permit, and I can say without doubt that the fine is $250, per person.

Think I even still have the receipt from paying the fine.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    THANK YOU!! I can't believe how quick we are to cheer DNR for fining fellow shooters. Yea, everyone should follow the rules but an infraction doesn't make em derelicts.

The ones who go without permits are usually the ones who do stupid crap. Sorry Brad they could use a little discretion within reason if you actually had your permit. You think it's for a year but not always so.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The ones who go without permits are usually the ones who do stupid crap. Sorry Brad they could use a little discretion within reason if you actually had your permit. You think it's for a year but not always so.

I got no fault with them for the fine. I should've examined the permit more closely to know when it would expire. The first and last time that'll ever happen, I can promise you that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom