• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I was down at the range about 0930 this morning until about 1030 Range wasn't full at all and was not a bad day. When I was coming down a guy was getting the money out of the day pass box and asked if I had my permit. I thought he was going to come down to the range and ask everyone, he didn't do so.
    one group of people has several plastic bottles and jugs at the back stop shooting at them. I did mention to them that this is not allowed. now if they had some of the rubber spinning targets I wouldn't have cared, but the plastic bottles are how trash starts to be shot at and left around.

As I was leaving I went to the skeet range and picked up a few clay targets so I can recycle them the next time my son and I go to the range.

when I was leaving I saw a DNR truck oull up, as I was putting the clay targets in the back of my truck I watched the DNR officer walk along the woods that line the back of the range and watch over the range with binoculars.

It seams that we are now secretly being watched, the cameras are bad enough but now the DNR is seeking around trying to catch us.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I was down at the range about 0930 this morning until about 1030 Range wasn't full at all and was not a bad day. When I was coming down a guy was getting the money out of the day pass box and asked if I had my permit. I thought he was going to come down to the range and ask everyone, he didn't do so.
    one group of people has several plastic bottles and jugs at the back stop shooting at them. I did mention to them that this is not allowed. now if they had some of the rubber spinning targets I wouldn't have cared, but the plastic bottles are how trash starts to be shot at and left around.

As I was leaving I went to the skeet range and picked up a few clay targets so I can recycle them the next time my son and I go to the range.

when I was leaving I saw a DNR truck oull up, as I was putting the clay targets in the back of my truck I watched the DNR officer walk along the woods that line the back of the range and watch over the range with binoculars.

It seams that we are now secretly being watched, the cameras are bad enough but now the DNR is seeking around trying to catch us.

So, if we aren't violating range rules, why should we care? It IS a state park, right?:tinfoil2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Too many complaints, too many jackwagons not taking the hints.

Maybe some citations are in order. Might finally drive the point home.

It's been awhile since I've been down to the grove, last time there I heard about the camera's - and found them. In a way it bother's me that it has to come to this, but on the other hand I'm glad they're taking some measures to try and reign in some of the wilder ones.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    This was put out to let people know we are being watched. The officer sneaking around is what got me. She could have walked right down to the range and asked for permits and see what is going on. Even if we are not breaking any rules it is something to be concerned with when they are hiding in the woods watching us

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    We've known for some time now that there was monitoring going on, at the range and right here on this forum.

Any thread directly mentioning MG by name, gets read and kept track of by "our friends of the range" in Annapolis. And they're not keeping tabs to see how they can improve the facility. It's been said before, current management wants to close the range - pure and simple.

The fact that DNR is watching the range from the weeds, means one thing to me. Too many people are treating the range like a shooting gallery - anything goes. I've been there when someone was shooting at tannerite - yeah, real bright idea there.

If we don't like the DNR watching us, we need to start policing ourselves better. I know most of us that shoot at MG behave ourselves while there, but obviously we're not the reason DNR and management have gone this route.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The only issue with policing our self is that we really have no authority to do anything we can tell someone what the rules are all we want but all they have to say is mind your own damn business and we can not do much but call DNR what would bring more heat on us. we really need a full time range officer with real authority. but we all know that wont happen.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's why I'm not too upset about this.

If the DNR is watching from the weeds and observes some jackass being a jackass - sees another shooter attempt to set them straight, but the jackass disregards it and continues, then the ticket is well-deserved.

And MAYBE, just maybe, after a few of those $250 tickets get passed around. The word gets out too. MG is a range. Not a place to go act a fool with your firearms.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    We've known for some time now that there was monitoring going on, at the range and right here on this forum.

Any thread directly mentioning MG by name, gets read and kept track of by "our friends of the range" in Annapolis.

:omg:

You mean someone other than MDS members are reading our posts? And here I thought everything we said was "just among us girls".

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I try to get to MG at least once a week and have never had a problem with anyone. There was one time (recently) when some self-inflated fool decided he was in charge but he didn't say anything to me personally so no harm done. Other than that, everyone has been courteous, safe and friendly. Others may have have different experiences but I see no reason for a full time range officer to fix a non-existent problem. I can't think of a more appropriate role for DNR, given their limited staff, than to keep a distance and monitor on a spot basis. Watching this site seems like a good way to stay in touch with people's feedback. It's up to us to show proper discretion here - no different than at the range right?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

LOL cameras. Where did they plug those in and where are the cameras ? I see that cute little sign, but, I have yet to find a camera. I wish someone would post a picture of these cameras. Maybe and Is are two different things.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    To the right of table 8, up on top of the hill. There's a game camera strapped to the tree.

Obviously they didn't hardwire in full video cameras, but they have placed a few game cameras overlooking the firing line.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Spent about four hours at Myrtle grove today. got there around 1030am and shot up until 3pm. Took out a couple of newly built uppers out for a test run and they worked flawlessly. Even a 7.5" SBR worked wonders, vaporizing pieces of broken clays at the berm.

Shared a table with crazyal and his tactical beach umbrella. It was sizzling hot out there today. Guns exposed to the sun were too hot to touch in about 5 minutes.

Its been a while since i have shot pistols. The SW22 was accurate enough to hit 2" targets at 100 yards. I got Al into long range hand gunning with a 22LR pistol. Cleaned up the rest of the broken clays at the berm with the cheap SW22, open sights , unsupported.

Saw some regulars, everyone behaved and no dangerous behavior. people even picked up the brass and trash. Overall, it was an awesome day at the range.It was nice to catch up with familiar faces and talk guns with people of similar interest.

Just got home and Al is coming over . Im helping him build an AR lower this evening. darn, that is five AR s thatbim building tonight. Everyone, dedicated into pissing a libtard.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Ha. Planned on hitting MG today, went over to Sanner's instead.

Took out the Mosin and got to shoot a fellow MDS'ers Tavor. Fun bullpup, definitely something different. Going to have to find one with a lefty bolt in it though.

bigwillc

Apr 12, 2013
    Charles County - Da Dorf
    Went to Myrtle Grove today for the first just check the place out and to observe. Went out around 3 - 3:30ish with my wife and there we actually 2 available stalls or benches. Everyone there seemed nice and all were following all safety rules from what I could tell. I don't see any reason for me not to take addition trips there with my wife and kids to have a little fun with our firearms.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    To the right of table 8, up on top of the hill. There's a game camera strapped to the tree.

Obviously they didn't hardwire in full video cameras, but they have placed a few game cameras overlooking the firing line.

Seriously ? I'll have to look when I go there this morning. Not sure what practical use a trail camera is to serve. Other take a daily head count. Or maybe show when someone is there after hours. Again, that serves no value to the picture collector. Interesting. Another fine waste of our money.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Went to Myrtle Grove today for the first just check the place out and to observe. Went out around 3 - 3:30ish with my wife and there we actually 2 available stalls or benches. Everyone there seemed nice and all were following all safety rules from what I could tell. I don't see any reason for me not to take addition trips there with my wife and kids to have a little fun with our firearms.

Go several times and you will soon learn the reasons not to go. I go there to get shotshell hulls and odd brass, but, never when others are shooting. Not a chance of that again.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    They do make trail cameras that can be remotely viewed. I don't know if these are or not

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Ha. Planned on hitting MG today, went over to Sanner's instead.

Took out the Mosin and got to shoot a fellow MDS'ers Tavor. Fun bullpup, definitely something different. Going to have to find one with a lefty bolt in it though.

Lefty bolts are available. I bought 1 and got it in 3 days. If you need a link just let mr know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom