I want to sell my Rolex: Where do I start? Anyone I can talk to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I have a Rolex from 1980 (I believe) that I want to sell. I don't know too much about it, but of course, I want to get a fair price for it. Does anyone know someone in the area I can talk to that is trustworthy on this issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can try Buddy in Annapolis.

But there is also a place in Rockville that buys/sells and is supposed to have a good reputation: http://www.alanfurman.com

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    He did service on mine. Fantastic work. It came back looking brand new and keeping better time than it did from the factory. Even the bracelet looked brand new!

He also has several used Rolex watches for sale at decent prices.

FWIW, I bought mine like 10 years ago from Liljenquist & Beckstead.

That's the Buddy Hugeley (sp?) that I mentioned earlier. As I mentioned, he has serviced mine (which was bought at the Liljenquist store in Annapolis Mall for my 50th birthday in 06) and does quality work. I've also had him repair my ship's clock, and he resurrected another self winding watch for me that I had gotten salt water contaminated (forgot to screw the stem down) in Palau.

If you have an older watch, I would at least talk to him.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    FYI You don't have to open the back to get serial numbers on that watch. They (model/serial numbers) are on either side of the body once band has been removed. It's an easy job to remove and reinstall. We do it our shop several times a week for customers. If I had my guess it looks like one of the 1600 series plastic crystal non quickset for date should come in about 1980 to 84. Chris

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    FYI You don't have to open the back to get serial numbers on that watch. They (model/serial numbers) are on either side of the body once band has been removed. It's an easy job to remove and reinstall. We do it our shop several times a week for customers. If I had my guess it looks like one of the 1600 series plastic crystal non quickset for date should come in about 1980 to 84. Chris

That is not easy to find model. 1980s, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet? I thought the 80s model only came with jubilee. I have not seen them all though.
    Nice watch. i like Rolex watches. I wish i can afford them anytime.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    That is not easy to find model. 1980s, smooth bezel and oyster bracelet? I thought the 80s model only came with jubilee. I have not seen them all though.
    Nice watch. i like Rolex watches. I wish i can afford them anytime.

The model number is on the body of the watch between the "ears" of the body where the band is attached. On one side will be the serial number and the other the model number. Serial ranges can be looked up on the internet giving you within a year of manufacture. The watch in the photo is of 1600 series and 1980 would be just about right. As far as the band depending on it's life (original maybe have been damaged or worn) or the store that originally sold it, bands are switched all time. Chris

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    Okay, so I finally got a chance to pickup my official appraisal for the watch. I will be listing it the classifieds shortly with a price based on the appraisal. I will also be sending a copy of the appraisal to interested parties. Thanks to everyone for your help. I don't much about watches. I was at a complete loss when I first started thinking about this.

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I don't know anything about watches, but most people here are talking about selling to dealers. You will only get 50% (or less) of the current retail value of the watch selling to a dealer who then has to resell it and make a profit.

I sell all my stuff (mostly guitars) on eBay directly to consumers and get WAY more than I'd ever get from dealers.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Try Moren watch repair in Silver Spring. Ask for Rob Moren.
    Also you might want to join either Rolexforums.com or watchuseek.com and list it there. You could also browse their classifieds to get an idea of current pricing.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    You should look forward to $3500-5000. They are going for as much as $6k retail.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You sure it wasn't a Bolex?
    That's a Relax.

Got mine in Tijuana ($12) next to the donkey painted like a zebra. :thumbsup:

Zebra-donkey.jpg

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    For Rolex work In terms of service and advice visit Eckers clocks and watches in Bethesda. He repaired a broken spring and said my submariner after years of use, didn't need a cleaning yet. He is very trustworthy. My watch is a 1963 overhauled in 1998 by Rolex.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    OK, talked to my coworker and refreshed my memory on the subject...

Bob Ridley is in Texas and is a Rolex Service Center and is considered the best in the US
    http://www.watchmakers.com/

When he did my co-workers Rolex, he even emailed photos to him while the mechanism was out of the case as a type of progress report

One other thing i didn't see mentioned...It is generally HIGHLY recommended when having serviced to ensure they reuse the ORIGINAL hands and face as these are replaced for various reasons sometimes and to hardcore collectors can increase value quite a bit
    :thumbsup:
    Just saw this exact scenario on Pawn Stars the other nite. Keep the originals if at all possible.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    It's 2014. Who wears a watch anymore?

Civilized people, you know the ones who still know how to tie shoes instead of zippers and velcro.....:innocent0

Folks who think sporting a nice timepiece is considerably more classy than walking around like Borg-assimilated Pirates of Penzance wearing giant blinking bluetooth headsets when not in actual use. Sometimes I wish these dip$hits-in-denial would stop glancing about to see who notices how important they are, just get a mammoth gaudy earring and keep it moving.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I used to wear nice watches, until I realized how no material object you wear on your wrist, around your neck, on your fingers, or clothed on your body really matters. All that matters is what you do in this world, not what you have.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I had a nice Breitling, and I named her 2A. it stopped at 0001 on 10/1. I am going to wind it when I move further south, out of Occupied Territory. :D
    I bought a gold plated Breitling Cosmonaute while in the USN in 1969 or 1970 in SE Asia (dealer in Hong Kong). While I sold it 20 years later for more than I paid for it even with a broken crystal, I noticed that particular model (#809) gold plated can go for as much as $9k.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I can only give you $100 for it, but do you mind if I have a buddy of mine look at it first. He's an expert.

Attachments

• rick-harrison_3387857.jpg
      rick-harrison_3387857.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 86

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads