• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    After reading the many, many posts on here about the merits of the 1911, their cult-like following, and the selection of them to rent at Continental Arms, I shot my first 1911 A1 this evening.

I now can understand everyone's comment about that gun. It's nearly perfect...not much more recoil than my 9mm, a helluva lot more lead downrange, accurate as all hell, and downright comfortable to hold. Also, surprisingly thin!

I was sold and a convert with only 7 rounds through it.

Speaking of which...the gun's minor issues. I know some come in double stack, but the Springfield I shot was single, and I only got 7 rounds per mag. Also....wtf is up with the slide release? Maybe my thumbs are short, but I couldn't reach it with my strong hand before firing!

Speaking of which, the flames that come out of that barrel are really cool!

Anyway, still stoked, and looking for one at a decent price! Any recommended manufacturers? Anyone selling a used one?

Totally converted, didn't think I would be :party29:

Diogenes

Roll Tide!
    Apr 9, 2011
    Paducah, KY
    I still remember the first time I fired a 1911. It was my dad's series 70 colt gold cup. He had it all tricked out with a pachmayer buffer system. Sweet shooting gun. That trigger broke like glass. He still has it. I guess it'll be mine one day.

I've never owned one personally. Might have to rectify that, but it's way down on my list atm.

phenamunan

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn Park, MD
    "cult-like following" ?!?!? It's only the longest serving weapon system in the US military.

And as far as the slide release, there's actually two, one small one forward of the trigger guard and a big one that sticks out past the grip when the slide locks back. As one of my instructors said, one is a fine motor skill, one is a gross motor skill. Which one do you want to train for and use in a firefight?

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    "cult-like following" ?!?!? It's only the longest serving weapon system in the US military.

And as far as the slide release, there's actually two, one small one forward of the trigger guard and a big one that sticks out past the grip when the slide locks back. As one of my instructors said, one is a fine motor skill, one is a gross motor skill. Which one do you want to train for and use in a firefight?

Very true!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I always slingshot my semi-autos. I only own three 1911s, including one double-stack. If you want a basic 1911, RIA makes a milspec version. My RIA cost me $440ish OTD.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Thousands of dead German and Japanese soldiers would agree with you. I shoot my 1911's better than any other handguns I own.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Whatever 1911 you buy - just make sure its a 45ACP, and not a godamn 1911 chambered in 9mm or 40S&W!

Buy another gun if you want those calibers.

AGREED!! :thumbsup:

If you want a JMB design in 9mm, get a Hi-Power.

If you want a JMB design in .40S&W, seek mental help. :D

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you want a 1911 in 357 Magnum, get a Coonan.

Yes. :thumbsup:

I like to think JMB would've approved a .357 Mag or 10mm chambering had they been around before he passed.

For those that have yet to shoot a Coonan, you owe it to yourself to try one out - they are fun shooters.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    From a purist's perspective a double stack 1911 isn't a 1911.

:D

But they're still sexy.
    shot-show-2012-media-range-day-rock-island-double-stack-1911-45acp.jpg

For the OP, as someone mentioned, Rock Island makes a respected entry level 1911 GI model for sub $500 MSRP, and then they work their way up to a tricked out Tactical model w/fiber optic sights and VZ grips in single or STI look alike as pictured above for list prices under $800.
    That's a nice value arm considering that most 1911s similarly equipped come with price tags that will make the average handgun owner wince a bit.

H1HuL.jpg

Recent discussion on the RIA can be found here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=81663

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    But they're still sexy.
    shot-show-2012-media-range-day-rock-island-double-stack-1911-45acp.jpg

For the OP, as someone mentioned, Rock Island makes a respected entry level 1911 GI model for sub $500 MSRP, and then they work their way up to a tricked out Tactical model w/fiber optic sights and VZ grips in single or STI look alike as pictured above for list prices under $800.
    That's a nice value arm considering that most 1911s similarly equipped come with price tags that will make the average handgun owner wince a bit.

H1HuL.jpg

Recent discussion on the RIA can be found here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=81663

Thanks ill check them out!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    :lol: :lol2:

To each their own.

For me though, single-stack is how 1911's were intended to be.

Thanks, you had me concerned about you for a moment; holding your own junk is perfectly fine.:thumbsup:

From a purist's perspective a double stack 1911 isn't a 1911.

This ^^^

:D

Whatever 1911 you buy - just make sure its a 45ACP, and not a godamn 1911 chambered in 9mm or 40S&W!

Buy another gun if you want those calibers.

I shot a 9mm 1911 about 4 years ago and I could almost swear it ejaculated in my hand. Won't do that again. I'm so greatful it wasn't a fowtay as it might have tried to do the same thing in my butthole. :sad20:

1911 + 45acp + single stack = pancakes + maple syrup + butter. :D I'm starting to want me some pancakes now, yummy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom