• ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I modernize my AK's.

I can hit targets quicker...
    I can put rounds on target faster...
    I can install/remove optics without tools, such as swapping a Red Dot for a 6x Scope...
    I can operate the safety without changining my grip...
    I have a smoother Action for cleaner and easier Operation...
    I have a reliable, light and smooth 2 Stage Trigger for PREDICTABLE Shot Break...
    I can mount a Silencer (Sound Suppressor)...
    I can use a MS3 MAgpul Sling in Single and 2 Point Configurations...
    I have a longer and more precise Iron Sight radius...

All of my mods are purpose driven and are "AK Durable". None are added to look "cool", but strangely every time Im at the range people want to shoot my AK's and ask about the unique changes I made.

Only gunsmiths are allowed to do that kind of work. Who do you have do your work?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Chad,

Are you working/smithing these days? Am thinking about some mods on my sgl 21.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Only gunsmiths are allowed to do that kind of work. Who do you have do your work?

I dont know hos real name, hes quite Clandestine about it. He tells me has a large customer base and a few haters ;)

Chad,

Are you working/smithing these days? Am thinking about some mods on my sgl 21.

If you P.M. me I may be able to do something under contract at Scotts. Im not doing any regular Gunsmithing anymore though.

Im always open to consider doing new S12, AK, and AR work though.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Thats my work. I did it for Brad while we assembled and tuned his .300.

Someone will be along shortly to say it has no purpose though.

It has no purpose.:D

Since it serves no purpose I want it done to my BCG free so I can loudly complain about your lack of skillz yo.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can't take credit for that, that was all suggested and done by Chad, with me observing and absorbing knowledge like a sponge. I can however enjoy the end results of someone else's knowledge, experience and skill though. :D

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    This was 'someones' work (;)), all in less than 10 minutes or so -

View attachment 71273

View attachment 71274

For a quick tune-up, I'm sure as hell not complaining. :D

Wow, that looks awesome. Since the AK has looser tolerances of other rifles to increase reliability, does the polishing make a difference in operation? If so, I'd like to get my bolt done. I would imagine any smoothing would allow smoother, better operation. just wondering the benefit in the Ak. Thanks. Looks awesome :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can't say for the AK, but for my .300, it was done to be gentler on the brass since I reload and to smooth out the action.

I could imagine it'd take a fair deal of the grit and drag out of the AK's action as well, but I haven't tried a tuned-up AK, so I can only imagine.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am totally in the "modernize your AK camp". What makes the gun so reliable isn't the furniture, it's the operating system.

The stuff I like a lot and recommend:
    1. TWS Dogleg w/ rear peep
    2. Krebs safety (or equivalent)
    3. Hogue or US Palm pistol grip
    4. MFER (on AK-47s)

Note how none of that adds any significant weight to the rifle.

I am still torn about furniture. I like the MI AK-SS handguards because they give a lot of flexibility with rails, and should have nice heat reduction when the grip panels come out soon. But I do see how some people like the K-Var handguard, of course.

I actually don't think replacing the stock is necessary if you've got a standard fixed stock or an AK-100 stock. But with the commie-style wire folders, I'd probably replace that with a fixed stock or a Bonesteel+ACE setup.

(Also, I assume that making the action super smooth is tricky due to the way the action rides over the hammer.)

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I can't say for the AK, but for my .300, it was done to be gentler on the brass since I reload and to smooth out the action.

I could imagine it'd take a fair deal of the grit and drag out of the AK's action as well, but I haven't tried a tuned-up AK, so I can only imagine.

My polished bolt carrier was DIY but did take some drag out of my Saiga. I can work the action with my pinky now.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    All of my AK's are in stock condition at the moment. That is cause I've used any money I could get my hands on into buying more guns worrying about accessories later.

That being the case I do want to go tactical. An SLR-107 would be the base rifle since it has modern AK-100 series refining but also uses more available AKM components if the parts need replacing.

I would use a Bulgarian flash hider and a forward grip definitely. The only quandary for me would be the scope mounting option. I like the TWS setup but the cons would be not being able to use the iron sights as back up unless I remove the sight itself. If there is a quick detach device it would definitely help out a lot rather than taking the time to fiddle with the screws holding it on the rails.

The other option would be the side-mount system. It would allow the quick detach feature if necessary while allowing the use of iron sights at the same time. However the con is I wouldn't be able to use the side-folding capability for storage or transport.

The optic choices for me are either going to be Meprolight or Russian surplus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom