• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Question: What do you get when you mix 1 pound of lead containing 3% antimony with 1 pound of pure lead?

Answer (normal people): 2 pounds of lead with 1.5% antimony.

Answer: (MDShooters): 2 pounds of lead with 3% antimony and some great s'hrooms.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Agree. But unfortunately, the retention factor is relatively limited in most all-leathers should things go to the ground. I say this with one of my carry guns currently sitting in an new all-leather OWB for an initial break in.

I have to say that I've been relatively impressed by the Urban Carry LockLeather line, though. Essentially an adjustable polymer retention clip that provides adjustable retention to the front of the trigger guard that is embedded in the leather. It doesn't try to marry kydex to leather like a sandwich over an appreciable area like a lot of hybrids do.

I bought one of those Urban Carry LockLether. I fought with it for a week to get it adapt to my gun with the suggestions that came with the holster and from the emails...(and as you would expect the emails treated me like I never read the suggestions that came with the holster and I get that...how many times have I asked two questions from someone in an email and they half read it and reply to only one question?) Anyway, the instructions were, put the gun in plastic bag or cloth bag that comes with the holster and put, (shove with all you might) the gun in the holster overnight. Fail. Then I put the gun in a plastic bag and also in the cloth bag that came with the gun and left for 5 days. Fail, again. When I put the holster on my belt with gun in it, I can NOT get the gun out...hurt my shoulder. Ridiculous.

Sent it back for a replacement.

In the mean time I bought a very similar design leather retention holster from DeSantis and using the same method of putting the gun in a plastic bag overnight worked in 2 days. I've been using it successfully. It had a thumb break and I cut that off...not learning a new muscle memory skill that is not on other holster I might use. Still, works great and I recommend it.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I bought one of those Urban Carry LockLether. I fought with it for a week to get it adapt to my gun with the suggestions that came with the holster and from the emails...(and as you would expect the emails treated me like I never read the suggestions that came with the holster and I get that...how many times have I asked two questions from someone in an email and they half read it and reply to only one question?) Anyway, the instructions were, put the gun in plastic bag or cloth bag that comes with the holster and put, (shove with all you might) the gun in the holster overnight. Fail. Then I put the gun in a plastic bag and also in the cloth bag that came with the gun and left for 5 days. Fail, again. When I put the holster on my belt with gun in it, I can NOT get the gun out...hurt my shoulder. Ridiculous.

Sent it back for a replacement.

In the mean time I bought a very similar design leather retention holster from DeSantis and using the same method of putting the gun in a plastic bag overnight worked in 2 days. I've been using it successfully. It had a thumb break and I cut that off...not learning a new muscle memory skill that is not on other holster I might use. Still, works great and I recommend it.

Sounds like got a lemon. Hopefully they make it right. I have an IWB and OWB version for one of my guns. The IWB was a perfect fit essentially out of the box. I had to adjust the tension screw on the clip for the OWB a few times to get that right (it was over tensioned out of the box and was a bugger to seat the gun correctly initially). Neither needed the "bag over" treatment for break in, though.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I've always broken in my decent leather holsters by giving the pistol two wraps of household waxed paper, pushing it firmly into the holster and leaving it sit a few days.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I've always broken in my decent leather holsters by giving the pistol two wraps of household waxed paper, pushing it firmly into the holster and leaving it sit a few days.
    This was the method that Blaster shared w/me some time ago. It's worked well for the three leather holsters I have in use so far. Galco also makes a solution they market as "Draw-Ez" that helps reduce friction between the firearm and the holster-- I've found it to be moderately effective but not an immediate cure all panacea per se. As for the question of leather vs. Kydex for EDC-- I'm moving swiftly into the leather pancake camp. I do get a little squeakiness when its leather on leather-- that is easily mitigated by application of a bit of leather balm at the contact points.

Last edited:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Sounds like got a lemon. Hopefully they make it right. I have an IWB and OWB version for one of my guns. The IWB was a perfect fit essentially out of the box. I had to adjust the tension screw on the clip for the OWB a few times to get that right (it was over tensioned out of the box and was a bugger to seat the gun correctly initially). Neither needed the "bag over" treatment for break in, though.

At one point I removed the retention apparatus completely and the gun would still not come out of the holster.

In Urban Carry's defense, they make the holsters by hand, so a simple 1/4" would be a problem and I was told the "break-in" method will not interfere with returning it for a replacement. My replacement should be here in a few days.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

I must be weird . With a cpl exceptions * , I usually break in holsters Bareback and Dry . Make funny face , shove hard , snap in place , and set aside to check in a week or so .

Exception - If you need to make major adjustments , or are seeking the band boned look so close that you can read the s/n , then wet the leather , and use gun condom .

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    I got USPS mail today, on Sunday!

Took the holster out to begin break-in period. I unloosened the retention screw 3 turns and proceeded. See video.

I think Urban Carry's auto holster finder is messed up. If you can't tell, it's a XDs 3.3, with loaded mag and an empty chamber. Tied it, fail. Took 3 videos to get one acceptable and my right shoulder hurts. I really did try to get that gun in there, but it is obviously not designed for my gun.

Reminder, a very similar DeSantis leather holster with a retention screw device only took 2 days to break-in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom