• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    Quit being a poor and buy a reputable holster designed for your gun before you accidentally blow your privey member of stoned off.

I am running bravo concealment torsion holsters. They work really work.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Can I hijack this thread and talk about holsters generally?

I've got several handguns. Every one has at least one Kydex holster, even though I don't really plan on carrying all of them. I just want the option.

I've come to the conclusion, finally, after trying several brands of Kydex that I just don't like the stuff. Call me a contrarian. They all seem secure. They all seem very decent. Like a Glock (got a couple of them, too), I just can't like the things. I'm ordering two new leather holsters right now for my two likely carry pieces...one for the Sig SP2022 from Craft Holsters, and one for the P365 from Andrews Leather. I used to use leather way back in the dark ages. I'm hoping I love it now. Big lead time. But it's ok. There's a big lead time on my W&C too.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is on holster material. I'm assuming most folks are using Kydex, but maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps I'm getting old and curmudgeonly. I don't seem to like the new fangled stuff. I really don't like striker fired pistols (the P365 is a compromise for all its' other excellent properties). I don't like plastic holsters. I don't like thumbs forward shooting grips. I do like the the composite frame on the SP2022 over the similar, higher end P229 so maybe I'm not totally lost. Although, I don't know anyone else fond of the SP2022, so maybe I'm still a mess.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    Can I hijack this thread and talk about holsters generally?

I've got several handguns. Every one has at least one Kydex holster, even though I don't really plan on carrying all of them. I just want the option.

I've come to the conclusion, finally, after trying several brands of Kydex that I just don't like the stuff. Call me a contrarian. They all seem secure. They all seem very decent. Like a Glock (got a couple of them, too), I just can't like the things. I'm ordering two new leather holsters right now for my two likely carry pieces...one for the Sig SP2022 from Craft Holsters, and one for the P365 from Andrews Leather. I used to use leather way back in the dark ages. I'm hoping I love it now. Big lead time. But it's ok. There's a big lead time on my W&C too.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is on holster material. I'm assuming most folks are using Kydex, but maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps I'm getting old and curmudgeonly. I don't seem to like the new fangled stuff. I really don't like striker fired pistols (the P365 is a compromise for all its' other excellent properties). I don't like plastic holsters. I don't like thumbs forward shooting grips. I do like the the composite frame on the SP2022 over the similar, higher end P229 so maybe I'm not totally lost. Although, I don't know anyone else fond of the SP2022, so maybe I'm still a mess.
    I like leather as well, I could carry a gun I don’t like but I need to like the holster.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Both materials have their place. I have a Survival Sheath Systems kydex holster and mag carrier shoulder holster rig that I love, as well as a kydex Phlster Enigma that I'm going to try to learn to love. For a belt carry holster I prefer a leather pancake, as long as it doesn't squeak when I move. Leather belt + leather holster sometimes squeaks for me. To each his/her own.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Does anybody know if a hellcat can fit in Glock 43x holster or will I need to buy too
    No, it won't.

While you're at it, let us remind you:

a) not to put 85 octane Gasoline in your Diesel engine,
    b) do not plug 4 appliances into the same extension cord,
    c) do not try and tow a 4 ton trailer with a 1 7/8th inch hitch and ball.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    No, it won't.

While you're at it, let us remind you:

a) not to put 85 octane Gasoline in your Diesel engine,
    b) do not plug 4 appliances into the same extension cord,
    c) do not try and tow a 4 ton trailer with a 1 7/8th inch hitch and ball.

Can we still tug on Superman's cape?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I wouldn't mind a leather holster for OWB, I will probably get a pancake style for my (new to me) revolver just because. It may be useful for camping / hiking some day.

When I carry though, it's always IWB and kydex is preferable for several reasons... sweat resistance, not collapsing when/if the firearm is drawn, keeps firearm rigidly in position, more/less resistance on the belt does not significantly change the difficulty of drawing the firearm (again due to rigidity).

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    JE Machine Tech Glock 19 Polymer OWB Holster that I bought from Cheaper than Dirt. It's no longer visible on that website, but it's still on the manufacturer's website, which is where the link at the bottom will take you.
    "Made of durable, high-tech, black polymer
    Comfortable OWB carry, fits belts 1"- 1 1/2" width
    Right-handed holster uses a unique patented retention system with a zero-time to disengage feature
    User presses the release lever allowing for instant draw action for the G19, 23, 25, 28, and 32 sized Glock frames"

JE Machine Tech. (n.d.). Glock polymer g19 holster. https://jemachinetech.us/glock-polymer-g19-holster/ accessed September 14, 2022.

Attachments

• Glock 19 Holster.jpg
      Glock 19 Holster.jpg
      187.3 KB · Views: 73

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Can we still tug on Superman's cape?
    Yes, but don't spit into the wind.

Now to holster material, I have a couple of nylon holsters I like, a couple of kydex that are ok but not overly fond of, leather has and will always be my favorite. I like to rub them down with a conditioner to soften them a bit and allow them a little time to mold to the pistol or revolver.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Personal preference aside, Kydex is better for carry, doesn't retain moisture like leather, and has built in retention. Bianchi has a nice holster that sandwiches Kydex between two pieces of leather, so you get the nice looking leather with the stiffness of Kydex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom