• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    And herein lies the problem. Entrenched progressives without viable opposition. Even with a 2:1 disadvantage, Republicans should be able to field more candidates than they do. The question is what’s stopping them.

That is exactly what I want to know. I haven't seen an actual contest for ANY State seat of consequence in my District since I moved here in 1978. The DemocRATic machine runs the state and seems to "disappear" any R or I who would be a viable candidate well before the primaries.

And please don't give me the old "Why don't you run?" BS question. If whoever asks that was so motivated maybe THEY could run, OK?

Personally, I think this picture should become a dual icon/meme around Primary and Election times.

It's a portrait of a state government that was bought and paid for by out-of-state lobbyists and money. It is a portrait of treachery and Swamp politics in action. :mad54:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I've had some time to mull this one over.

Reason to vote for Hogan:
    To piss off the Democrat machine in MD

Reason to not vote for him:
    To punish the POS for stabbing us in the back

Practical effect of him being in office vs a Democrat:
    No difference.

I now think it would be best to not vote for him.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Personally, I think this picture should become a dual icon/meme around Primary and Election times.

It's a portrait of a state government that was bought and paid for by out-of-state lobbyists and money. It is a portrait of treachery and Swamp politics in action. :mad54:

I think this picture of Hogan happily signing the gun confiscation law kills any national political ambitions, at least as a Republican.

Reminds me of the Chris Christie flyer supporting the assault rifle ban that stuck with Christie ever since ...

chrischristie_1995gun2.jpg

The images get used in commercials and tend to be more effective and memorable than soundbites or quotes from the past.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What difference does it make a Republican governor cant veto anything in this state

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Not directed to you, but using to re-ask a question to others. Was it accurate that a Hogan veto during the last legislative session couldn't be easily overriden?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not directed to you, but using to re-ask a question to others. Was it accurate that a Hogan veto during the last legislative session couldn't be easily overriden?

This bill would have had a Special Session called to veto. Bills passed in an election year cannot be overridden the next session.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I know most of you on this thread are big fans of NPR and listen regularly so I'm surprised I haven't seen this posted yet. ;)

Here are the Governor's remarks as reported by WAMU (NPR) this morning:

“We’re signing common sense, bipartisan measures that will keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill and those with criminal backgrounds,” Hogan said."

https://wamu.org/story/18/04/24/ban-bump-stocks-among-new-gun-regulations-maryland/

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I think this picture of Hogan happily signing the gun confiscation law kills any national political ambitions, at least as a Republican.

Reminds me of the Chris Christie flyer supporting the assault rifle ban that stuck with Christie ever since ...

chrischristie_1995gun2.jpg

The images get used in commercials and tend to be more effective and memorable than soundbites or quotes from the past.

This didn't help Christie either:

Obama%20and%20Christie.jpg

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hogan would have signed these restrictions if they were presented to him. The guy won't even get in a photo op with MSI.

The only pics of him with any 2A folks (Officially) are the two bill signings he did for the shell casing repeal and the fingerprint requirement renewal repeal.

Other than that, he wouldn't even come out to any of the rallies we held in Annapolis.

But he has had absolutely no problem coming out to blaze orange day, putting on an orange hat and taking pics with them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This bill would have had a Special Session called to veto. Bills passed in an election year cannot be overridden the next session.

I doubt a special session would have been called to over ride the veto, especially in an election year. It would have taken too much time away from running for office and fundraising.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Per the Maryland Constitution, any veto by the Governor, on any bill after the close of the legislative session in an election year (the last session of an election cycle), cannot be over ridden by the legislature in the first session of a new election cycle.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    And herein lies the problem. Entrenched progressives without viable opposition. Even with a 2:1 disadvantage, Republicans should be able to field more candidates than they do. The question is what’s stopping them.

Without making excuses for anyone, part of the issue is money. It's not cheap to run a decent campaign.

Another is time. It eats your life for months.

Yet another is futility. There used to be Republicans from MoCo - remember Connie Morella? But once all the districts got effectively gerrymandered, campaigning no longer mattered, since the outcome had been rigged beforehand.

Not too many people have the time and money to spend in a predetermined exercise in futility. GOP is not going to spend bigtime to run candidates who have no chance to win, and few people are strong-minded enough to fight a losing battle for the principle of the thing.

Beyond that, running against a candidate in a rigged election validates the electoral process as it exists. "See? We beat the GOP handily. Obviously the voters much prefer our brand to theirs."

I've come to seriously dislike Mr Hogan, thanks to his recent actions. Just the same, I'll hold my nose and vote for him, because the only chance in my remaining lifespan to redistrict MD rides on his being elected. Whether he will have the ability to reform the electoral districts is unknowable, but it certainly will not be done with a Dem in the office.

So, a vote for Hogan is the only option left against true tyranny, however weak a reed he may prove to be.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I doubt a special session would have been called to over ride the veto, especially in an election year. It would have taken too much time away from running for office and fundraising.

Ed Zachary. Which makes this worse. Either he believes in the bill, doesn't have a clue or is willfully ignorant for political expediency. None of them are acceptable.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I've come to seriously dislike Mr Hogan, thanks to his recent actions. Just the same, I'll hold my nose and vote for him, because the only chance in my remaining lifespan to redistrict MD rides on his being elected. Whether he will have the ability to reform the electoral districts is unknowable, but it certainly will not be done with a Dem in the office.

I'm sorry, but this is just so short-sighted and, honestly, kind of selfish. Plenty of us are much younger or have kids who will be in this state long after we're gone. This isn't just about the next few terms, it's about the long term fight, and Hogan winning re-election doesn't help us long term.

So, a vote for Hogan is the only option left against true tyranny, however weak a reed he may prove to be.

Hogan literally signed his name on tyranny yesterday, so a vote for Hogan is a vote for tyranny, too. What would you be accomplishing?

ETA: And a 2A supporter claiming that a vote for a grabber is the "only" option left against tyranny is kind of funny, in a sad, darkly ironic sort of way.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Per the Maryland Constitution, any veto by the Governor, on any bill after the close of the legislative session in an election year (the last session of an election cycle), cannot be over ridden by the legislature in the first session of a new election cycle.
    Thanks once again, gents.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Yea, this sucks. No gun control is acceptable to me.

Support a better candidate in the R primaries but get in line if we can’t get a better candidate.

Sitting it out or voting D in the general election because he’s imperfect is really suicidal IMO.

Anyone who might replace him would be 100x worse. Cutting off your nose to spite your face. A lib governor would push full ban on possession of any semi auto or magazine.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This state didn't get this way overnight. It is going to take some time to undue this democratic mess. To no vote or vote for Dem is spitting in the wind. We can try rewriting a better bill and get it submitted next Legislative session and get this bad law repealed.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Yea, this sucks. No gun control is acceptable to me.

Support a better candidate in the R primaries but get in line if we can’t get a better candidate.

Sitting it out or voting D in the general election because he’s imperfect is really suicidal IMO.

Anyone who might replace him would be 100x worse. Cutting off your nose to spite your face. A lib governor would push full ban on possession of any semi auto or magazine.

This state didn't get this way overnight. It is going to take some time to undue this democratic mess. To no vote or vote for Dem is spitting in the wind. We can try rewriting a better bill and get it submitted next Legislative session and get this bad law repealed.

:banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom