• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    The only problem with TMGN is it has less lanes and no online reservation system. The online reservation system is the best idea I have ever heard of. I think I once waited 3 or 4 hours to shoot at MSAR.

I had an annual membership at OnTarget for a year and one could call in a reservation and they would reserve a lane for you at your chosen time that day. I asked the folks at TMGN if I could do that and they said that I could not as it was first come first served. An on-line reservation system would be great, but I'd even settle for a telephone reservation system like they have at OnTarget. It is a compromise but better than nothing.

Cal68

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    The Neiman Marcus of indoor ranges is a perfect way to describe this place. When I walked in, I was confused. Did I just enter a high end fitness center in Bethesda to play racquetball? Maybe an investment bank on Wall Street? No, it is a shooting range, training center with a simulator, and an impressive retail operation focusing on self defense firearms. Two on a lane is only $35.00 per hour, which includes three targets of your choice, and ear and eye pro. They will also allow you to use your own protection if you have it. Tons of brand spanking new rental guns as well. You can bring your own ammo, but if you rent a gun you shoot their bullets. Ammo prices are regular retail.

The place is safe, clean, and it is the most impressive indoor range I have ever seen. The staff treated us like royalty. They act like they are happy to see an old friend when you walk in the door. Not only that they sweep your brass, hang your targets, and are very welcoming.

They also have conference rooms available and can do corporate events. It's clear they are focusing on the high end market, women and first timers. The price is reasonable for what they offer. They also have a number of training courses.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Haven't been there yet, but I am a little disappointed with what I saw on their web site.

On this page:

http://www.heritagetrainingcenter.com/classes/md-handgun-qualification-course-hql

it says the cost for the HQL class is $160.

On this page:

https://reservations.heritagetrainingcenter.com/Info.aspx?EventID=3

it says the price for the HQL class is $165.

That aside, it looks like it is a great addition for the Frederick area.

You may not be their target market ;)

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Looking at that fee, I was wondering if it was all inclusive w/ prints and application. Does not appear to be at all. Seems steep to me for 4 hours. Glad the Mrs. is exempt from training.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Haven't been there yet, but I am a little disappointed with what I saw on their web site.

On this page:

http://www.heritagetrainingcenter.com/classes/md-handgun-qualification-course-hql

it says the cost for the HQL class is $160.

On this page:

https://reservations.heritagetrainingcenter.com/Info.aspx?EventID=3

it says the price for the HQL class is $165.

That aside, it looks like it is a great addition for the Frederick area.

Probably not, as I already have my papers.

My comment was more about them quoting two different prices, than anything else.

SonOfSpartans

Jun 7, 2013
    Two nice ranges to choose from is nice. Heritage is more of a Guntry Club atmosphere to be sure. I took a tour during an open house. For me, the most interest at that facility would be the ability to rent the Video Simulation room. Great dry fire training as well as fun. Putting up a dueling tree and going against another shooter is fun.

I was disappointed by policy not allowing youth shooting at Heritage. That is also a demographic of interest IMO. I was also surprised that they were not offering memberships. They appear to be going for the training and occasional target time on the range. It IS an expensive way to shoot. If one were to actually go shoot even ONE hour a week as a couple and SHARED a lane, the cost of a membership at other ranges is reached in 10 weeks.

From what was said an on display, they will also only carry defensive ammunition. They did not intend to have any "target ammo" for sale. While I totally agree with the concept of training and testing defensive ammunition in a firearm intended to fill the role, the cost of ammo is very high. If you want to use target rounds, bring them with you.

I concur on the observation of the staff. Friendly and helpful.

I will visit there from time to time and hope they succeed. There are apparently plans to open several of these centers up and down the coast. The range SOP is designed around safety (good) and making new/inexperienced shooters comfortable. It is not as well suited to the "action shooting sport" crowd.

SonOfSpartans

Jun 7, 2013
    Is this in the simulation room or out on the range?

Simulation room. They let us play in there for a while during the open house. For me it was the biggest draw. (pun?) As a competition shooter, dry fire is good practice and this is a fun way to go. Hope they make it available.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Simulation room. They let us play in there for a while during the open house. For me it was the biggest draw. (pun?) As a competition shooter, dry fire is good practice and this is a fun way to go. Hope they make it available.

So the simulation room is not available for general use now? Do they use it only for courses or is it just not ready for prime time yet?

Wicked

Aug 11, 2015
    Given all the massive changes they've had there in the past 2 weeks, terminating the general manager, support staff, the training director...I'm not sure they know quite what they are doing. The guy who is running the place now is one of the rudest I've ever met. Totally against hunters ("that's not our brand"), criticizes everyone, and condescending. Looked like it would be a great place to shoot, but with him there, no way I'm going back. Plenty of other options to go instead of with that jackass running the joint.

I can imagine the money invested in that place and who owns it. Too bad that guy is going to run it into the ground.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Given all the massive changes they've had there in the past 2 weeks, terminating the general manager, support staff, the training director...I'm not sure they know quite what they are doing. The guy who is running the place now is one of the rudest I've ever met. Totally against hunters ("that's not our brand"), criticizes everyone, and condescending. Looked like it would be a great place to shoot, but with him there, no way I'm going back. Plenty of other options to go instead of with that jackass running the joint.

I can imagine the money invested in that place and who owns it. Too bad that guy is going to run it into the ground.

Details???
    What happened?

sig357shooter

Aug 12, 2015
    Try for yourself

I am brand new to shooting and joined this forum because my husband and me are just getting into shooting. I find it discouraging to see that other shooters are trashing a place especially to new people getting started. Maybe the changes where necessary for the place to be better. We have not had any complaints from there. I am sure that the rudest guy has been replaced so I would recommend checking it out for yourself before you judge based on a comment on a computer. Who knows the post could have been created by whoever was terminated. There aren't a lot of options actually in the area and we rather enjoy the date night they have. New spin especially being married a while. lol We love it and have never been treated rudely so we will continue to go back. Be your own judge.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Lots of new members posting in this thread. Just sayin'

Yeah. I'm not sure what the deal is with these mystery posts that hint at the sign of trouble with an interesting story yet lack any solid details.

I'm in there at least 2x per week and all seems well. They are hiring people and the place seems to be getting busier. Heritage is my favorite indoor range, bar none. They try to create a warm and inviting atmosphere, with kind, intelligent staff, which makes it comfortable for new shooters and experienced folks alike. Their hql classes seem to be popular as well.

Last week, I took a friend who is about as anti-gun as you could ever meet. I could tell that after her first trip her perspective started to change. We need places that will welcome new folks, and introduce them to shooting the right way. It helps us when we have diverse advocates on our side helping to promote gun ownership.

If you have a wife you would like to get more into shooting, take a trip down to this place with her. An anti gun friend or coworker? Take them. A neighbor who would like to shoot...take them. A seasoned shooter who doesn't want to deal with morons...take them. Just make sure you set expectations that after the first trip they will need to bring their own ammo so you don't go broke letting someone else shoot up all of your stuff like I did. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom