• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    556 is a wounding round NOT a Kill round. 762x39 is a Killing Round. 545 is on the same track to wound not kill...

We Think 556 was a better choice when actually it was related to monetary and weight not effectiveness.

IMO 762 Nato is a better route. as well as the Russian equal 762x54...

I will eat the popcorn to this statement, the thread can be pretty big on people's opinions.

I"m an Engineer so I deal in probabilities and lesser to the extent of absolutes.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    In the US .223 is more available than 7.62x39. Both rounds are very accurate in the right hands. I would go with the .223 because most of the weapons that you would confiscate would be chambered in standard calibers.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I agree 223 is more popular but it also has to be who has what.
    Just cause a % of people stock pile 223 or 7.62x39 does not mean the % guns people shoot will match
    Take a typical sample of the 20% or so people with a gun and how much ammo they have

Mike 100 rounds of 9mm
    Tyrone 25 rounds of 00 buck
    Bob 36 rounds of 38
    Tim 300 rounds of 223
    Justin 100 rounds of 7.69x39
    Bubba 40,523 rounds of 223 and 12,325 rounds of 7.62x39

Who knows if Bubba has friends, who he will give his extra guns and ammo to?

African or European? Fully laden?

Attachments

• bridgekeeper.jpg
      bridgekeeper.jpg
      6.2 KB · Views: 149

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    but in most situations, the looters would be robbing the local gun shops, Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop's, etc. Most of these shops carry a larger stock of 223 ammunition , than they do of 7.62x39. I agree that most hoarders will have a variety of ammunition that the every day criminal wouldn't have or even have knowledge of. There are more black guns in the general publics hands then there are SKS's, AK-47's, AK-74's and other 7.62x39 variants. If you want to look at what is available to the normal low end gun owner, then most of them have 9mm's, 40 cal's, 380's because of the cheaper price and they are more available.

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I know most of us own rifles in various configurations but if you are talking urban environment, don't over look 12 gauge. The guns and ammo are VERY plentiful and easier to use for those with minimal training or experience. If you are talking about open warfare among the public, I bet you will see a lot of shotguns being used.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I know most of us own rifles in various configurations but if you are talking urban environment, don't over look 12 gauge. The guns and ammo are VERY plentiful and easier to use for those with minimal training or experience. If you are talking about open warfare among the public, I bet you will see a lot of shotguns being used.

Well, based on the open warfare among the public in Baltimore, I'd say mostly 9mm or .22lr.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Uh, weight considerations are certainly important in regards to effectiveness. I'd rather have 210 rounds of 5.56 that can be fired effectively full auto from a shouldered rifle or rapidly and accurately in semiauto then 100rnds that is completely spray and pray on full auto and isn't as accurate or at least not as rapid fire in semiauto.

With a more civilian type kit where it is going to be more skirmished with limited to no body armor weighing you down the weight difference may not be as important, but you can still carry more ammo for the same weight.

Also since we aren't talking Geneva convention here, gold dots and other expanding ammo make the 5.56 a very effective round. Heck even MHPBT is pretty effective.

I'd love to have an AR-10 or some other .308 as a battle rifle or SHTF rifle, but 5.56 still serves better for a lot of reasons and .308 serves better in only an very limited range of circumstances. It makes a great hunting rifle, sniper rifle and fixed position battle rifle. Not the kind of thing I'd want to be humping all over hell and beyond. Maybe if I was part of a squad or platoon where everyone else was backing me up and I was acting as the designated marksman.

I guess since I have Humped M240s and M249s and SMAWS and plenty of added equipment I am aware of by experience.

Don't get me wrong 556 is effective...just that 762 is more effective...

I base my requirement on "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" and contact discipline and not spray and pray.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    but in most situations, the looters would be robbing the local gun shops, Dicks Sporting Goods, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop's, etc. Most of these shops carry a larger stock of 223 ammunition , than they do of 7.62x39. I agree that most hoarders will have a variety of ammunition that the every day criminal wouldn't have or even have knowledge of. There are more black guns in the general publics hands then there are SKS's, AK-47's, AK-74's and other 7.62x39 variants. If you want to look at what is available to the normal low end gun owner, then most of them have 9mm's, 40 cal's, 380's because of the cheaper price and they are more available.

Is this an TEOTWAWKI situation, or civil war? The later would probably have a lot less random looting. In all likelihood you'd have more geographic divides then strict political divides forcing such a situation.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    OK. I'll play this what if game...forget about calibers. Can you say booby traps and IEDs? That's all you need. The majority of people in this country don't know how to secure food and water left alone anything else. Have you ever been to Walmart? You hope none of them will be your teammate!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    OK. I'll play this what if game...forget about calibers. Can you say booby traps and IEDs? That's all you need. The majority of people in this country don't know how to secure food and water left alone anything else. Have you ever been to Walmart? You hope none of them will be your teammate!

Any food and water left alone is fair game.

j/k

I know what you meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom