• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buschman

Mar 6, 2024
    New Market
    Just wanted to say hello from New Market, Maryland. Really sort of found my love for firearms later in life. No family history or experience with guns. Had a shot gun for well over a decade for home defense, but didn't do much with it. Then a couple years back, just had a desire to get more experience and proficiency with firearms. Took my HQL and picked up my first handgun, a Sig P320. Since then have become more interested in learning and improving my skillset and understanding of firearms and their use.

I guess initially I was looking to learn more about local shooting ranges. Have been to The Machine Gun Nest. Mostly good experiences. Had one range officer there I wasn't a fan of, but I believe he is no longer there.

Last year, went on a camping trip to GreenRidge state forest park. They have a gun range, a very different experience, Outdoors, much longer range. At the time we visited, no range officer, only one other shooter and we just coordinated when to cease fire and walk down range to setup target. It was fun and, with the longer ranges, was better for rifles.

I suppose, with my limited experience, just looking for other ranges and places to shoot to get more experience.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Welcome from Montgomery County. I too am a member of The Machine Gun Nest. There is another indoor range in Frederick called Heritage Training and Shooting Center but their membership rates are higher than at the TMGN.

Cal68

buschman

Mar 6, 2024
    New Market
    Appreciate all the welcomes. If any of you from the area, please let me know what outdoor ranges you like to frequent and why.

Appreciate the idea of the Isaac Walton League. I believe a friend was mentioning Mt. Airy's IWLA, but said it was invite only(and he is not a member). Is that the case for just that one or all IWLAs?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Appreciate all the welcomes. If any of you from the area, please let me know what outdoor ranges you like to frequent and why.

Appreciate the idea of the Isaac Walton League. I believe a friend was mentioning Mt. Airy's IWLA, but said it was invite only(and he is not a member). Is that the case for just that one or all IWLAs?
    That is not the case for all of them.

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore

Welcome.
    I like going to the PA state game lands shooting ranges. $30/yr, free guest. Some of them have rifle ranges up to 300 yds, you can check online. It's a bit of a drive but well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom